Counselling someone who just found they have cancer

tdarr2201

Counselling someone who just found they have cancer

Post by tdarr2201 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:51 pm

I have a cousin (upper 40s) who just found out that she has stage 4 cancer. It was quite a shock to say the least, especially such an advanced stage. She has sent an email to me and other family members asking for Scriptural help to get her through this. Sadly, I am coming up blank ... She does not go to church, but has somewhat of a Christian heritage, I believe.

Any suggestions on how to counsel her would be appreciated, as would your prayers (her name is Theresa) ...

Tim Darr
Bristow, OK
Tim Darr
Bristow, OK

steve7150

Re: Counselling someone who just found they have cancer

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Any suggestions on how to counsel her would be appreciated, as would your prayers (her name is Theresa) ...

Hi, If you or her believe it's God's will for Theresa to be healed i suggest you listen to Andrew Wommack's audio teachings re "God wants you well" and "A better way to Pray" at AWMI.NET under audio teachings. May God's grace shower Theresa and heal her completely.

look2jesus

Post by look2jesus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 am

My sympathies, Tim, for what your cousin is going through.

I will share with you some of my thoughts as I think we can all relate to this kind of circumstance.

When it comes to other people and especially to those that I love or have a fondness for, the primary concern is whether or not they have a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ. I have two children, neither of whom are following the Lord and my greatest fear is that they will die before they come to trust in Jesus. They are both young and in good health right now, but if something life threatening were to happen to either of them, as in the case with your cousin, the focus of my prayers and my conversations would be to point them to Jesus.

Since I became dedicated to Jesus as my Lord, my physical life and all that it entails has become less and less important to me the more I focus on eternal things. Let's face it...we're all going to die some day by whatever means that it may come, but none of our lives here on earth, in light of eternity, are going to add up to much except, of course, whatever one might have accomplished for Christ and His kingdom. So, that's the principal thing.

For me personally, I no longer fear death, per se, since my hope rests secure in God's word that I will live with Him forever, after this life is over. It's true enough that as "bond slaves" of Jesus Christ our only concern should be what pleases our master, but despite this, God has graciously given us great and precious promises that are ours in Christ Jesus. So here is some of the "scriptural help" that comes to my mind.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (NKJV)

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (KJV)

2 Corinthians 5:1-9
For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. (NKJV)

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. (NKJV)

John 16:33
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. (NKJV)

Hebrews 4:14-16
Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (NKJV)

These are some of the scriptures that come to mind as I consider your cousin's situation. Of course, there is always the possibility that God will heal your cousin, and that would be awesome! But the most important healing that we all need is spiritual healing and that is what I pray most for when it comes to my loved ones. I hope this is helpful. I have prayed for Theresa and it is my hope that God will heal her both ways!

l2j
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowlege and discernment...Philippians 1:9 ESV

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:36 am

look2jesus,

Thanks for the good post!

Homer

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi, If you or her believe it's God's will for Theresa to be healed i suggest you listen to Andrew Wommack's audio teachings re "God wants you well" and "A better way to Pray" at AWMI.NET under audio teachings. May God's grace shower Theresa and heal her completely.steve7150

BTW i also agree knowing Jesus as Lord is by far the most important thing for Theresa , i had assumed that was the case but if not i would first pursue this and not from the perspective that it would be more likely for God to heal her.
Scripture says that we love God because he loved us first while we were yet sinners Christ died for our sins. Knowing God loves us is the greatest healing there is and once our hearts are open then all things are possible for those who love God.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:30 am

I certainly agree that her "spiritual healing" comes first.

But she also needs a physical healing miracle. Why shouldn't she have both?

I think, as Christians, we need to be aggressive when it comes to praying for healing. I think we need to command sickness and disease to leave in Jesus' name.

I heard Bill Johnson say this:
"It's [cancer] a Goliath that has been taunting the armies of the living God. And we need Davids to pick up their stones and to run after the thing, and stop speaking of it with respect like it's powerful. It's an inferior name to the name Jesus."
I like this attitude, and it certainly feels better to pray in faith and go after the thing and leave the results to God. Entering the battle against sickness with a defeatist attitude (and I would argue the great majority of Christians do just that) isn't much fun, and probably isn't very effective, either.

TK

Return to “General Questions”