Your thoughts about the "miracle of the sun" event of 1917

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:58 pm

There was an event in Fatima Portugal in 1917 witnessed by 10's of thousands of people.
More information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

I was just wondering what your thoughts were about this event.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

Suzana

Re: Your thoughts about the "miracle of the sun" event of 1917

Post by Suzana » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 pm

There's some good possible explantations in the article section 'critical evaluation of the event'. One thing I don't believe is that it was an appearance of The Blessed Virgin Mary.
Suzana

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:45 pm

It wasn't seen by anyone more than a few miles away, so that rules out any kind of real astronomical event.

Many who were present saw different things, and not everyone who was there saw anything at all. Even some "true believers" who were present saw nothing. So that rules out any kind of localized atmospheric effect.

It doesn't even remotely resemble anything mentioned in the Bible, and its most visible spiritual fruit seems to be the establishment of an idolatrous cult, so I see no reason to think God had anything to do with it.

Things like "mass hysteria," "mass hallucination," etc. make absolutely no sense at all, here or elsewhere.

It seems to me, there's only one possibility left. Many witnesses' description -- a spinning, multicolored disk that makes sudden, seemingly impossible movements -- sounds a lot like the way UFO sightings are often described. In a Christian, Biblical worldview, it seems the only viable explanation for both UFO sightings and Fatima is demonic activity.

Sean

Post by Sean » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 pm

I have to admit, Revelation 13:13 has come to mind regarding this event. Not that is speaking about this event, but it is interesting nonetheless.
He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth. (Isaiah 42:4)

tsimpshian

Post by tsimpshian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:07 pm

People keep forgetting that Mary did not remain a virgin forever, her and Joseph went on to have children. Plus in the teachings Christians are to put their faith in Jesus and the Father never did it say to worship Mary or to watch for a sign from her.. Satan works in many ways even as a deliverer of light and not to be fooled by him in being led astray from what is written about the matter. God said everyone will know at the same time when Jesus returns and until then their is no mention that he will reveal himself to us before that. If there is and I am wrong please show me the scriptures that say he will come back to show himself to us or individuals between his resurection and the day of his second coming. I have not come across that ever but then again everytime I read the bible or a chapter I come across something I did not pick up on the other times I read it.. Always learning always rereading

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm

tsimpshian wrote:please show me the scriptures that say he will come back to show himself to us or individuals between his resurection and the day of his second coming.
Acts 7:55-60

This text doesn't say that Jesus will come back to show Himself. But it does tell us that he did show himself to individuals between His resurrection and His second coming. Actually, He made numerous appearances after His resurrection (see John chapter 21, for instance). Jesus' appearance to Stephen, and later to Saul, occurred after His ascension into heaven.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:47 am

I generally agree with Candlepower, but on this one I am going to give the point to tsimphian, and 2 points to Backwoods for listing (at least) 2 really good apologetic answers.
(but concerning Jesus appearing...)

After His ascension into heaven Jesus has only appeared in visions, or in dreams (unless you are a member of a cult).
A vision is not a physical appearance of Jesus bodily, it seems to be something put into the mind of the person receiving the vision, like a dream, only you are awake:

'But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;56 and he said, "Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God' (Acts7:55-56)

Stephen saw a vision of Jesus - in - heaven. Paul heard only a voice, and saw only light;

'…and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him;4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting…' (Acts9:3-5)

Paul's account of the event in Acts 22 seems to explain this event further, and notice the light was 'so bright Paul could not see', so he did not necessarily see Jesus, Paul heard Jesus;
'And the Lord said to me, 'Get up and go on into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'11 But since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me and came into Damascus' (Acts 22:10-11)

In Acts 18 Jesus only appears in a 'vision';
'And the Lord said to Paul in the night by a vision, "Do not be afraid any longer, but go on speaking and do not be silent;10 for I am with you, and no man will attack you in order to harm you, for I have many people in this city." (Acts18:9-10)

In Acts 22, again Jesus only appears as a vision, in Paul's trance;

"It happened when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I fell into a trance,18 and I saw Him saying to me, 'Make haste, and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about Me.'
(Acts 22:17-18)

I will end here, but I trust Jesus will not return until He returns the way He left, and every eye will see Him (not here and not over there) that’s all.

Return to “General Questions”