Recommended Books

blackheart

Recommended Books

Post by blackheart » Fri May 21, 2010 5:10 pm

While I was listening to podcasts of the narrow path, you mentioned that you listen to books and lectures with an ipod. Could you direct me to some quality lectures - I commute ~ 3 hrs each day and use the time for learning - and have run through all of your lectures and most of your radio broadcasts

Thanks
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

steve

Recommended Books

Post by steve » Fri May 21, 2010 5:35 pm

My ipod has the following books on it (all of which are worth multiple "readings")—

Of the Imitation of Christ — Thomas a Kempis
The Practice of the Presence of God — Brother Lawrence
Foxe's Book of Martyrs — John Foxe
Pilgrim's Progress — John Bunyan
Mere Christianity — C. S. Lewis
God in the Dock — C. S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters — C. S. Lewis
The Great Divorce — C. S. Lewis
Miracles — C. S. Lewis
The Problem of Pain — C. S. Lewis
The Pursuit of God — A. W. Tozer
God's Pursuit of Man — A. W. Tozer
The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life — Hannah Whitall Smith
God's Smuggler — Brother Andrew
The Hiding Place — Corrie ten Boom
The Heavenly Man — Brother Yun
What's Wrong With the World? — G. K. Chesterton
The Secret Message of Jesus — Brian McLaren
A New Kind of Christian — Brian McLaren
The Story We Find Ourselves In — Brian McLaren
Finding and Following Jesus — N.T. Wright
The Challenge of Jesus —N.T. Wright
Paul in Fresh Perspective — N.T. Wright
Basic Christianity — John R.W. Stott
The Calvary Road — Roy Hession

Many of these are "classics" and can be found for free download on the internet—though the free ones are often not read with much pizazz. All of them can be downloaded for a price less than that of buying them on CD. I am always looking for more of my favorite titles in audiobook, so if others know of some good sources, please let me know. However, my present collection could keep me in good fellowship, with some of my favorite people, for many years, if I were isolated on a desert island (so long as I had a solar charger for my ipod).

mattrose

Recommended Books

Post by mattrose » Fri May 21, 2010 10:22 pm

I thought Chesterton's response to that question was "I am"

Is this a REALLY short audio book? Or did he later enlongate his response? :)

lee

Recommended Books

Post by lee » Sat May 22, 2010 8:53 am

Is there a way to convert books to audiofiles?

steve

Recommended Books

Post by steve » Sat May 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Do you mean having a computer read the written book out loud? This can be done, but the reading voice usually does not sound very "human."

darinhouston

Recommended Books

Post by darinhouston » Sat May 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Try podiobooks.com

Heretics
G.K. Chesterton "Heretics," a series of essays by Gilbert Keith Chesterton. First published in 1905. Read by David "Grizzly" Smith. Chesterton had a sense of humor, had a sense of drama, and had sense. He was a man of strong opinions, and quite willing to argue vehemently for his own opinions, even with his friends -- and they remained his friends -- like George Bernard Shaw and Rudyard Kipling. Seems to me that is hard to find anymore. He wrote prolifically. He wrote humor. He wrote mystery novels,...
Orthodoxy
G.K. Chesterton "Orthodoxy," a series of essays by Gilbert Keith Chesterton. First published in 1908. Read by David "Grizzly" Smith. "The only possible excuse for this book is that it is an answer to a challenge. Even a bad shot is dignified when he accepts a duel." This is how Chesterton explains "Orthodoxy," the sequel to Heretics. "I have attempted in a vague and personal way, in a set of mental pictures rather than in a series of deductions, to state the philosophy in which I have come to believe. I...

roblaine

Recommended Books

Post by roblaine » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:51 pm

All of these lists are excellent recommendations. I would add to the list George MacDonald's "Getting to Know Jesus". It's a collection of twelve sermons.
It matters little where a man may be at this moment; the point is whether he is growing.
-George MacDonald

SamIam

Recommended Books

Post by SamIam » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

If you are using iTunes software, you can go to the iTunes store and click iTunesU and Universities and Colleges.

You can find a number of seminaries and colleges that have course lectures available.

Return to “General Questions”