30-minute show archives?

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

30-minute show archives?

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Anyone know what's up with the morning show archives? Neither site has any shows since Feb. 11.

On a related note, how do you guys who are grabbing the audio stream do it? I haven't been able to find anything that can grab a Liquid Compass stream.

Steve, does whatever system you use to do the show have the capability to save it to an audio file? That would solve the problem of trying to grab a stream and increase the reliability of the archives. Alternatively, have you ever asked the stations if they can make MP3's available? I contacted one station about it; they weren't interested in doing it for me, but they might do it for the show host.

darinhouston

Re: 30-minute show archives?

Post by darinhouston » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm on a mac -- so tools vary, but you should be able to find an audio driver which dumps all output to a file instead of speakers (or both). On the mac, there is an app (may not still be available, but google it) called Audio Hijack which does a nice job of scheduling and launching an app and recording its audio (or from a URL or etc).

steve

Post by steve » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Dan,

You would probably not be able to comprehend how ignorant I am about any of this technology. For everything except the talking on the air, I depend on volunteers to provide these services. I am not sure why the volunteer who archives the show has been so low about it. Perhaps Darin's suggestion will fill the gap.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:47 pm

I've been told that an audio editing tool called Audacity has a version on Windows which will do this (output from sound card to file). Not sure how you would go about scheduling it though.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:57 pm

I always listen to the 1hr show so I never recorded it and was just pulling from the eggbeater RSS.

I just scheduled my scripts to also record the 30min show, but it may take a couple of tries to get the timing/bugs worked out.

Jarrod

I go into Safari to start the radio stream and look at the activity window to find the actual flv url. I use a cron job scheduled to start recording ~9:30PST with curl:

/usr/bin/curl "http://stream.us.gslb.liquidcompass.net ... prodesktop" -o $tmpfile

Then I have another cron job that fires off ~30 minutes later to kill the curl process, convert the flv -> mp3, and add to the site. That's the best method I've found in case anyone else wants to start their own media archive.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow! I didn't know that there was also a gift of "writing in tongues"!

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm

No worries, Steve, I can comprehend it. :) I was just thinking you may have noticed a button or something to do that, or someone else involved with the show (call screener?) might know if it can be done.

I did a little more poking around on the web, and it looks like I found what I need. It turns out, once you have the right links, streamripper can grab them. The links for two of the stations are:

KBRT: http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/pls/KBRTAMMP3.pls
KCBC: http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/pls/KCBCAMMP3.pls

These links will also work for listening live with your favorite media player, instead of having to use the Flash player Liquid Compass provides.

Cron job is set up to record tomorrow; we'll see how it goes.

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

steve wrote:Wow! I didn't know that there was also a gift of "writing in tongues"!
Fortunately, there are a few here with the gift of interpretation. :)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 pm

backwoodsman wrote:No worries, Steve, I can comprehend it. :) I was just thinking you may have noticed a button or something to do that, or someone else involved with the show (call screener?) might know if it can be done.

I did a little more poking around on the web, and it looks like I found what I need. It turns out, once you have the right links, streamripper can grab them. The links for two of the stations are:

KBRT: http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/pls/KBRTAMMP3.pls
KCBC: http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net/pls/KCBCAMMP3.pls

These links will also work for listening live with your favorite media player, instead of having to use the Flash player Liquid Compass provides.

Cron job is set up to record tomorrow; we'll see how it goes.
I didn't realize streamripper worked on the liquidcompass stream but if so, here's the bash script I used to run with cron for the old Road To Findout show...

#!/bin/bash

## Remove old audio

rm -rf /pathtofolder/incomplete/*.mp3

## Start recording stream (-l option sets seconds of run time)

/opt/local/bin/streamripper ksco.got.net:9000/ -l 3180 -dq /pathtofolder >/dev/null

## Rename and move file
mv /pathtofolder/KSCO\ AM\ 1080\ Santa\ Cruz\ CA\ USA\ \(831\)\ 475-1080/incomplete/\ -\ .mp3 /pathtofolder/road_to_findout_$(date +%Y-%m-%d).mp3

## Add tag
/opt/local/bin/id3tag -a "Steve Gregg" -s"$(date +%Y-%m-%d).mp3" -A"Road To Findout" /pathtofolder/road_to_findout_$(date +%Y-%m-%d).mp3

backwoodsman

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 pm

darinhouston wrote:I didn't realize streamripper worked on the liquidcompass stream
It doesn't, if you use the links on the stations' website that start the flash player. I ran across a page that helps decode the links for various stream types:
http://reciva-users.wikispot.org/streamextraction

Return to “General Questions”