Interpreting Your Own Tongue

RICHinCHRIST

Interpreting Your Own Tongue

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Since the other thread on the Baptism of the HS kind of morphed into a discussion on tongues, I thought I might ask my question here.

Has anyone personally experienced this? I've found that in private I sometimes pray for an interpretation of what I am praying in tongues. Many times it is just an overflow of praise to God. In other words, I find myself praying in tongues for about 8-10 seconds, and then I find that I'm praising or thanking God in English (ascribing blessing and glory to God). But other times, I find that there is nothing coming to mind when I pray in tongues, and in that sense I suppose it would fulfill 1 Corinthians 14:14, in that my understanding is "unfruitful" and that I speak "mysteries"(1 Cor 14:2).

verbatim

Re: Interpreting Your Own Tongue

Post by verbatim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 pm

RICHinChrist wrote:
Has anyone personally experienced this? I've found that in private I sometimes pray for an interpretation of what I am praying in tongues. Many times it is just an overflow of praise to God. In other words, I find myself praying in tongues for about 8-10 seconds, and then I find that I'm praising or thanking God in English (ascribing blessing and glory to God). But other times, I find that there is nothing coming to mind when I pray in tongues, and in that sense I suppose it would fulfill 1 Corinthians 14:14, in that my understanding is "unfruitful" and that I speak "mysteries"(1 Cor 14:2).

I also speak in tongues, but I’m sure it is different from what you experienced. The prayer in tongues that the Holy Ghost teaches me is simile to what Paul said in 2 Cor 12:5 about a unspeakable words,
which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Being unspeakable I tend to pray in mind and spirit (1 Cor 14:15) wherein I speak and prayed in unification with God.
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm

verbatim wrote:I also speak in tongues, but I’m sure it is different from what you experienced. The prayer in tongues that the Holy Ghost teaches me is simile to what Paul said in 2 Cor 12:5 about a unspeakable words,
which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Being unspeakable I tend to pray in mind and spirit (1 Cor 14:15) wherein I speak and prayed in unification with God.
I know what you're speaking about, and that is what occurs most of the time with me too. However, I know that Paul encouraged the person who speaks in tongues to interpret what he himself prayed. So every once in a while, I pray for an interpretation.

Am I understanding this verse incorrectly? It sounds like one can interpret their own tongue in the church. It was from this verse that I began to ask God for interpretations of what I'm speaking. If it's not me interpreting, then it would have to be someone else in the meeting who does, because it's for the edification of the church that the gifts exist at all.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Rich and Verbatim, can you speak in tongues anytime you want? Or do you speak in tongues only when the Spirit comes upon you?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Paidion,

It's hard to tell. I believe I have control over the gift to a certain extent. Paul insisted that only two or three people speak in tongues in the Corinthian meeting (1 Cor 14:27). He also said that if there was no interpretation he should remain silent (1 Cor 14:28). It was these two verses that made me realize that the gift of tongues is controllable. But there have been times where I have spoke in tongues where I wasn't planning on doing it (like the very first time I ever did) and it seemed to be very Spirit-led.

Unfortunately, I've never been in a context where both the gift of tongues and its interpretation happens in the same meeting. I've only been around straight-out tongue speaking or no speaking at all. There have been times, however, where I sense the Spirit speaks very directly to me either when I am speaking in tongues or afterwards (and for this, I'm curious if others have had this experience and would consider it an interpretation of their own tongue (per 1 Cor 14:13)

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 pm

RICHinhrist wrote:
I know what you're speaking about, and that is what occurs most of the time with me too. However, I know that Paul encouraged the person who speaks in tongues to interpret what he himself prayed. So every once in a while, I pray for an interpretation.
(2 Cor 12:2-5) I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities. (KJV)
I posted the Scripture where I learned speaking in tongue as the Holy Ghost teaches me,
Paul said tha he know a man in Christeaching , probably its Christ or maybe
his inner spiritual self.Because he say he know a man its quite sure that the
unspeakable words he heard pertain to Chist Holy name where all man
are forbidden not to speak or mention the name of the Lord(Deut 5:11,Jer 44:26, Amos 6:10).
I know what you're speaking about, and that is what occurs most
of the time with me too. However, I know that Paul encouraged the
person who speaks in tongues to interpret what he himself prayed. So
every once in a while, I pray for an interpretation.]/quote]

I;m not quite sure if we know the same tongues, for me I need not interpret
the languge prayer that the Holy Ghost teaches me and its is the Scripture
which manifest about the what Jesus foretell in (John 7:37-39) In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of water.
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) (KJV)
But I also pray that the Lord teach me how I could shar it to others.

Paidion wrote:
can you speak in tongues anytime you want? Or do you speak in tongues only when the Spirit comes upon you?
I speak it oftently as the Holy Ghost tell me to praise the Lord seven times a day (Psalm 119:164)
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

Return to “General Questions”