What is my responsibility as a Christian?

dseusy

Re: What is my responsibility as a Christian?

Post by dseusy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 am

Troy,

I agree that ethics, specifically God's ethics, are critically important and that they are produced from union with Christ. Isn't it a joy to know that these ethics are produced by Him?

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 am

It most certainly is.

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

We work out and draw from the fountain of what God has worked in us, and we are progressively formed into the image of Christ, and Christ is formed in us.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 am

Our flesh is progressively formed by Him according to His good pleasure, and our spirits are already formed in His image as our worked-out salvation will testify to. The carnal will soon pass, and I can hardly wait (Romans 8:22-25).

Amyfree

Post by Amyfree » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Romans 7+25 means God is our mind/soul we are possessed with the Holy Spirit; and then the law of sin our flesh must control our sin, (saved through faith by grace).

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Jesus, in Matthew chapter 5 states Mosaic Law and then elevates it. If the law was introduced or added that sin might increase or abound and it could never bring life (Hebrews 10:1), why do we treat it as though it could? The law leads us to Christ, so I agree that Jesus' commands are not optional or suggestions, but if we never grow into the teaching about righteousness (that which is credited, not earned) how can we live? Jesus commands very difficult things. If they are not optional, what is the consequence? If breaking Jesus' commands is a sin, and sin leads to death, who will rescue us from the just consequence for our sin under Jesus' commands?

James who alluded to Matt 5 many times said that if we know to do good and don't, it is sin so although some of Jesus commands are difficult it is what he has told us to strive for. They are not elevating the law of Moses , they are pinpointing the intentions of our hearts,like mercy,purity of heart,humility, peacemaking, restraining anger and emphasizing love. Sin does not lead the believer in Christ to death because God's grace is greater and we have forgiveness yet with forgiveness we do have the responsibility to strive to follow what our Lord told us to do.
So when you call Jesus commands "exhortations" i think you are disagreeing with James.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:48 am

Amyfree,

I don't understand... could you elaborate?

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 am

Steve7150,

When I mentioned that Jesus elevates the Law of Moses in Matthew 5, what I meant was Jesus would state a Law of Moses command, and then would raise the bar. Things like, you have heard it said this, but I tell you this... "You have heard that it was said 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.', but I say to you do not resist an evil person", or, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." So with this understanding, I do believe that Jesus elevated the Law of Moses. Jesus took it to a "motives of the heart" level, or intentions of the heart as you stated. It is a higher level of righteousness because it goes past the letter of the law and pierces to the spirit of it.

If we have the responsibility to strive to follow what our Lord told us to do, we are accountable to this God-given responsibility.

Have we taken this seriously? Are we collecting these commands and performing them all? Are we taking John 15 and James 1 & 2 to heart?

Please consider a few verses regarding your statement...

"Sin does not lead the believer in Christ to death because God's grace is greater and we have forgiveness yet with forgiveness we do have the responsibility to strive to follow what our Lord told us to do."

We cannot be in Christ and sin (1 John 3:6, 9; 5:18).

However, our flesh never ceases to sin (1 John 1:8, Romans 7:21-25).

That part of us (our spirit) which is born of God cannot sin. (1 John, 2 Corinthians 5:17)

Steve7150, I submit for your consideration that forgiveness and responsibility don't mix well. Perhaps human forgiveness begs that responsibility follows, as asking for forgiveness implies that you won't repeat the same trespass. But with God, we need forgiveness over and over again and we will certainly repeat trespass again (I state trespass instead of 'same trespass' because if you break any part of God's commands, you are guilty of breaking them all- James 2:10). As a result, Jesus was sent to be responsible for us, and offered us forgiveness once for a lifetime of sin. This is not an excuse to sin on purpose- why would we desire to trample forgiveness or spit on perfect love? But when we hate the sin that occurs in our bodies, it is no longer our born of God selves sinning, but sin living in our body (Romans 7:17, 20). This Gospel, this grace and mercy, allows us to approach God- despite our earthly struggles. We have been reconciled to God, through Christ.

God will lead us as we seek to be found in His love.

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm

dseusy,

I am trying to understand exactly what you are saying and still a little confused. Are you saying that as a Christian when I stumble and sin, that I do not ask God for forgiveness? I have to say that just doesn't sound right. Because as a Christian, I still fall short, and I feel guilt, and then I tell God I am sorry, and that I do not want to do that again, and I know I am forgiven.

Doug

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi dseusy,
If we have the responsibility to strive to follow what our Lord told us to do, we are accountable to this God-given responsibility.

Have we taken this seriously? Are we collecting these commands and performing them all? Are we taking John 15 and James 1 & 2 to heart?
I don't understand these questions. Are you suggesting that we are not taking these commands seriously? I know that I am, and I believe that most of the participants here do also. I am not used to dialoguing with a Christian who does not think he should obey Christ. Is that what you are saying about yourself? Perhaps you are accustomed to being in different "Christian" circles, but disciples are taught to observe all things that Christ commanded.

I submit for your consideration that forgiveness and responsibility don't mix well. Perhaps human forgiveness begs that responsibility follows, as asking for forgiveness implies that you won't repeat the same trespass.
I think you don't know what the word "responsibility" means, and you are confusing everyone by giving it a special meaning all your own. As I said previously (I would like you to respond), if we bear no responsibility, then we bear no guilt (guilt is the result of neglecting a responsibility). If we have no guilt, then we do not require forgiveness. Thus, no responsibility = no forgiveness. How are you not seeing this?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I do believe that Jesus elevated the Law of Moses. Jesus took it to a "motives of the heart" level, or intentions of the heart as you stated. It is a higher level of righteousness because it goes past the letter of the law and pierces to the spirit of it.

Dseusy,
James who alluded to the beautitudes numerous times called Jesus commands/sayings/principals the "law of liberty" contrasting it with the law of Moses about which Paul said the law of Moses brought death. So if James calls the beatitudes the law of liberty & Paul says the law of Moses brought death how is one a magnification of the other? They are different animals.
As far as references to never sinning if we are in Christ, i think God means a pattern of sinning , not individual sins, for James also said believers all stumble but we then get up and continue. Yes we are accountable and responsible to get up and continue on the narrow path.
Yes we are forgiven but we are responsible to "do good" not for salvation but to please God.

Return to “General Questions”