Debating our differences

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Mon May 22, 2006 4:36 pm

BTW -
I'd like to compliment mort_coyle and Ely on the charitable discussion in the Eschatology forum.
Not only is it interesting and educational, they are sticking to the text of Scripture and avoiding ad-hominem attacks.

Kudos.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Ely

Post by _Ely » Mon May 22, 2006 6:16 pm

Wow, reading through this was quite convincting. Thanks folks

btw Shoel, my discussion with mort has just taken an ugly turn:
Mort, you're an anti-semetic heretic - pure and simple
I was jesting of course :)

Ely
Reason:
"Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus" Titus 2:13
www.lasttrumpet.com
www.pfrs.org

_JD

Post by _JD » Mon May 22, 2006 6:29 pm

I think that sometimes a good "working up" springs from the belief that ideas have consequences. So, not all debates, even heated ones, are borne from pride.

Proudy submitted,

JD
Reason:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Mon May 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Is list-making a spiritual gift?
Doesn't that fall under the gift of administration? :)
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_AARONDISNEY

Post by _AARONDISNEY » Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 pm

JD wrote:I think that sometimes a good "working up" springs from the belief that ideas have consequences. So, not all debates, even heated ones, are borne from pride.

Proudy submitted,

JD
Wow I just found some common ground for us, JD!! I totally agree!!

But really and truly, I have been guilty on here of letting my emotions get the best of me. I have learned a lot about the different directions people come from on different issues and I hope to never veer off into any other tirades.

I am thankful for all of you. You have helped me better understand certain Biblical ideas and in our disagreements I come to better conclusions of my own ideas and I have discovered things that I no longer take for granted. Such as the 7 churches in Revelation being about 7 church ages (which is nowhere indicated).

See, Steve, I don't totally dismiss all your eschatological perceptions!! :D

Aaron
Reason:

_JD

Post by _JD » Mon May 22, 2006 7:56 pm

How dare you agree with me, Aaron! Be thou smited, oh watcher of the Stooges!

Blessings, man.

Schoel, as to how to avoid meaningless flare-ups, I try to remember that I see in a mirror dimly. I'm confident in what I believe, but know that I don't have it all down yet, and there is coming a day of correction for all of us. Hopefully, the spirit in which I was wrong will still be commendable to Jesus.

JD
Reason:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

_AARONDISNEY

Post by _AARONDISNEY » Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 pm

JD wrote:How dare you agree with me, Aaron! Be thou smited, oh watcher of the Stooges!

Blessings, man.

Schoel, as to how to avoid meaningless flare-ups, I try to remember that I see in a mirror dimly. I'm confident in what I believe, but know that I don't have it all down yet, and there is coming a day of correction for all of us. Hopefully, the spirit in which I was wrong will still be commendable to Jesus.

JD
Hey, JD

Me being the mature Christian I am - I promise not to tell you "I told you so" when we get to heaven, or if I don't see ya right away, I promise not to tell you "I told ya so" when we get into the millenial Kingdom!!
:wink:

Later on bro,
Aaron
Reason:

_Homer

Post by _Homer » Mon May 22, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Schoel said: "...do we place too much emphasis on the knowing instead of the doing?"

Yes we do. It is a common failure of man, also in the secular part of life. I worked for many years in various management positions with a major corporation. Time after time we were trained in this program and that, at great cost in time and money, and time after time we didn't implement much of what we had learned before moving on to another "program of the month".

I think the discussion here is of great value. As Steve tells listeners to his program, there is nothing to be gained by calling in just to agree with him. How is anything learned by that?

We are to "test all things, and hold on to that which is good". I know of no better place to do that than here. It is certainly better than studying by yourself or with a group of like-minded people who view everything through the same paradigm! Here, we are challenged to dig into the word and meditate on things, and "do our homework".

For the most part, I think the tone of the discussion has been very good. I certainly hope I have not come across as arrogant, unkind, disrespectful, or not as Christ would have me speak in every way.

Blessings, Homer
Reason:
A Berean

Return to “General Questions”