What is sin?

dseusy

Re: What is sin?

Post by dseusy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am

Benstenson,

Before I go on I want to thank you for discussing these things with me. I receive your comments in this forum as care and concern for me and for those reading. I have probably been too harsh in some of my posts and I am bothered that I can only communicate with words here (as opposed to actions and face to face communication which allows for voice fluctuations and non-verbal cues). The last thing I want to be is ungrateful for your investment or come across as a clanging cymbal. I believe sharpening can occur instead of just a fruitless argument and I trust you believe the same since we continue :)

In regard to reason and logic:

God is reasonable but:

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 34 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR?" Romans 11:33, 34

God is reasonable to God, but His ways and His judgements are unsearchable and unfathomable to us! Who has known the mind of the Lord? His thoughts and ways are higher than ours by more than we can measure! How much higher are the heavens than the earth? Where do the heavens end that we could even measure this distance? This should humble us before a mighty and Holy God. Everyone who encounters Him throws themselves on their faces with fear. Every angel has to first say, "Don't be afraid! Do not fear!" before addressing us.

His words are reasonable, as are His ways, but His reason and understanding and comprehension are far above ours.

Merriam-Webster defines reason:

the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways.

Rational is: having reason or understanding.

Understanding is: a mental grasp : comprehension.

Comprehension is: a : the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding b : knowledge gained by comprehending c : the capacity for understanding fully <mysteries that are beyond our comprehension>

Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes
Proverbs 3:5-7a
Benstenson wrote:
You have effectively written on top of the words of the bible by using faulty reasoning instead of sound reasoning in order to understand the bible. You have actually elevated your own faulty reasoning above the bible by calling your interpretations "God's Word" and not accepting a critique of your interpretations unless the critique is consistent with those same interpretations. You have thereby constructed a wall of infallibility around yourself. You may have changed your mind about passages here and there but you have shown a total disregard to sound judgment in this discussion because you treat logic as if it is fallible and you are not.
I don't want to get in the way of God's Word speaking to you. I beg you to meditate on the verses I present in their context, but I won't be offended if you ignore my words, nor will insist that I am infallible. Just because I haven't agreed with most of your critiques so far doesn't mean I insist I am infallible. I just disagree with you about the interpretations of a number of verses. I believe God's law requires perfect righteousness.

I believe that human logic is fallible (including mine) but I believe that God's logic is not fallible. I believe that human logic and God's logic are very different (based on the above verses) and that is why I believe we should use God's Word to discover His logic. We certainly use our own logic to interpret scripture, but when we don't lean on it (rely solely on it) we can be guided by His Spirit in understanding it (Galatians 5:18). When using our logic to interpret His logic, we may come across something we don't understand. We can write it off, or we can submit ourselves to it, as God's Word. When we run across something in God's Word that doesn't jive with our understanding, how do we become aware of this dilemma? I think confusion is my indicator. My logic stops and I have to make a choice about what I am going to trust.

God's judgement is the only sound judgement. My judgements are wrong until they are His, and they will probably never be perfectly aligned until this life is over (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Benstenson wrote:
Logic is not fallible because it is an attribute of God's own mind which He has shared with us. Our underlying assumptions are fallible, but when logic is used properly, it only has one primary rule, don't contradict yourself. The bible says, "As surely as God is faithful, our word to you has not been Yes and No." Not contradictory. What would be wrong with their word being yes and no if holding someone accountable for blatant contradictions can just be shrugged off and belittled as worldly wisdom? So to interpret the bible, which requires using logic whether one admits it our not, and then to reject logic, which bible-reading actually depends on, when a contradiction appears between one's interpretation and sound judgment itself - that is truly a contradiction, a Yes and a No.
I believe He has shared part of His logic with us in this life. However, there are many times where we are just asked to trust, without understanding the reason why (Proverbs 3). I think we probably contradict ourselves a lot, without realizing it. God is faithful and in 2 Corinthians 1 Paul states that he is preaching God's promises which, in Him, do not contradict themselves (they are yes, in Him). I believe this rests the responsibility for congruency in God, not man.

"But as God is faithful, our word to you is not yes and no. For the Son of God, Christ Jesus, who was preached among you by us-by me and Silvanus and Timothy -was not yes and no, but is yes in Him. For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes" 2 Corinthians 1:18-20a

Do you feel that you are holding me accountable for blatant contradictions and I am shrugging it off and belittling your rebuke as worldly wisdom? I apologize if I have communicated this to you. It was not my intention to do so. I want to encourage you to stand firm in your faith, and to grow in it. I believe you are looking intently into God's Word, and I do not believe you are rebuking me with worldly wisdom. You present God's Word, which I appreciate. As I apply God's laws to my life and continue to fall short of His righteousness, I continually rely on His grace and mercy which has brought me to my current understanding of the verses we have discussed. I don't find any blatant contradictions in my interpretations, even as you rebuke me. Please see my response below concerning the definition of love.

Benstenson wrote:
The rational mind provides knowledge even if there was no bible. But the bible is useless to a creature that has no rational mind. One person said "The bible was made for the mind, not the mind for the bible." This is obvious. God did not author the bible for rocks and plants to read it. God designed the bible for rational creatures to rationally understand it. Reason or rational thought is more fundamental than communication. God was rational before He became the author of scripture. Likewise people are rational before they understand the scripture. I am not devaluing the scripture. I am saying that rational thought is like a bible itself that God has written into our minds.
I believe the rational mind provides man's rationale, without the Word of God, which is truth.

"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." John 17:17

You've stated a lot of things here as if they are certainly true, but let's leave these certain affirmations of truth to God's Word. Otherwise, we may find ourselves confidently affirming things that aren't necessarily true.

I believe the middle of Romans 2 is stating that men without the law will still be judged, and not that God's Word is instinctively written in their minds. The WORK of the law is shown to be written on their hearts as they do things written in the law and their consciences accuse or defend, but I believe this is very different from them understanding God's Word...

What is the work of the law? The law was added for a purpose... which the Bible states is for sin to increase. I believe that this work is accomplished in those who defile their consciences apart from the Word of God. God made His eternal power and divine nature evident to these without His Word, through what has been made (Romans 1), but I don't see where God shows us that carnal man is as logical as God and His Word.
Benstenson wrote:
If the testimony of our own minds was not trustworthy then we could not know for certain if we were actually reading the bible or not. Maybe we are actually reading some spy novel while our faulty minds are telling us that it is the bible. This is the ridiculous and inevitable logical result of denying the validity of the human mind as a source of accurate information. If the human mind is such a poor source of information then maybe anything could be true. This is a complete rejection of knowledge and truth altogether. Unless someone accepts that the human mind is a valid source of information, they can by no means accept that the bible is a valid source of information, because no man can read the bible unless he first has a mind that can faithfully accumulate knowledge. Bible only is not even a biblical view, especially in light of Romans chapter one.
Our minds can identify things we have learned are things, and can remember the spiritual things God has revealed to us (sometimes) but the accuracy of the information is not equally worth leaning on as God's Word is worth leaning on. I read something in the Bible one day, and it sometimes slowly changes over time, until when I read it again I can't believe how my mind and time have mutilated it. I don't believe our minds faithfully accumulate knowledge. They leak. They forget. I see where Romans 1 states that we can clearly see God's eternal power and divine nature from what has been made, but how does this refute God's Word as better to lean on than our understanding?
Benstenson wrote:
If you say that love is more than a state of the will then you add to God's word, create a stumbling block, and a false gospel.
I don't say that love is more than a state of the will... God did. Read 1 Corinthians 13 again, and find what God says love is. I am not adding to God's Word. I quoted it. How is this a stumbling block, or a false Gospel? God also stated that HE IS LOVE!!! GOD IS CERTAINLY MORE THAN A STATE OF THE WILL!!!
Benstenson wrote:
You give a whole new meaning to "the letter kills" by making God's ways out to be impossible.
God's ways are discussed in Isaiah 55:9
Benstenson wrote:
If someone rejects the obvious revelations given to the human mind apart from the bible then they should not be trusted with the bible.
I only trust myself as far as I can throw myself. I am a broken, desperate man, whose only hope is in the Bible. I have found a hope in the Bible that never existed in obvious revelations to the human mind apart from the Bible.

"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14
Benstenson wrote:
There is plenty of good counsel against elevating the letter of the command above the intent of the law until the law becomes impossible.
The law was given to show man's sinfulness. Keep it.
Benstenson wrote:
Then you either chose to obey God for the wrong reasons, or chose for the right reason but then changed your mind in order to sin, or you you just noticed some involuntary shortcoming or immaturity that you had no control over and believed the devil that it was a sin. The third option is the only one that won't land someone in hell. The best case scenario is if you were accused and confused by the devil that your God-given human limitations are somehow sinful. But even so, you are still accountable to reason.
So, you never sin? You are perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect?
Benstenson wrote:
The law is love. Love is a state of the will. Sin is transgression of the law. Therefore sin is a wrong state of the will.
You draw your own conclusion here, but the Bible still states that sin is lawlessness. Nowhere does it state that sin is a wrong state of the will (perhaps it is, but this is not a comprehensive or biblical definition).
Benstenson wrote:
If you are truly wicked then your obedience was only legalism and failure inevitable. This is not what God calls us to. Obedience is not about legalism.
Obeying a law is doing what is legal. Obedience is all about legalism. You obey the traffic law and you are a law-abiding citizen. You are legal. It is illegal to break a law or disobey a law. This is lawlessness and is sin. God's law demands lawful behavior.

God's law only approves of "he who does what is right".

I need a Savior.
Last edited by dseusy on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 am

Hi dseusy,

Sorry to interrupt your discussion with Benstenson, but I'm really trying to understand what you're saying. Every time I think I have you pegged, you drop a phrase that make me think I've misunderstood. :-/
you wrote:As I apply God's laws to my life and continue to fall short of His righteousness, I continually rely on His grace and mercy...
I thought you said that because you were born again, your spirit never sins, only your flesh does -- and that doesn't count. Why would you need to continually rely on His grace and mercy? I thought you were teaching that once a person is born again the need for grace and mercy was over and done with.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Michelle,

I see why this would be confusing... I think there may be two things that contribute to this:

1. In an effort to be all things to all people and be under the law for those who are under it, I may write differently to different people

2. My righteousness is credited and I still see His promises by hope... I still live in the flesh by faith so, spiritually my need for mercy is past tense, but while this condition persists (while I live this life by faith) I am in need of mercy until judgement is over. Judgement has not yet taken place... so I haven't technically been saved from condemnation yet- but His promises are as good as done. I am saved, yet I haven't yet been saved. I am working out my salvation by faith. Does this make sense?

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi dseusy,

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the wisdom of not relying on your logic and reasoning. I'm glad you trust the Holy Spirit to lead you.
dseusy wrote:Michelle,

I see why this would be confusing... I think there may be two things that contribute to this:

1. In an effort to be all things to all people and be under the law for those who are under it, I may write differently to different people
I kind of hope you meant to say, "... and be as under the law for those who are under it..." I also hope you didn't mean to imply that I am one of those who are under the law. I assure you, I'm not. Thirdly, I'm taking this to mean that your style, scope, and vocabulary differ, but not that your actual message differs.
2. My righteousness is credited and I still see His promises by hope...
I so totally agree. Doesn't this fill you with awe?
...I still live in the flesh by faith...
Wait...what? You live in the flesh by faith? It sounds as if you're now saying your flesh might be saved.

But your diagram and this statement:
you, on July 25, wrote:However, I know that nothing good dwells in the flesh, it profits nothing, I am cursed if I make it my strength, it is weak, it will not be justified in His sight under law, it cannot inherit incorruption, I cannot be made perfect by it, it lusts against the Spirit (it is not neutral, it is wretched), I should not wrestle against it, I should put no confidence in it, and it is filthy.
led me to believe that only part of you is saved. That redemption only extends to your spirit, and that only your spirit would be resurrected, to be clothed in something other than your flesh.
I still live in the flesh by faith so, spiritually my need for mercy is past tense, but while this condition persists (while I live this life by faith) I am in need of mercy until judgement is over. Judgement has not yet taken place... so I haven't technically been saved from condemnation yet- but His promises are as good as done. I am saved, yet I haven't yet been saved. I am working out my salvation by faith. Does this make sense?
Would it be correct to rephrase what you are saying as: "I am saved and I am being saved?" Tell me about working out your salvation by faith.

MM

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Michelle,

I did mean to write "as under the law"- thanks for clarifying. I wasn't insinuating that you are under the law- from what you write I had previously gathered that you understand the teaching about righteousness. About your third point, the message only differs in its receipt by the recipient to encourage at their point in this journey.
Doesn't this fill you with awe?
Yes

Wait...what? You live in the flesh by faith? It sounds as if you're now saying your flesh might be saved.
What I mean is that my connection to the flesh is:

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2:20

I believe that my flesh will die and I will be clothed in an immortal body.
Would it be correct to rephrase what you are saying as: "I am saved and I am being saved?"
Yes
Tell me about working out your salvation by faith.
Well, we have been sanctified and we are being sanctified. I am saved and I am being saved. I am not trying to figure out how to be saved, but I am growing in faith.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks, once more, dseusy.
Well, we have been sanctified and we are being sanctified.
Tell me more about being sanctified. What does sanctify mean to you? How is it manifested in your life?

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Exodus 29, Leviticus 21, and 2 Chronicles 30:17 provide some context for the word "sanctify".

The Hebrew word means:

to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate

The Greek word is agiazo which is:

to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
consecrate things to God
dedicate people to God
to purify
to cleanse externally
to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
to purify internally by renewing of the soul

To me this means that I can draw near to God with the confidence the Father has given me in Jesus Christ. To me this means I am set apart as His. I belong to Him. I am His child. In this life I am growing in faith and His Spirit pours more fruit through this life as I rest in Him... good works He prepared in advance for me to do. As my body increasingly yields His fruit, this verse is increasingly fulfilled:

"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely ; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi dseusy,
dseusy wrote: To me this means that I can draw near to God with the confidence the Father has given me in Jesus Christ. To me this means I am set apart as His. I belong to Him. I am His child.
Hmm...to me this is the Gospel; this is what Jesus did for by His death and resurrection. I see this as having been accomplished for us; it is finished.
In this life I am growing in faith and His Spirit pours more fruit through this life as I rest in Him... good works He prepared in advance for me to do.
This is where I see the believer growing and working out his salvation. The Spirit pours more fruit through your life, so you increasingly display that fruit. You become more loving, more faithful, more patient, as well as doing good works - perhaps works of mercy like feeding the poor or showing compassion to those who mourn, for instance.
As my body increasingly yields His fruit, this verse is increasingly fulfilled:

"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely ; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 5:23
Ah, so, once again, I'm a little confused. Your body yields the fruit. Is this the same body that is filthy, wretched, good-for-nothing, and that we should not wrestle against? Where is this fruit yielding body on your diagram? The verse you cited - the one with the phrase "...and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" - uses a different word for body than you spoke of earlier in this thread. (soma vs. sarx) Does that different word mean that we are talking about a different aspect of our physical bodies? Perhaps an aspect that will be redeemed?

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Michelle,
Hmm...to me this is the Gospel; this is what Jesus did for by His death and resurrection. I see this as having been accomplished for us; it is finished.
I agree. I believe I have been sanctified because of the work of the Gospel.

Ah, so, once again, I'm a little confused. Your body yields the fruit. Is this the same body that is filthy, wretched, good-for-nothing, and that we should not wrestle against? Where is this fruit yielding body on your diagram? The verse you cited - the one with the phrase "...and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" - uses a different word for body than you spoke of earlier in this thread. (soma vs. sarx) Does that different word mean that we are talking about a different aspect of our physical bodies? Perhaps an aspect that will be redeemed?
It is the same body. It is wretched in and of itself, but Christ lives in it and His Spirit bears fruit through it. Soma is body and sarx is flesh... pretty much the same stuff, though- from what I understand. I don't believe the soma or sarx will be redeemed from flesh to flesh.

"For He remembered that they were but flesh, A breath that passes away and does not come again."
Psalm 78:39 (Hebrew... basar)

"All flesh is grass, And all its loveliness is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades, Because the breath of the Lord blows upon it; Surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever."
Isaiah 40:6b-8 (basar)

"So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:8 (sarx)

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption." 1 Corinthians 15:50 (sarx)

"knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin" Romans 6:6 (soma)

"Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts" Romans 6:12 (soma- described here as mortal)

"Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?" Romans 7:24 (soma)

"If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." Romans 8:10-11

Again, His Spirit dwells in us and gives life to our mortal somas, not by making it immortal, but by bearing fruit through it.

I believe Romans 8:23 speaks of the redemption of our bodies in the sense that it will be changed. Hebrews 9:27 shows me that it will die. 1 Corinthians 15 shows me it will be changed into a spiritual body.

"So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man. 50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed-- 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" 1 Corinthians 15:42-53

Return to “General Questions”