A question for those parents who chose not to homeschool

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:50 am

I attended a Christian school, K-12. In my experiences, I faced much of what is faced in the public schools regarding my peers. Bullying and peer pressure to sin were both present.

Another thing I faced which is unique to Christian schools was a emphasis on a legalism and rules. Obviously, all students must follow rules, but many of my Christian teachers seemed to view kids who followed the rules (at least publicly) as the good Christian kids and those who didn't as the bad kids. I generally fell into the latter category. However, many of the "good" kids were living lives of hypocrisy outside the school walls. Many of my teachers and the administration didn't seem to care why I was a bad kid, but were just interested that I follow the rules. It wasn't until my senior year of high school that I remember a teacher actually asking if I was saved. Much of what I saw emphasized in Christian school seemed to breed either a lukewarm faith or hypocritical dichotomy.

Another tendency with Christian schools (or with Sunday Schools) can be that the parents abdicate their responsibility to teach their children about God to someone else.

I don't want to judge all Christian schools by the one I attended, but I've heard of similiar experiences from those who attended other Christian schools.

While public schools could attempt to teach your children evolution or acceptance of sinful lifestyles, christian schools can convey subtle distortions of Christianity.

I guess I'd choose public schools over Christian schools for that matter.

Counterpoint : Why choose either? Homeschooling eliminates the problems with both.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:11 pm

Schoel, your experiences are similar to what I had...I guess my situation wasn't as unique as I thought. :roll:

Someone upthread said something about differences in temperment or learning style causing problems for the child, but those are easy to overcome. Again, if I had it to do over and my situation permitted, I would homeschool.
Reason:

_Brad

Post by _Brad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:07 am

Paidion wrote:In today's world, many couples find it necessary for both of them to be income earners. So who will home school their children?
As Steve has pointed out (and I wholeheartedly agree), this is a serious problem. Why do couples find it necessary to have dual incomes? Is the cost of living higher than a generation or two ago? No; in fact the price index of necessities is lower for various reasons, but the generally accepted idea of necessities has changed. Who can possibly survive w/o:
  • A cell phone
    High speed Internet
    Air conditioning in the home
    Cable or Satellite television
    A late model car
I don't think this should ever be a reason for a wife to choose public schools.

Having said that, I send my son (and plan to send my daughter) to a public school. I do this because, quite frankly, my wife is just not up to the task of educating our kids. Even with a curriculum provided I don't think she has the discipline or organization. The school my son attends is a fantastic "charter" school run by mostly Christians with an excellent curriculum and philosophy.

However, my wife might be up to the task in the future (my son just started kindergarten).
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 pm

Brad,
I do this because, quite frankly, my wife is just not up to the task of educating our kids. Even with a curriculum provided I don't think she has the discipline or organization.
How did you and your wife assess that she isn't up to the task of homeschooling?

ps. Good to hear from a brother in Denver.
Reason:

_Brad

Post by _Brad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:30 am

schoel wrote: How did you and your wife assess that she isn't up to the task of homeschooling?
Well, we didn't really - I did. Whenever she broached the subject and I told her what I thought, however, she didn't disagree.
She's just not very disciplined or at all organized. She is getting better, though...
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”