Bible Translation Question

Quilter2

Bible Translation Question

Post by Quilter2 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:59 am

I have read alot of stuff, whether it is part of an agenda or not I don't know, that the Geneva Bible has very good notes. I am not one for study Bibles per se, but since I would agree with covenant rather than dispensational theology, am probably a partial pretarist amil and Anabaptist, I was wondering if the notes would give balance to my studies since so many reference books are dispensational.
Steve, friends, any comments? Have any of you bought one and what do you think?
Thanks
Paula

darinhouston

Re: Bible Translation Question

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I don't always agree with them (hardly possible), but I find the NET bible (New English Translation) very helpful. It has translation notes which try not to be a commentary. Typically, the notes are to explain why a certain word or word order was chosen, and most of the time provides the alternative and a bit of historic context, but tries to avoid interpreting the verse unless it's absolutely necessary for translation context. (I've noticed a few "commentary" stabs, but mostly not). As a side benefit, it's free for app downloads, online use, but there are also print versions for a fee.

SamIam

Post by SamIam » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 pm

the Geneva Bible has very good notes
Are you talking about the Geneva Bible the Pilgrims brought over on the Mayflower?

Quilter2

Post by Quilter2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Yes, I'm talking about the reprint of the Geneva translation the Pilgrims and Puritans would have used before the 1611 KJV came along. Its known as the 1599 edition. It is available with the spelling modernized to make the reading easier. The reproduction edition is very hard to read because of the middle english spelling and different type font.
Paula

Return to “General Questions”