What is sin?

Paidion

Re: What is sin?

Post by Paidion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Here is a rather simple definition of "sin":

X commits sin when he does that which harms himself and/or others.

Your sin cannot harm God. But God, being love, does not want you to harm yourself or others. He wants the deepest happiness and joy for everyone.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Paidion,

Harm seems kind of slippery. God commanded the Israelites to harm others. And when they did it, it wasn't sin but obedience to God's command. God's Word states that sin is lawlessness (1 John 3:4). I like this definition because it is cut and dry... any disobedience to a command or law of God is sin.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Well, Dseusy, I'm not so sure that God commanded the Israelites to harm others. Jesus revealed to us what God is really like. Jesus told us that when we do good to our enemies we will really be children of the Father, since He makes his sun to shine and his rain to fall on the rightous and the unrighteous alike. Jesus is the exact imprint of the Father's essence (Heb 1:3). Did Jesus ever command anyone to harm another? If not, and if He and His Father have the same nature, then the Father would not issue such a command either.

As I see it, Moses sometimes gave commands as being from God which actually had its origin in his own thinking, though he thought them to be the revelation of God.

In John 8:3-5 we read:

The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst. They said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?”

Now if Jesus had thought the Law of Moses concerning the matter came from God, He would have said, "The law is clear. She must be stoned to death!" Perhaps He Himself would have picked up the first stone and hurled it at her. But He first made His accusers recognize their own sin, and then said to her, "I do not condemn you. Go and sin no more."

On the other hand, in Leviticus one of the laws of Moses reads:

If two men fight together, and the wife of one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of the one attacking him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; your eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11,12

Can you imagine Jesus giving the command to cut off the woman's hand for this act — to show her no pity? Yet Jesus is another, exactly like His Father. If Jesus would not have given such a command, neither would the Father.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:23 am

Well, Dseusy, I'm not so sure that God commanded the Israelites to harm others. Jesus revealed to us what God is really like. Jesus told us that when we do good to our enemies we will really be children of the Father, since He makes his sun to shine and his rain to fall on the rightous and the unrighteous alike. Jesus is the exact imprint of the Father's essence (Heb 1:3). Did Jesus ever command anyone to harm another? If not, and if He and His Father have the same nature, then the Father would not issue such a command either.

As I see it, Moses sometimes gave commands as being from God which actually had its origin in his own thinking, though he thought them to be the revelation of God.
So Joshua must have made up stories also. Would Jesus do this:

Joshua 10:7-11
New King James Version (NKJV)

7. So Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valor. 8. And the LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have delivered them into your hand; not a man of them shall stand before you.” 9. Joshua therefore came upon them suddenly, having marched all night from Gilgal. 10. So the LORD routed them before Israel, killed them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, chased them along the road that goes to Beth Horon, and struck them down as far as Azekah and Makkedah. 11. And it happened, as they fled before Israel and were on the descent of Beth Horon, that the LORD cast down large hailstones from heaven on them as far as Azekah, and they died. There were more who died from the hailstones than the children of Israel killed with the sword.

Joshua said that God fought for Israel - not only commanded the Israelites to wipe out these people, but joined with them in doing it.

Perhaps Moses made up that stuff about homosexual acts, and Paul too, of course. How do we know Paul didn't write things from his own thinking? Makes it easy to be a universalist with your approach to scripture.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:26 am

Paidion,

I understand your point and you bring up an important aspect of God's nature... God is unchanging and His Son only spoke that which His Father would have Him... so why the change? Why go from the harsh law to mercy? The Law of Moses was from God.

"In the fortieth year, on the first day of the eleventh month, Moses spoke to the children of Israel, according to all that the LORD had commanded him to give to them" Deuteronomy 1:3

"You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you. Your eyes have seen what the LORD has done in the case of Baal-peor, for all the men who followed Baal-peor, the LORD your God has destroyed them from among you. But you who held fast to the LORD your God are alive today, every one of you. See, I have taught you statutes and judgments just as the LORD my God commanded me, that you should do thus in the land where you are entering to possess it. So keep and do them, for that is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes and say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as is the LORD our God whenever we call on Him? Or what great nation is there that has statutes and judgments as righteous as this whole law which I am setting before you today?" Deuteronomy 4:2-8

"So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. The LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that you might perform them in the land where you are going over to possess it." Deuteronomy 4:13

"So you shall keep His statutes and His commandments which I am giving you today, that it may go well with you and with your children after you, and that you may live long on the land which the LORD your God is giving you for all time." Deuteronomy 4:40

Then Deuteronomy 5 lays out the 10 Commandments.

Then, more from the Lord:

"See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, which I am commanding you today; and the curse, if you do not listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside from the way which I am commanding you today, by following other gods which you have not known." Deuteronomy 11:26-28

Then Deuteronomy 12 lays out more commands after the 10 commandments and ends with, "Whatever I command you, you shall be careful to do; you shall not add to nor take away from it." Deuteronomy 12:32

Then in Deuteronomy 13-18 Moses lays down many more commands concerning feasts, sacrifices, clean and unclean animals, etc. and repeats the phrase "as" or "where the Lord chooses" over and over again, giving God the opportunity to make the promises of these commands come to pass or not.

Then, the last verse in Deuteronomy 18 is:

"When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously ; you shall not be afraid of him." Deuteronomy 18:22

Then, more commands in Deuteronomy 19, ending with:

"Thus you shall not show pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot." Deuteronomy 19:21

Then many more commands, promises, and curses from Deuteronomy 20 to Deuteronomy 28 where Moses states:

"Now it shall be, if you diligently obey the LORD your God, being careful to do all His commandments which I command you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations of the earth. All these blessings will come upon you and overtake you if you obey the LORD your God" Deuteronomy 28:1

And:

"But it shall come about, if you do not obey the LORD your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you" Deuteronomy 28:15

Deuteronomy 29 concludes:

"These are the words of the covenant which the LORD commanded Moses to make with the sons of Israel in the land of Moab, besides the covenant which He had made with them at Horeb." Deuteronomy 29:1

And:

"And you shall again obey the LORD, and observe all His commandments which I command you today" Deuteronomy 30:8

Then, the law in Leviticus begins with:

"Then the LORD called to Moses and spoke to him from the tent of meeting, saying, Speak to the sons of Israel and say to them" Leviticus 1:1

Paidion,

So why does God go from harsh to merciful?

The law is just and harsh and is the Old Covenant.

Mercy is available through God's justice in Christ and His blood... the New Covenant.

Jesus ushers in this New Covenant during His life on earth and seals it with His death.

God's harshness hasn't left. The law hasn't passed away, not a jot or a tittle. His mercy was never missing. However, His covenants with the sons of men, although very different, portrayed His character- both just and merciful and completely congruent.

I believe Jesus gives us sneak peeks of the New Covenant by not commanding the carrying out of the law against the woman caught in adultery. He is Lord of the sabbath and therefore Lord of the law.

And praise God that He has provided a way for us to approach Him with confidence.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 am

Homer, you wrote:Makes it easy to be a universalist with your approach to scripture.
I'm not sure what you are affirming here.

I stand by what I know of the character of Christ, who bearing the exact stamp of the Father's nature, is Another exactly like the Father. Jesus possessed the same character as His Father, and showed the same love for the oppressed as the Father. His works were the Father's works through Him. He never raised up an army to defeat His enemies.

John 8:28 So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me.

The Father never taught Jesus to instruct people to carry out a great slaughter such as Joshua carried out. Did God change His character from that which is depicted in the Old Testament to that which is depicted by Jesus? I'd rather possess what you consider to be a faulty "approach to scripture" than to hold a faulty, inconsistent view of God.
Paidion

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks Dseusy, for the explanation of your understanding.
Paidion

benstenson

Post by benstenson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 pm

dseusy wrote:Benstenson,

I believe most or all of God's commands are for our benefit as the command to not worry is, as you mentioned. But more than just benefiting us, there is a consequence for transgressing love. We are freed from this eternal consequence through Christ, but apart from Christ we are condemned because all have sinned (Romans 3:23; Ecclesiastes 7:20).

Honestly trying your best resulting in God not punishing you sounds good, but it is man's idea. Where is the scripture which communicates this? Since all have sinned, who honestly tries their best?

Partial obedience is total disobedience, as you stated, concerning holiness (James 2:10). If we are less than perfect, we are less than perfect. Jesus commanded us to be perfect (Matthew 5:48, James 1:4)). If the requirement was to be our best, He would have stated it. Since a loving God likely would not require the impossible, there must be some way for us to accomplish perfection in light of the inadequacy of our "best".

Lawlessness truly is harmful, as you stated, but even unintentional lawlessness is harmful. God required a sacrifice from His people for unintentional sin (Numbers 15). Those who sin unintentionally are not perfect unless they have been born again. God places heavy importance on knowing His laws (I believe for this very reason).

Let's stick to the Word, or else we may find ourselves trying to be made perfect by the flesh (Galatians 3:3).
Dsuesy. I have written most of a reply, but I want to ask you if you have been reading and understanding my replies to you? Because if you have, it seems like you are totally ignoring some really obvious, true, and reasonable statements that I've made, not to mention commentary on Ecc 7:20 and Numbers 15. It totally comes across like you can not be reasoned with at all. Did you read my posts? Is there something you didn't understand about them? I will probably post my reply to you, but I'm really not sure you even consider the things I say. I am inclined to be very blunt in responding to this "mistakes are evil" nonsense and then stop trying to convince you unless I have some reason to think you can be reasoned with. I hope you will answer me man to man, and not this twisting bible verses stuff. You're going to be accountable for the impact you have on others if you twist the bible. That is another reason I will probably respond - though it is hard to see how anyone can read totally obvious common sense and "disagree".
"out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the heavens and brought them to the man to see what he would call them" (Gen 2:19)

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:12 am

Benstenson,

I understand your frustration. I have experienced similar frustration recently so I understand where you are coming from. I do read your posts and I consider each point you make. I don't reply to them all because I know we don't see eye to eye on them and I'm not posting for argument's sake. I truly desire for us to take every thought captive to Christ (I obviously fail at this and I make as many mistakes as anyone else concerning scripture interpretation and what not). Here is my problem with common sense. It isn't common and often doesn't make spiritual sense. God is transforming the way I think and as I try not to lean on my own understanding but try to keep in step with His Spirit in regard to understanding His Word I find my own sense becoming baffled. The wisdom of this world and the common sense we possess apart from what God has revealed is foolishness. God hides His truths from the wise and reveals them to children. Under God's commands I am a broken man... a sinner who craves mercy... a sicko that Jesus said He came for. My only hope is Him. I try to stick to His Word because anything else is not a light or a lamp or real food. I have no interest in twisting the Bible for my own justification, gain, or to manipulate others or deceive myself. I've completed college courses at Grace University in biblical hermeneutics and I have memorized and meditated on much of God's Word. I say this only to give you context of who I am and what my agenda is. I'm sure I have twisted God's Word unintentionally (in fact I did it recently in a different post), but as He teaches me He continues to weed out my ignorance and immaturity (Hebrews 5). I've striven for the past 10 years to be a wise builder and a man who doesn't forget what he looks like (James)... not just hearing His Word, or intellectually processing it, or writing about it- but doing it- making observations, interpretations, and applying it day by day by day. I've discovered something in this processes of giving up my life and seeking God which has transformed the way I understand His Word and His love for me (and you). The things you post were the same things I taught fellow believers. The points you make to me make sense to me and I understand them. However, I see things differently now. If you want me to answer you man to man the only thing I can state in reply to your "do your best" theology is: focus on God and His Word. Take it literally when it is appropriate to do so (such as a command). Don't insert your own thoughts, like: "God must mean this, because it would be unreasonable for Him to mean what it literally states." God's ways are higher than ours by more distance than we can fathom. When He commands something, take it literally. He is holy and we are formed from dirt... we have no right to tell Him what He meant to say. He said it perfectly. Keep His commands, His laws, or you may find yourself justifying yourself in unrighteousness. This is as frank as I can be... as man to man as I am willing without being unloving. You won't convince me to see things your way because I already did and now I don't- not because of hardness of heart or waywardness- I have been lead by Him and His Word the entire way, day by day. I will do my best to continue to have a soft heart toward His Word. I will be sharpened by it but I will try not to trust in man.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Benstenson,

You posted:

God's forgiveness is conditional. Repentance is a condition of pardon.

I agree with you. However, consider Hebrews 10:

"And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." Hebrews 10:10

"because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." Hebrews 10:14

I repented of my sinful life and God gave me new life and I was born again. All things are new for me as I see my new life hidden in Christ where there is no sin. My whole life of sin has been pardoned.

I posted:

Love cannot be produced by man

You replied:

Wrong. Love is benevolence – the ultimate intention to promote the highest well-being of God and His kingdom. The ultimate intention of our will is by definition within our own power. God's law says to love Him with YOUR heart, YOUR soul, YOUR mind, and YOUR strength.

I don't know what love is apart from God describing it to me and setting an example of it through Jesus. If I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12) then I must define truth by the source of it, rather than by my reasoning alone... (Proverbs 3:5-6)

"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth." John 17:17

1 Corinthians 13 defines love as never failing.
You state that love is benevolence and that love is our intention to promote something which we are able to choose to do.

I find a contradiction within myself between these two definitions because by your definition I can produce love.

According to God's Word love never fails, which I am unable to do.

Since love is unfailing by definition, and I fail, I find God's Word to be true to my experience...

apart from God we can do nothing (John 15).

You might think this would be depressing, but rather, it is humbling and I find great joy in knowing that Christ provides the required love in my life.

Return to “General Questions”