What is my responsibility as a Christian?

dseusy

What is my responsibility as a Christian?

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 am

I've heard a lot of doctrines floating around about this and I'd like to see the Body of Christ embracing His Word for an answer...

thoughts?

steve

Re: What is my responsibility as a Christian?

Post by steve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 am

This is either a very big question or a very small one, depending on how much detail you were hoping to receive in an answer. one could present a long list of duties that are spoken of in scripture—responsibilities toward family, toward one's employer or employees, toward one's neighbor, toward one's government, toward one's enemies, toward the brethren in Christ, etc. The Bible addresses all of these. The list could be very long.

Or else, it could be very short, as in "My responsibility as a Christian is to follow Jesus"—which would include everything on the longer list.

You mention a lot of doctrines about this. Could you identify the ones you have heard, and what kind of answer you hope to receive here?

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Steve,

When you mention a long list as our responsibility in following Jesus, do you mind expanding on that? Is the list commands? It is exhortations? Is it both?

When I think of responsibility, I think of what I am required or obligated to fulfill as a follower... not that Jesus has removed choice, but I sincerely care about being a follower and care for others to know they are fulfilling their responsibility.

I don't mean to split hairs, nor is my focus identifying the least one must do to be saved as some sort of object of lukewarmness or laziness- I just want us to know we have eternal life, know the value of Christ, and understand our own value for the sake of our joy and love for one another.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't have the time to list all of the commands of the New Testament. However, reading Matthew 5-7 and Matthew 18 will provide a good start.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm

The commands in Mathew 5-7 and Matthew 18 are my responsibility? Aren't these the law that Jesus fulfilled? And if He didn't fulfill these, who's blood will cover my sin if I make a mistake?

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 am

I don't understand the question. Jesus clearly indicated that anyone who would hear that sermon and fail to do what He said was to be regarded as a fool, and would not stand the storms of life (7:26-27). It sounds like obeying Him was considered to be obligatory.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:30 am

The commands in Mathew 5-7 and Matthew 18 are my responsibility? Aren't these the law that Jesus fulfilled? And if He didn't fulfill these, who's blood will cover my sin if I make a mistake?dseusy

As i understand it, Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses whereas the Beautitudes (Matt 5-7) are his principals to live by if you really want to follow him. These principals are not obligations but principals to live by if you love Jesus. Paul says we love God because he loved us first in that Christ died for us while we were yet sinners.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 am

The ancient Greek word for law in the New Testament is almost always universal law, not the law of Moses. Understanding what law is and what the standard of righteousness truly is is paramount to understanding God's grace and mercy. Jesus fulfilled all law. Your second point is accurate and it is law. It is obligatory under law. Jesus preached the Law of Moses. If you strive to obey these and call it love for Jesus, then I submit for your consideration that you are obligated to obey the whole law... animal sacrifices and all, and N.T. commands as well.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:21 am

Dseusy,

The law of Moses contained 613 laws. Though the Bible never lists them by category, it is obvious that some of them were moral in nature (don't murder, steal, lie) and some were ceremonial in nature (sacrifice this, don't eat that, do this to your baby boys).

When it says that Jesus fulfilled the law, the phrase is applied in separate ways to the different categories of sin. Fulfilling the moral law means that He lived a sinless life. Fulfilling the ceremonial law means that He was the embodiment to which those sacred shadows hinted.

We 'become' Christians by attaching ourselves to Jesus (being 'in Christ'). This initial 'becoming' doesn't require any 'works' on our part. We don't earn it by obeying rules and regulations. We simply repent of our disobedience and receive the forgiveness that comes through the blood of Christ.

Once we have become a Christian, we are citizens of a new King. Good citizens obey the constitution of their kingdom. In our case, we are happy to obey the laws of our King since He is a perfect and loving King. But just b/c we are pleased to submit to His authority doesn't dictate that His laws can't be spoken of as requirements. If we were to, at some point, boldly declare that we no longer want to submit to the King, we cease to be citizens in good standing.

I've been reading your posts and I find them perplexing. Are you trying to suggest that Christians should have no sense of obligation to obey their King? I don't think you could possibly be saying that, but it's hard to tell.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am

Mattrose,

Your reply here is well said and I appreciate your question.

I believe the initial 'becoming' is our born-again moment. We are a new creation, the old has gone and the new has come. Jesus fulfilled the law and now we are credited HIS righteousness.

Paul was frustrated because new Christians were accepting Christ's death on their behalf and then turning right around and subjecting themselves to the law again... there was no freedom, only bondage to works. Paul saw them circumcising themselves per the old covenant and it tore his heart out because they were placing themselves in a position where Christ would have to die again to cover their sin under the law (which they were subjecting themselves to by getting circumcised for the wrong reason), but we know Christ only died once.

I was happy to obey the laws of my King and I did a pretty good job (from the world's eyes, and the eyes of Christians). I was staff with The Navigators, I was making disciples, I was spending hours each day, seeking the Lord and applying His Word to my life. This is all good and I'm not at all insinuating that this is wrong. The problem lied in my motivation. I was trying to 'be' good by my works. I received God's grace, but my understanding was limited. So, here comes Paul's argument all over again. I was a pharisee of pharisees... (I was a "Christian" of Christians). I did everything Christians required of me, and did a dang good job of obeying "the king's constitution". If you were to look at my life, you would agree that I'm a great Christian.

Mattrose, please consider your statements, "we repent of our disobedience and receive the forgiveness that comes through the blood of Christ" and then, "In our case, we are happy to obey the laws of our King".

The writer of Hebrews exhorts us to move past "repentance from dead works". If we needed Jesus to die for us because of the Law of Moses, what about the "new constitution"? Did you know the "new constitution" is full of laws, many of which are from the Law of Moses? Here is why I asked the question, "What is my responsibility as a Christian?". I see many brothers and sisters being freed from the requirements and consequence of death under the Law of Moses (since not a jot or tittle will pass from the law until all is fulfilled), but then we turn right around and place ourselves back under the law. We are oblivious about what law really is and which type of law Paul speaks of. The "new constitution" is not just things I do to show Jesus love... they are required for me to be in Christ. I can't sin and be in Christ. When we break a N.T. command we sin. Who will die for this new sin? Did Jesus just die to cover animal sacrifices and O.T. law? If that's all He died for, who will cover my N.T. sin? I can't just repent and have Jesus cover it... He died for sin once for all! Otherwise all "unrepented" sin would mean death for me. This doesn't sound like good news to me.

So, although I look like a good Christian to the world, by looking intently into the law, not forgetting it, but doing it... I see myself in a mirror by the standard of true righteousness, which is weightier than I can bear. I love Jesus dearly, and although I've sought obedience to the King with tears, I find that I'm still a wretch (but the mystery is that it is only in my flesh). Christians should have a sense of obligation to their King and should be obedient... but this is law. God is helping me move from a servant, to a friend.

Return to “General Questions”