Just Received a Prophecy

_Swiftelk

Just Received a Prophecy

Post by _Swiftelk » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:43 pm

Last edited by _peggy on Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 am

i must confess that i do not attend a charismatic church and never have, so the whole idea of someone giving me a personal prophecy is foreign to me.

with that proviso, i would state that if someone said that prophecy to me, i would respond: "And?"

in other words, this prophecy seems to be awfully general. its essentially a statement of generally accepted truths.

to me, it's akin to a algebra teacher explaining to his class on the first day of school: "beginning today, you are going to learn algebra. but you will have to listen and study." no kidding!

i am not intending to be disrespectful in any way. that's simply my impression.

TK
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:05 am

I agree with TK.

I'm not sure why this couldn't be spoken to any male person who loves God and follows him. I don't see any new information that isn't already found in the teaching of Jesus.

If you're experiencing some level of confusion or lack of understanding regarding this "word" that was given, it may be because there wasn't any new information given in this. I wouldn't spend too much time mulling it over.

Instead, I would turn to the words of Jesus recorded in the Gospels. They are definitely the words of God and are actually life-changing.

On a side note, why does God still speak in a quasi King James english dialect in the 21st century? :roll:

Dave
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:56 pm

good point shoel, about the "thees" and "thys." i didnt even think about that.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:39 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum Swiftelk.

While I do beleive in prophecy, I must admit that most of what goes on today doesn't strike me as such.

No offense, Swiftelk, but this "prophecy" just seems fake to me. The psudeo king james english, the fact that they taped it, and the vagueness of it just seem to be either entirely fake, or something a well meaning believer thought they "heard". Think of horascopes, and phychics. They always say things that could fit most people, and thus convince their hearers they see into the future.

I always think of this scripture when I hear of this sort of thing:

Jer 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
Jer 23:30 Therefore, behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that steal my words every one from his neighbour.
Jer 23:31 Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
Jer 23:32 Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the LORD, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their lightness; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore they shall not profit this people at all, saith the LORD.

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_Swiftelk

Post by _Swiftelk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:30 pm

ds
Last edited by _peggy on Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I will even have much mercy upon thy mother and thy father and all thy loved ones,
tell thee my son even this day, that I have placed upon thee things that I have not placed upon thee in many days.
I was just wondering if these statements meant anything to you? If they did, was the person previously aware of the situation with your parents? Were they aware of things God had "placed" in your life again recently or was this more of a declaration about God was doing at that moment?

I know of situations where something was shared with someone that meant something very specific to the person. For example...I know a woman who recenly lost her husband and has young children. A Christian who was visiting a Church from Mexico, and didn't know her or her situation, went to her and said "God says I'm your Husband and the Father of your home." I was wondering if this was the case with you. OR was did it come across in more of a general sense...something you hadn't thought about.

For example...someone once approached me and said "I really need to share this with you....I see prosperity all over you...the ability to deal in business and earn money....then you will bless the kingdom with finances" It didn't resonate with me at all. It had never occurred to me. It was like someone walking up to Babe Ruth and saying "I see a ballet dancer."

I guess what I'm trying to ask is "Did this hit you between the eyes"? or was it more like "Ok...I wonder what that means?"
Reason:
Avatar...My daughter and I standing on a glass floor. well over 1000 feet above ground at the CN Tower in Toronto...the tiny green dots beside my left foot are trees.

_Swiftelk

Post by _Swiftelk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:23 pm

dfgsdf
Last edited by _peggy on Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Swiftelk,

Since the content of this prophecy dosen't specifically strike you in any particular way it may not be a "prophecy from the Lord" per se. It could simply be a brother or sister trying to encourage you in the Lord...which I guess is a form of prophecy.

The encouragment to do God's will is good BUT Since you seem to have a significant amount of exposure to a legalistic cult, may I caution you about these exhortations:

Thou art precious unto me and I tell thee my son that thou must serve me
I tell thee my son, thou must keep all my commandments and thou must do my will.
I tell thee that I would that thou would come unto me and humble thy heart and do all that the scriptures command thee to do. I will even have much mercy upon thy mother and thy father and all thy loved ones, but my son thou must do my will.
I don't know the spirit in which these exhortations were given BUT they could be interpreted in a very preformance based, legalistic way.

Remember, Christ grants us, undeserved, new life and we walk in it. We don't try to follow the letter but walk in Christ's power and spirit. Are we to follow God's word? Yes. But put first things first. We are first accepted into the beloved and then walk in his ways with joy. We don't obey in order to be accepted or receive mercy.
Reason:
Avatar...My daughter and I standing on a glass floor. well over 1000 feet above ground at the CN Tower in Toronto...the tiny green dots beside my left foot are trees.

_Swiftelk

Post by _Swiftelk » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Anothersteve, Thank you for taking the time to find more about the situation before commenting strongly one way or the other.

What I was always taught from this church is that when you are baptized and give your life over to Christ that you receive the Spirit. Once you have the Spirit you have the strength and mind/will to be "walk in newness of life" Therefore you are no longer a man of sin. You now have the power to overcome. Now there still is allowance for sin in that there is a "sin unto death" and a "sin not unto death". A sin not unto death could be prayed for and repented of, but a sin unto death, (adultery, murder, blasphemy, heresy...) this person is "handed over to satan for the destruction of the flesh so that the spirit will be saved..." That is, the person is spiritually dead and kicked out of the church and there physical body will die someday.

All that to say this. Once you are baptized you receive the Spirit to give you strength to earn your way to heaven. If you don't abide in Christ then you are cut off... that is if you sin a sin unto death then you are no longer abiding in Christ.

I have been coming away from this mentality for the last couple years and I guess am alittle bit confused still on the balance. Because, you get people that think they are saved because they said the "sinners prayer" at a Billy concert and then live their life just as carnally as before. So, I find myself being two-sided. When I talk to a Billy believer, I tell them they have to be alittle more obedient and focus alittle more on works and seeking the Lord alittle more closely. Then I talk with someone from my old church and find my self quoting stuff like "there is now no condemnation" "you have passed from death to life" "if any man sin we have a advocate" "all sins are forgiven man except for the blasphemy of the Spirit" (although they would say that that is primarily to the non-believer who is saved)

I guess I am still struggling with the whole concept and then on top of that I get a prophecy that I have to determine whether or not is valid which in and of itself can be a scary thing.
Last edited by _peggy on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”