What would you do?

Don

What would you do?

Post by Don » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi, I hope to get some input on a situation in my life. And I sent an email to the narrow path to get the ball rolling, and thought I would throw it out on the forum . Here, goes...

I am staying with some family, as I am unemployed. My aunt is very heavily into the new age, and claims to be a christian/protestant. The family never talks to me about religion, except to say she(my aunt) is praying. Also, any christian religious mailings, etc, come to me without being read, etc. They know I am a very "religious" man. I don't hide my bible, and listen to your program in the evening, and have a silent prayer over my meals. Also was asked to say the "blessing" at Thanksgiving. I also use scripture references when there is an occasion to.
My dilemma is this, I was given a non-refundable gift certificate for a set of tires in November I think. and not knowing what it was, told my Aunt that if it were money, I did not want it, as I was already indebted to her. She tossed 2 envelopes in my lap and said it was not money.
So I saw the gift, and began to read the card. Before I read the card, she told me that she had a deep spiritual connection with her mom (who is dead), and had mentioned on 2 other occasions that she was "getting signals" from her mom.
The card said that her parents(both dead) wanted me to have these tires, and then I really became consternated, and said nothing.
I did not know what to do, and looked for recent info, and it seemed hard to come by for new age. I have spent alot of time and frustration, and tears over this. Finally, about after 3 weeks of dragging my feet, I got the tires, because I was looking irresponsible, and did not want the non-refundable gift to become non-useable do to my dragging my feet until I knew what to do. I did not have the money to give her.
I have been reading and searching, and am full of all kinds of feelings about this, mostly my own inadequacy.
A couple of weeks ago I approached my Aunt to give her the money back, and to try to explain, but she got very emotional, and upset before I could speak, said"you don't give back gifts", and muddied the waters by telling me that her brothers were involved in this too(a fact I did not know). I said we need to talk about this, and she said no.
She does not understand my issue( that I have agonized over), and i'm sure thinks it's because I don't want help. It is the way it came about, thats is the issue, and I do not want to endorse sin.
I have thought about just writing a letter( partly so to get her attention focused, and so there is no confusion when the info is talked about among the family, and so she cannot interrupt and confuse the situation, there is alot of distraction here, for her.), and trying to detail this issue, and tell her that her practices have put her in great danger, both from God, and the enemy.
But so much time is passing, I am ......undone????
I feel stuck like Chuck, and miserable!
Please understand that these family members have been very good to me, and are very kind. Although, I honestly feel like I should leave this situation, and that I should'nt even be here or even eat there food, but I try not to put a whole lot of stock in feelings. I am concerned about my christian witness, but winding up here may not have done that much good, though I was frequently asked to come here.
I feel like I am in a spiritual chess game, and i'm in check or something.
So, should the money go back?
The scripture that came to mind was when Paul said "not to eat, for their conscience sake". if I had been given the gift without the dead being directly involved, there would be no issue. It would have been just a nice thing done for a family member.
I will say I found a good website for new age called,http://www.christiananswersforthenewage.org/.It has some very useful links also. Hope it will help someone.
Don (tag...your it)
Last edited by Don on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve7150

Re: What would you do?

Post by steve7150 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:17 pm

The scripture that came to mind was when Paul said "not to eat, for their conscience sake". if I had been given the gift without the dead being directly involved, there would be no issue. It would have been just a nice thing done for a family member.

I don't think accepting her gift means you're endorsing her belief system and i think trying to give it back may create strife which will please the devil and hurt your witness.
There are countless false belief systems and instead of countering each one i think we should just lift up Christ by whatever way is available such as being thankful and appreciative to them and if you get the opportunity maybe you can plant the seed in your Aunt's heart about Jesus.

TK

Post by TK » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 pm

i tend to agree with you, steve, but i wasnt sure how to phrase it. you did quite well.

TK

Allyn

Post by Allyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm

I think it is fine to accept the gift no matter what her beliefs are.

Return to “General Questions”