Do any of you participate in other online forums?

morbo3000

Do any of you participate in other online forums?

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm

I've been looking at reddit.com/r/christianity lately. Haven't participated yet, but I will. Some of the other subreddits look interesting also

Do any of you participate in other forums?

Do any of you spend time at reddit?
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

jriccitelli

Re: Do any of you participate in other online forums?

Post by jriccitelli » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:42 pm

I use various alias on other forums, if i do, and there are more forums out there than i imagined.
http://www.christianforums.com/
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/index.php
http://www.debate.org/debates
There are others, and I do an automotive forum often also. but i do like the format here the best, this is very intellectual, as many have too much trivial clutter. I found that if you donate to some sites you can remove some of the banners and annoying ads. i try to encourage other believers i know to participate in forums because i feel it really is a good challenge in your studies and ability to form arguments for the faith. It is educational to experience the variety of beliefs among Christians, and realize where we ourselves may be wrong or misinformed.
i did not want to encourage people to go to other sites, i suggest to friends that they visit here, and donate here also :)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 pm

I have signed up with several others. But like JR, I find that some of them are "have too much trivial clutter".

The only other forum in which I am currently active is the "Evangelical Universalist" forum. I find the participants just as "intellectual" and challenging as this forum. And like most members of this forum, they are respectful toward each other regardless of differences in understanding.

http://www.evangelicaluniversalist.com/forum/index.php
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I spend most of my time online at either this forum or the evangelical universalist forum Paidion linked to. In the last year though, I've almost entirely just read the posts daily. It's been a long while since I contributed to either.

Grace and peace to you all.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:15 pm

I post at rethinkinghell.com as Singalphile. Only a few posters there it seems, and the topic is always the same. I also don't post here very regularly these days, but I read all posts except the very long ones with huge paragraphs and no scripture references.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:39 pm

I posted a few places over the years. I post on one ex-JW Forum where there is a good spirit. Most ex-JW Forums get bogged down with trash-talk and a glut of atheists that only want to discourage spiritual avenues. I did most of my posting years ago for cathartic reasons; I needed to "awaken" my spiritual "brothers"--but soon realized that you cannot awaken someone that prefers to sleep. :D

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 am

I really started doing message boards as a sports fan. There was a forum called BuffaloRange.com that I visited daily. It had a section devoted to the Buffalo Bills and a section devoted to the Buffalo Sabres. But scrolling down a little I discovered another section called 'politics, religion, and sex.' It was just what it sounded like, a place for Buffalo sports fans to discuss those 3 issues. Before too long, I found myself spending a lot of time on that section of the BuffaloRange, usually arguing for Christianity (though sometimes conservative politics). They had had very few... thoughtful... Christians over the years, so it made for some very long and interesting conversations. It really helped me sharpen some of my beliefs, arguments, and methods of communication.

One problem with the BuffaloRange was it was over-moderated. There was constantly bickering going on about who should be allowed to say what. Occasionally the Politics, Religion & Sex section would get shut down. Additionally, a lot of the best posters left the site over the over-moderation. So I found myself visiting the site less and less. The quality of conversation had deteriorated.

At the same time, i was visiting Bibleforums.org more and more. On that site I really started to get into the details of Scripture and firm up my beliefs. I even served as a moderator for a while, but again, i felt it was highly over-moderated. I slowly stopped going there too.

So this is really the only message board I frequent. I guess some of what I used to get from message boards has been replaced by facebook and twitter (though those media certainly don't allow for the quality of exchange).

Return to “General Questions”