Secular Music that Seems Devotional

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:39 am

GCS- you are right about sigur ros- which is why in my original post on this subject i said "composers/bands that are definitely not Christian."

The point of discussion, therefore, is whether a musical group with a homosexual lead singer (if you can call what he does "singing") can create a piece of music that can, for lack of a better phrase, make someone think about God. but no need to limit it to homosexual band members- they might also be drug addicts or alcoholics, or sexually promiscuous, or any of a number of sinful things.

It is my experience that this is possible, despite the original intentions of the creator of the piece of music. For example, a composer may write a piece of music with the intention of helping a new-ager get in touch with their "spirit guide." but a christian who hears it may find that it helps him/her get in touch with God- the God of the bible. isnt this possible?

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

__id_1880

Post by __id_1880 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Reason:

__id_1880

Post by __id_1880 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:43 pm

Reason:

_Erich

Post by _Erich » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:49 am

Wow! Hearts of Space, Brian Eno, Sigur Ros, where was I when this first posted :D
I personally have enjoyed great times of prayer while listening to instrumental, ambient, low fi type music and even enjoy listening to the "Drone Zone" on SomaFM radio online in the background while listening to Steve's studies. :wink:
While on the other hand I find myself cringing more often than not when ever I turn to the Christian radio station like K-love. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy Christian worship music (being one who leads worship from time to time) but I too have struggled with my feelings on the subject and I appreciate hearing that I am not the only one.
Another great band I would recommend is “Explosions in the Sky” – beautiful! The band "M83" also has some pretty amazing songs.

Erich <><
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 am

I came across this tune by Moby- i dont know much about him except that he is a DJ and reportedly a christian, although I do not believe he writes explicitly christian music. This melody is kind of stuck in my head.

God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

TK

Re: Secular Music that Seems Devotional

Post by TK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 am

recently discovered another CD: "Copia" by Eluvium.

Here's are a couple of tracks:

Amreik

indoor swimming at the space station

TK

Return to “General Questions”