WAR

tsimpshian

WAR

Post by tsimpshian » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm

If the bible tells us not to go to war and not to kill and to stay out of Government polatics then why do Christians think it is the Christian thing to do to go fight a war and kill for the government?

Candlepower

Re: WAR

Post by Candlepower » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:48 pm

tsimpshian wrote:If the bible tells us not to go to war and not to kill and to stay out of Government polatics then why do Christians think it is the Christian thing to do to go fight a war and kill for the government?
tsimpshian, this is a good provocative question. By it, you seem to be making the following statements:

1. Christians should not go to war, because the Bible says so.
2. Christians should not kill, because the Bible says so.
3. Christians should stay out of politics, because the Bible says so.

You may be right. But to get the ball rolling on this topic, it would help me understand your statements better if you would provide at least one Bible reference to back each one.

Thanks.

tsimpshian

Post by tsimpshian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:12 pm

I thought you would allready know those referenses yourself so that is why I did not. The bible covers the topic in many areas and a bible scholar or thealogin would know them already so I did not look them all up I just summed it up to make a statement that is true and accurate. Where is spell check on here? I can not find it.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm

I have a few thoughts on this subject.

I think we see the character of the Lord regarding His attitude about people, war, nations, and everything else. Not speaking about whether participation in modern armed forces and political positions is right/wrong, but just that His character is not just loving, but just and right. There is a standard by which we are measured and there are penalties for grievous acts towards man and especially entire groups or nations. As I see it, God controls all aspects of the world governments (Cf. Rom 13) and can influence the direction of their respective domestic or foreign policies. God is definitely amidst the wars and governing authorities during the present time.

As far as the individual there seem to be such a huge spectrum of characters and personalities among the body of Christ. I believe God has formed us differently for His purposes. While one may understand their conviction to be opposed to the idea of political involvement (on any level), others may feel as strongly in the other direction and honestly see the Biblical basis for their pursuits. I am thankful for the freedoms and protection that we enjoy from having such a developed military and I thank God for that safety.

1 Timothy 2:1-2"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness."

Some see their purpose as aiding the authorities with providing that peace.

I guess I stray from making such sweeping generalities and leave it more up to the Lord and other people's unique and special relationship with Him when it comes to this topic.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 pm

tsimpshian wrote:I thought you would allready know those referenses yourself so that is why I did not. The bible covers the topic in many areas and a bible scholar or thealogin would know them already so I did not look them all up I just summed it up to make a statement that is true and accurate. Where is spell check on here? I can not find it.
I'm not a theologian, and perhaps only a mediocre scholar. I'm a learner, and I may know less about the Bible than you do. I appreciate that you summed up the Bible and provided a statement you think is true and accurate, but can you please provide a Scriptural reference that shows where God commands Christians to "stay out of government politics" and "not to go to war?" I'm not saying you're wrong. Indeed, you may be right. It's just that I'd rather take God's word for it than yours.

Regarding spell-check, I have one on the bookshelf next to me. You can borrow it. ;)

Return to “General Questions”