What is the meaning and purpose of life?

robbyyoung

What is the meaning and purpose of life?

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:27 am

Hello All,

Is the question simplistic? Does the question differentiate between the species, organic and nonorganic matter? As Christians, where do we find the answer, in Scripture, to the question?

I'm interested to know what other believers see as the meaning and purpose of life, based on the Scriptures. I will start the inquiry with a brief analysis of the Genesis account:

Mortal Man's meaning of Life - (Gen 2:7) For man to have a living soul.
Mortal Man's Purpose - (Gen 1:26) To have dominion over creation. (Gen 1:28) To be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. (Gen 2:15-17) To obey God.

Your thoughts and God Bless?

steve7150

Re: What is the meaning and purpose of life?

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:38 am

I think the answer is in Gen 3.22 "The man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil." The process of becoming a child of God means we must experience everything there is to experience in life which includes evil, at least in my opinion. I think this process was always the plan in God's mind and He said that the sacrifice of Christ was decided before the foundation of the world.
It's not a popular thought that the fall was inevitable as we like to distance God from evil, but God knows the benefit in the eternal scheme of things outweighs the cost.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:51 am

‘God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” (Genesis 1:28)
For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited) (Isaiah 45:18)
And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them…’ (Rev 21:3)

The scriptures speak of the wonder of grass, flowers, cattle, goats, trees, birds, water, mountains, etc. so I see that God loves life, and lots of it. That’s the impression I get when I look across a great valley, or out into my yard and see all the life that is there. I think God made life so that He, the Trinity, could enjoy Love, Life, and share both (and our purpose is that God would want to share this with us, so we rejoice in that, and give Him praise)

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:38 am

steve7150 wrote:I think the answer is in Gen 3.22 "The man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil."
Hi steve7150,

If I'm misunderstanding you, please correct me, but are you saying that man's knowledge changes his Purpose of life? If so, how does this affect:

1. Having dominion over creation.
2. Being fruitful and multiplying to fill the earth.
3. Obeying God.

I think knowledge affects man's actions, not man's purpose.

God Bless.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:40 am

If I'm misunderstanding you, please correct me, but are you saying that man's knowledge changes his Purpose of life? If so, how does this affect:

3. Obeying God.

I agree that the above are things meant for man but the knowing of good and evil is not just an academic knowledge it's experiential. That's how we learn everything by contrast and experience. Life is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. We learn both by contrasting them.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:05 pm

steve7150 wrote:If I'm misunderstanding you, please correct me, but are you saying that man's knowledge changes his Purpose of life? If so, how does this affect:

3. Obeying God.

I agree that the above are things meant for man but the knowing of good and evil is not just an academic knowledge it's experiential. That's how we learn everything by contrast and experience. Life is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. We learn both by contrasting them.
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:09 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 pm

I suspect that the "meaning" of life refers to the purpose and the destiny of human existence. I see these as two separate, but connected, things.

The purpose of life is to glorify God.

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor.10:31)

All things exist for this end, and, of all creatures, man is given the greatest opportunity to fulfill this purpose, because God has given man the greatest abilities. Despite the intrusion of sin, which is the failure to glorify God (Rom.3:23), the knowledge of the glory of the Lord will ultimately fill the earth "as the waters cover the sea" (Hab.2:14; Num.14:21).

"By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit..." (John 15:8).

According to the above verse, God is glorified in the multiplication of fruit. Before man was on the scene, God created fruit-bearing plants, and man's first assignment was to cultivate these plants (Gen.1:11; 2:15). The first instructions to man and woman were that they "be fruitful and multiply" (Gen.1:28). When God chose Israel, He was seeking the "fruit" of justice and righteousness (Isa.5:1-7). When Israel failed to produce this fruit, the kingdom was taken from them and given to a nation that would bear "the fruits of it" (Matt.21:43). God's purpose for Christians, then, is that we "may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work" (Col.1:10).

Therefore, I believe that the purpose for living is to be fruitful in good works, bringing glory to God. Additionally, our good works are to inspire others also to glorify God in their own lives (Matt.5:16; 1 Pet.2:12).

As for our destiny, we were created to rule over the earth (Gen.1:26; Psalm 115:16; Matt.5:5; Rev.5:10). Those who are faithful in the fruit-bearing responsibilities of this life will be entrusted with greater authority and responsibility in the resurrection of the just (Matt.25:21, 23; Luke 14:14; 19:15-19; 2 Tim.2:12).

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 pm

dizerner wrote:Well we might start with the old Westminster Catechism and say "A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever." Man was created for unhindered fellowship with God, but he forfeited paradise for a fruit. Now things are different, and although this idea is a good start Scripture tells us much more. Due to the entrance of sin and evil, there is now many more snakes and foxes in our Edenic garden, for Pandora's box has been opened. The meaning of life is to restore that fellowship with God and truly know God's character in an intimate way, but it requires much more than innocent casual ease with which it came to Adam. We are born into world filled with pain and darkness, where some of us can get lucky in our health, relationships and wealth, but overall most of us are very unlucky. In this world people think naturally and materialistically and are energized to pursue fleshly ideals by Satanic powers. Our natural nature is all about "me, me, me" and whatever makes me feel or look good, on a macro or micro level. God clearly never wanted evil to enter creation, or he would have encouraged man to go ahead and rebel against him to gain some experience, and allow Christ to experience the ultimate suffering. This Calvinistic theology putting evil into the very heart of God really mars his character revealed in Scripture, but I digress.

This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

But what does that entail?

But turning around and seeing His disciples, He rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind Me, Satan; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

34 And He summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 35 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. 36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? 37 For what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him ...

Fellowship with God is no longer so easy. Man's sin has exalted the materialistic world and aligned him spiritually with Satan. Now it is all about restoring fellowship with God through the work of the Cross, and everything that stands for.

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 13looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

So we have self-denial, love of the truth, pursuit of righteousness, warfare against the flesh, the world-system and the demonic, all so...

that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

And we do this by our faith in things unseen:

But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly.

But this meaning of life, is something we ourselves have to choose. Meaning is only relative to a context, and an identity. This is the meaning God intends to restore fellowship for all who will take of the water of life freely and realize the utter crass worthlessness of everything but Christ, who value the truth of God's Word above all the world can offer.

'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. 21'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne

7"He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.

There are many Christians who think they are taking up their cross and expect great things with Christ only to be surprised he never knew them. The evil in the world is increasing at a phenomenal rate, and things are happening that defy the mind. Now more than ever is the time to stand for the truth.
Hi dizerner,

Thanks for the insight, however, I would check your usage of the word "meaning", for it should be replaced with "purpose". As Steve said, "I see these as two separate, but connected, things." - I purposely differentiated the two in the OP to get a more clear, concise biblical answer to the question. Genesis gives the original intent before the fall, therefore, does the meaning and purpose change after the fall? If so, why?

God Bless.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:23 pm

steve wrote:I suspect that the "meaning" of life refers to the purpose and the destiny of human existence. I see these as two separate, but connected, things.

The purpose of life is to glorify God.

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor.10:31)

All things exist for this end, and, of all creatures, man is given the greatest opportunity to fulfill this purpose, because God has given man the greatest abilities. Despite the intrusion of sin, which is the failure to glorify God (Rom.3:23), the knowledge of the glory of the Lord will ultimately fill the earth "as the waters cover the sea" (Hab.2:14; Num.14:21).

"By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit..." (John 15:8).

According to the above verse, God is glorified in the multiplication of fruit. Before man was on the scene, God created fruit-bearing plants, and man's first assignment was to cultivate these plants (Gen.1:11; 2:15). The first instructions to man and woman were that they "be fruitful and multiply" (Gen.1:28). When God chose Israel, He was seeking the "fruit" of justice and righteousness (Isa.5:1-7). When Israel failed to produce this fruit, the kingdom was taken from them and given to a nation that would bear "the fruits of it" (Matt.21:43). God's purpose for Christians, then, is that we "may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work" (Col.1:10).

Therefore, I believe that the purpose for living is to be fruitful in good works, bringing glory to God. Additionally, our good works are to inspire others also to glorify God in their own lives (Matt.5:16; 1 Pet.2:12).

As for our destiny, we were created to rule over the earth (Gen.1:26; Psalm 115:16; Matt.5:5; Rev.5:10). Those who are faithful in the fruit-bearing responsibilities of this life will be entrusted with greater authority and responsibility in the resurrection of the just (Matt.25:21, 23; Luke 14:14; 19:15-19; 2 Tim.2:12).
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Going back to Genesis - Isn't bringing glory to God accomplished by obedience? Before and after the fall, this truth has not changed. Is the meaning and purpose of life truly simplistic at it's core?

God Bless.

Return to “General Questions”