Citizenship

blackheart

Citizenship

Post by blackheart » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 am

I am a Canadian that has resided in Texas for the last 11 years. My wife and I, along with our kids have went through "heck" to get our green cards/permanent residency status. At this point in time, we are considering citizenship.

My question is....

How does our citizenship in heaven effect a decision like this?

Thanks
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

steve

Re: Citizenship

Post by steve » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:25 am

I don't think that having citizenship in heaven tells for or against seeking "citizen" status in any given earthly nation. Our true citizenship is that of the Kingdom of God, regardless what nation issues your passport. Earthly "citizenship" is not actual, but apparent. From a biblical point of view, we are all pilgrims and strangers here, serving as ambassadors and agents of another King. National recognition of "citizenship" is strictly a matter of expedience.

blackheart

Post by blackheart » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:22 pm

During the citizenship application, it is required that I offer an oath of allegience to the United States.

A conflict seems to be evident.
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

christopher

Post by christopher » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi Blackheart,

I think this would fall in the category of "give to Caesar what is Caesars, and to God what is God's". The two need not be in contradiction. For the sake of national citizenship, you can pledge an oath to one earthly government over another with an implied understanding that your ultimate allegiance is to another King...one Jesus.

So, come on in...the water's warm. :D

Jess

Post by Jess » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:26 am

I saw an article in the local paper a couple of weeks ago which chronicled the journey of a citizenship class. I seem to remember that there were exeptions allowed to certain parts of the oath based on religious convictions. I don't know all the details but I think it talked about people who had objections to serving in the military etc..

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 am

I saw an article in the local paper a couple of weeks ago which chronicled the journey of a citizenship class. I seem to remember that there were exeptions allowed to certain parts of the oath based on religious convictions. I don't know all the details but I think it talked about people who had objections to serving in the military etc..
This seems to be what you're referring to:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

Return to “General Questions”