What is the meaning and purpose of life?

Paidion

Re: What is the meaning and purpose of life?

Post by Paidion » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Not meaning to derail the thread, but JR, you referred to "He, the Trinity". I am puzzled about this. How can the Trinity, which supposedly is composed of three persons be "He"? The pronoun "He" refers to ONE person.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Isn't bringing glory to God accomplished by obedience? Before and after the fall, this truth has not changed. Is the meaning and purpose of life truly simplistic at it's core?
Yes, obedience to God is the keeping of His commands. The essence of His commands is to do justice to others. Justice is the "fruit" that God sought from Israel, and which He expects for the church to produce. Obeying God is fruit-bearing, as I see it.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm

steve wrote:
Isn't bringing glory to God accomplished by obedience? Before and after the fall, this truth has not changed. Is the meaning and purpose of life truly simplistic at it's core?
Yes, obedience to God is the keeping of His commands. The essence of His commands is to do justice to others. Justice is the "fruit" that God sought from Israel, and which He expects for the church to produce. Obeying God is fruit-bearing, as I see it.
Ok, thanks for elaborating on the specifics of the glory aspect. So far the comments have been very encouraging without much complexity.

God Bless.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Isn't one purpose of life a test to determine whether we will attain eternal life?

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NASB)

24. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27. but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Another purpose is to Glorify God:

Matthew 5:16 (NASB)

16. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Which would seem to rise above mere obedience, for some part of our obedience is unnoticed, and also some of the same things are done by unbelievers. Jesus seems to be focused on exceptional good works that spring from faith.

And what is the meaning of life for those who will not believe, for those who reject God and/or deny there is a God? Are their lives meaningless and purposeless?

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 am

If I cannot see any purpose in life then it will have no meaning. Purpose gives meaning to life.

"Do this and you will live", said Jesus. If you want to draw meaning and purpose out of life, this is what you must do. The four elements of the first commandment cover the entirety of who we are and what we can accomplish - our strength (resources and efforts), mind (knowledge and wisdom), heart (passion and determination), and soul (choices and destiny). The second commandment gives perspective to the first.

Paul develops these four elements in his epistle to the Philippians, and makes several affirmations - Soul "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain." (1:21); Mind "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection of the dead." (3:10-11); Heart "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (3:14); and Strength "I can do all things through him who gives me strength." (4:13).

To draw in on a purpose in life I would take the reference above from 3:14. In the KJV reference is made to pressing toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Hiding behind the word 'sin' throughout the Bible is the idea that sin is missing the mark. Here Paul has identified the mark and is single-mindedly and passionately pursuing it.

Regards, Graeme
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place, always head for the rock. Ps 62..

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 am

Homer wrote:Isn't one purpose of life a test to determine whether we will attain eternal life?
Hi Homer,

Under the umbrella of obedience, which gives glory to God, mandates are given by God - before and after the fall. These mandates such as love, righteousness, faith, etc... is our pathway in life to obedience, to maintain life (a living soul). I believe our purpose has one umbrella not many. Genesis denotes man's purpose, everything else is a pathway to fulfill that purpose. Basically, the reason WHY we do anything is because God says so. Obedience is our purpose.
Homer wrote:Which would seem to rise above mere obedience, for some part of our obedience is unnoticed, and also some of the same things are done by unbelievers. Jesus seems to be focused on exceptional good works that spring from faith.
I don't see anything rising above obedience. You can do nothing outside of obedience. Obedience comes before good works, faith, etc... so closely connected are all these things, yet one umbrella.
Homer wrote:And what is the meaning of life for those who will not believe, for those who reject God and/or deny there is a God? Are their lives meaningless and purposeless?
The unsaved is an entirely different mindset and question. Of course you will find a multitude of definitions and reasons for life apart from God.

God Bless.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:09 am

willowtree wrote:If I cannot see any purpose in life then it will have no meaning. Purpose gives meaning to life.

"Do this and you will live", said Jesus.
Hi Graeme,

Thanks for responding. As noted in this verse, "Do this", obedience drives the train. You have given great truths concerning pathways to obedience, however, I think the simplicity of obedience is our purpose in life as a pathway to fellowship with God.

God Bless.

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't see anything rising above obedience. You can do nothing outside of obedience. Obedience comes before good works, faith, etc... so closely connected are all these things, yet one umbrella
I do, or at least see different levels of it, some of which are better than others.

In 2 Cor. 9:7 Paul writes concerning giving, "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

These measures can also be applied to obedience - reluctantly, under complusion, or cheerfully.

Cheerful obedience is much closer to God's purpose.

Regards, Graeme
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place, always head for the rock. Ps 62..

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:20 am

willowtree wrote:
I don't see anything rising above obedience. You can do nothing outside of obedience. Obedience comes before good works, faith, etc... so closely connected are all these things, yet one umbrella
I do, or at least see different levels of it, some of which are better than others.

In 2 Cor. 9:7 Paul writes concerning giving, "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

These measures can also be applied to obedience - reluctantly, under complusion, or cheerfully.

Cheerful obedience is much closer to God's purpose.

Regards, Graeme
Hi Graeme,

I apologize if I wasn't clear on the matter, but the only obedience that matters, which is pertinent to the discussion, is rightoeus obedience. There are no levels beyond anything "righteous", however, what falls beneath righteousness is short of God's standard. In Cor. 9:7 Paul is giving instructions, the hearers will either be obedient or not. Obedience will always lead the way on a pathway to God. The Genesis account concerning man's purpose has not changed throughout the entirety of scripture. I believe it is that simplistic.

God Bless.

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm

robbyyoung wrote:
willowtree wrote:
I apologize if I wasn't clear on the matter, but the only obedience that matters, which is pertinent to the discussion, is rightoeus obedience. There are no levels beyond anything "righteous", however, what falls beneath righteousness is short of God's standard. In Cor. 9:7 Paul is giving instructions, the hearers will either be obedient or not. Obedience will always lead the way on a pathway to God. The Genesis account concerning man's purpose has not changed throughout the entirety of scripture. I believe it is that simplistic.

God Bless.
Thanks, Robby, and I don't want to belabour the point, but the quality of our righteousness is paramount. In Romans 14:11 Paul states that at the judgment, standing before God, "every knee will bow before me; every tongue confess to God." This will be a righteous act simply because it is the right thing to do. That's what right-eous-ness is. It will also be an act of obedience, whether the person bowing wants to obey or not. But I think God's purpose is much more than that.

I believe God's call to righteousness obedience is invitational (one of the closing words of the Bible is 'come'), not that He does not care one way or the other how we respond, but that cheerful committed obedience is the desire of His heart. He values covenant relationship much higher than mandated obedience.

We may not be in disagreement about this at all; I was fearful that you were presenting the purpose of God in the manner of a sergeant-major, and not a loving God.

Regards, Graeme

Return to “General Questions”