Complaint Department

jriccitelli

Complaint Department

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 pm

(Someone suggested this at one time, but I think that post was taken down, anyways I did not want to disrupt any other thread with this)
You preach (sometimes many paragraphs on points unrelated to the thread's topic), but you do not seem to know what it means to present a case (Steve)
I still think this is unfair, you again stated something without a reference. Where have I made points unrelated to the thread's topic?
I have ‘often’ presented my case in a point by point fashion, stated up front my objections, evidence, agreements, conclusions and finished with solutions, and or easy to understand questions. I also list all verses and quotes. I also try to cut out a lot of the simple stuff if I am responding directly to someone who I assume is familiar with the subject, yet rely on lay terms if I can. Yet still this is only an internet thread, I think certain polished standards are good and helpful, but I do not demand anyone else here to hold to publishing standards as I read their posts (or tweets) online, as many may be writing on a IPhone.
It is one thing for me to teach different views, but as a Christian it is important that I let someone know exactly what I ‘believe is true’. I am trying to discern what you ‘believe’ about eschatology, although you seem to be in a state of flux about it, and that is absolutely ok, as I too still have details I still am unsure of. But I don’t think I should be told I’m ‘preaching’, or speaking in a negative way just because I ‘believe’ what I am saying. Nor can I write ‘everything’ I ‘believe’ as if they were questions.
If I can adjust fine, as I think I already have. Any thoughts?

steve7150

Re: Complaint Department

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm not commenting on the quality of your posts or the validity of Steve's criticisms but i do give you credit for hanging in there and not leaving in a huff because that has happened occasionally in the past with other folks.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:12 pm

JR,

I apologize if you found my observation offensive. When I use the word "preach" I almost never mean it in a negative way, and did not mean it that way in my comment.

In your posts, you often go off into what sounds like a sermon. This is not a bad thing, and there is a place for that at this forum. My complaint is that you do this at the very point where we are expecting an argument for your position. What we often find is you going into a homily on things that are not under dispute—even though you open your post as if it is your intention to correct someone else on some point.

I don't know what examples you would desire more than those I gave in the post where I made the comment, and in my following post as well. I have (twice, I think*) offered you constructive advice as to how to more effectively participate in the debate aspects of this forum. My impression was, on those occasions, that you were not pleased to be instructed (although I think you did adopt one of my suggestions, viz., that you should use less underlining. I think you do less of that now).

I am not against you. I simply am for a constructive argument. Rather than prove your points wrong, I would prefer to point out how you can make your case more effectively.

*One of the times was here: http://theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... ine#p57725

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 am

It is this moment of peace that I look forward to in heaven, I’m sure we will 'both' see differently once we are there. Thanks Steve, it’s almost sad that I’m going to start arguing again, but that’s just my style. Thanks for accepting me anyways. :)

Other Steve, I think your words were among the best compliments I have had anywhere (and I don’t get many anywhere). Thanks 7150, you definitely will avoid the LOF since I think you are already well refined in Christ.

Return to “General Questions”