Herod and baby Jesus in Jerusalem ; contradiction?

jpearce

Herod and baby Jesus in Jerusalem ; contradiction?

Post by jpearce » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm

in Matt 2:1-3 , 12-15 and 23 it says Herod was in Jerusalem so Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt . In Luke 2:22-24 it says they went to Jerusalem . Is there a possible contradiction ? thanks

wwalkeriv

Re: Herod and baby Jesus in Jerusalem ; contradiction?

Post by wwalkeriv » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Jpearce,
I will attempt to answer your question. The account of Luke you cited speaks of Jesus being taken when he was 8 days old to be circumcised. The account of Matthew is a completely different time period in Jesus' childhood, probably when he was not quite 2. I make this assumption because the decree was sent out to kill all male children 2 years old or younger. Otherwise, why wouldn't Herod just kill all newborn babies? I think Jesus was taken and circumcised when he was 8 days old. At some point, before or after that time, he was visited by the wise men who were warned in a dream not to report back to Herod. It probably took some time for Herod to realize he had been deceived at which time he sent out his decree.

Matthew 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Good answer!

jpearce

Post by jpearce » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 pm

that's a great answer . I didn't consider the time line you mentioned . thank you

verbatim

Post by verbatim » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:54 am

by jpearce on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm
in Matt 2:1-3 , 12-15 and 23 it says Herod was in Jerusalem so Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt . In Luke 2:22-24 it says they went to Jerusalem . Is there a possible contradiction ? thanks
While the account in Matthew 2:13 is true in history on the life of Jesus it also show hints of a metaphor.
Matthew 2:13-16 And when they were departed, behold, the Angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise and take the young child, and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring the word: for Herod will seek the young child, to destroy him. Matthew 2:13
v.14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
v.15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
v.16Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

Compare:

Coptic gospel of Thomas Nag Hammadi
Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live.
For many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same."

For before the child shall have knowledge to cry, My father, and my mother, the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria. Isaiah 8:4

For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings. Isaiah 7:16

Comments:
We could notice that in gospel of Thomas and of Isaiah, there are riches in the land that will be taken or move out by the king of the world the two precious word in the ears of our parents. My father and my, and my mother which are the # 1 commandment of our God in Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right...
v.2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

Matthew 2:15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
This mean that we must get out of the doctrine or tradition of men and we must be born again of God.John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:

v.13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

Return to “General Questions”