The 2012 Election

Soulsnaxx

The 2012 Election

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 pm

This is not a new Soulsnaxx. I decided to present it here and now because it pertains to one of the presidential candidates in the soon-to-be-held election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0njL5g3PtZw

Tychicus

Re: The 2012 Election

Post by Tychicus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:15 am

Steve has an excellent ministry as a Bible teacher. And his comments about Obama were on the main very careful and sensitive. But I think it would be best to avoid political comments to the effect that Obama needs to get advisors who "know how to govern without destroying the country". This is a difficult job, to govern our country, and I don't think many of us can begin to understand the tough choices that face our leaders, nor imagine what it feels like to step into office and deal with the problems waiting for you plus all the new crises that come our way.

Sure, go vote if you feel like it. Study the issues; read both sides. Discuss it with with your friends. And pray for your leaders, whether you agree with them or not.

But I think it would be good for this ministry to avoid comments that would unnecessarily irritate supporters of this or that candidate. (For the record I will not vote for Obama, but I know many Christians who will.)

Soulsnaxx

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for the comment, Tychicus. I don't think there's an area of life to which the principles of God's Word does not in some way apply. Therefore, I don't think there's an area of life to which a Bible Teacher should not apply the principles of the Word of God. I think it can be expected that applying Scriptural principles will usually irritate someone. To me, Steve's comments were reasonable, accurate, measured, and timely. I applaud him.

Tychicus

Post by Tychicus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 am

Hi Soulsnaxx,
I don't think there's an area of life to which the principles of God's Word does not in some way apply. Therefore, I don't think there's an area of life to which a Bible Teacher should not apply the principles of the Word of God. I think it can be expected that applying Scriptural principles will usually irritate someone.
I agree in principle with all of this. But each person has their area of expertise. So, for example, in the 16th century the Catholic Church said the earth was stationary and the sun circled the earth. See Psalm 104:5. The Church thought they were applying Scriptural principles, and did irritate lots of people, but I think you might agree now that this was not a wise position.

Most ministers and Bible teachers are not experts in running a government. So I generally think people in this capacity ought to be very careful in what they say on these questions.

But I would also ask, what Scriptural principle would you use to say Obama or his advisors don't know how to govern without destroying the country? I am not aware of any Scripture that says anything like that.

Return to “General Questions”