theos.org mobile??

jeremiah

theos.org mobile??

Post by jeremiah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 am

hello friends, this is a minor tech support question. theos.org seems to default to a mobile interface on a phone i just got. does anyone know how to switch to classic webpage view.

instead of being able to zoom in and out and scroll left and right as on most websites, all i see is a single column to scroll down or up. and many of the common links such as: view active topics, ...new posts, etc. are simply nowhere to be seen.

any help with this would be appreciated.

grace and peace.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

jarrod

Re: theos.org mobile??

Post by jarrod » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am

Jeremiah,

I understand your concern. Let me think about this. Right now we base the decision to display the mobile version using the User-Agent string your phone sends with HTTP (web) connections. That is just because there was a plugin that supported the functionality that multiple other users requested. I agree it would be better to let you decide when you come or something along those lines, but I just haven't dug deep enough to figure out if that exists. Maybe someone else knows?

I don't know what type of phone you have, but if it allowed you to modify the User-Agent field, it would be a quick fix.

Thanks so much,

Jarrod

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:57 am

thanks jarrod,

it's a samsung galaxy blaze, android of course. i google user-agent field since i have no idea what that is :)

thanks again man.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 am

alright Jarrod , it was easier than i thought. all i had to do was hit my menu button-more-request desktop site. and voila. much thanks.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Rock on Jeremiah!
jeremiah wrote:alright Jarrod , it was easier than i thought. all i had to do was hit my menu button-more-request desktop site. and voila. much thanks.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Oh, good. My phone has a similar option. The mobile version is definitely limited. The worst limitation, imo, being that it does not indicate that a thread has new, unread posts (after logging in). Now it's all here. Thanks for posting the question and answer!
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 pm

I love how the Spirit can, in helping one need, assist many. PTL.
Singalphile wrote:Oh, good. My phone has a similar option. The mobile version is definitely limited. The worst limitation, imo, being that it does not indicate that a thread has new, unread posts (after logging in). Now it's all here. Thanks for posting the question and answer!

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Does anyone have a fix for an iPhone?

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 am

Ok... I believe I have made the mobile version of theos.org customizable enough to accommodate everyone's needs.

The forum will show the mobile version by default. However there is a login form at the top when you browse to the site. Once you are logged in, it will display the full or mobile version based on your preference (the preference defaults to the mobile version).

To change your user preferences please follow these steps after you have logged in:

1. Click the User Control Panel at the top-left of the forum website.
2. Click the Profile tab of the User Control Panel menu.
3. Set "Disable Mobile Style" to 1 and click Submit.

Now, after you login with your mobile device, you will see the full version.

Hope that helps, Jarrod

Visual illustration: http://theos.org/m/ucp_disable_mobile.png

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Jarrod, - The "view active topics" link does not appear when I browse to theos.org on my mobile device. This is a handy link, can any change be made to make it visible for mobile devices?

Return to “General Questions”