anger

_Anonymous

anger

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:03 pm

I was very upset at my 24 yr old son recently. I felt he has been
very selfish and I resented him for that.

As I talked with a friend about it I used a swear word while speaking
and was quite suprsied at ALL the anger from me....I am not usually
that angry. Is confession/repentance enough I am ashamed of my behavior and have not been able to forgive myself.
PLs pray for me and any help is appreciated.................
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:25 pm

Friend,

I can totally relate to this. I found myself very jealous when I heard Steve say he was almost instantly delivered of his anger problem when he was baptized in the Spirit. It didn't happen for me like that. I've had to struggle with this my whole Christian life. For me, fits of rage mostly take place on the inside without too much external expression, but it's still there.

I have noticed that my attitude has changed greatly, however, as I begin to see others as God sees me, as a sinner in need of forgiveness. Paul said:

Eph 4:31-32
31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.
NKJV

I think it's not a matter of us forgiving ourselves, but learning to forgive others as God forgave us. He requires it (Matt 18 ).

I'll tell you what really touched me fairly recently was Steve's lecture called "Refuse to be offended" on his topical MP3 download page. I liked it so much, I used it in a sermon I gave in the prison a couple of months ago and I still have people telling me how much it's helped them with their anger towards others. If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend listening to it. Hope that helps a little. I can truly sympathize with you on this one.

God bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:25 pm

Dear Friend,

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Be assured He has forgiven you - there is no need to feel guilt. He knows "we all stumble in many ways" and He loves us anyway. If He died for us "while we were yet sinners", how much more will He love us who are His sheep! If we stray, He will come find us.

Blessings and peace, Homer
Reason:
A Berean

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:28 pm

I heartily agree with Christopher on the tape!
Reason:
A Berean

_Anonymous

anger

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:13 am

I am so thankful for the two posts I rec'd........
thanks Christopher for sharing on anger
its been a strong sin to overcome. I need
to ask the Lord for help more instead of
trying to conquer this monster alone.
Reason:

_Anonymous

anger

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:15 am

PS Yes, I have listend to Steve's tape on refuse to be offended.......
I will listen again and then seek the Lord Jesus on healing.
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:46 am

Great thread as it relates to me.

I'm a father of a toddler and an infant.
There is often something going on that sets my blood boiling and usually the some of the first things that come to mind are swear words. I love Jesus and hate those words, yet there they are. I repent soon after, but I don't seem to make any progress.

Any thoughts on dealing with anger on issues not related to sinful behaviour in others (ie. my infant wakes up at 5 am every morning)?

Another question:
Verses like Pr 27:19 and Luke 6:45 make me wonder what is in my heart that makes such anger and vile words come out?
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:22 pm

I also have a very small children and I can relate brother. Our expectations of parenthood can often decieve us.

For me, anger often manifests itself unexpectedly when something happens without warning. For instance, when I got into a little fender bender a few years ago, words were flying out of my mouth that I thought I had long since abandoned. It troubled me at the time. On the other hand, when I expect that something might happen, I can usually prepare myself spiritually for it and it's not so bad. At 5am, if you are suddenly coming out of a deep slumber, you are hardly prepared to intercept reflexive anger with prayer and meditation. But I love the fact that God gives us these experiences because we become humbled by them and eventually we no longer feel anger, but a desire to serve obediently.

I think it's important to remember that our sanctification is a lifelong process that is only completed when we die (at least I believe so). I would hazard to guess that even though you still exhibit anger in your heart, you probably have also exhibited a great deal of mercy and grace, more so than before you became a believer. At least that's my experience. I like to remember that my sanctification is certain. Jesus prayed it for us (John 17:17).

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

God bless.
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:20 am

it continues to amaze me how the enemy continues to deceive me trying to make me believe I am alone in this trial...The LORD continues to
show me through various means, such as your posts, that these sins
are experienced by my brethren in the world. It is when we can talk about and pray one for the other that we have fellowship..
Thanks
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:35 am

Christopher and Friend,

Solid Feedback. As I consider the instances when I've lost my temper, I see a selfish attitude at the core of response.
Perhaps as we move closer and closer to the selflessness of Jesus as the Holy Spirit sanctifies us, our angry reactions will continue to diminish and will be replaced with His meekness and humility.

Thanks for the honesty.
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”