Memories in Heaven?

__id_1092

Memories in Heaven?

Post by __id_1092 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:57 pm

After you die and go to Heaven, do you think you will remember your life on earth? If so how much? Will you only remember the good things and forget the bad things? Or will you have no memory of your life on earth?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed May 02, 2007 3:07 pm

i remember a quote from leonard ravenhill-- he said something to the effect that if God gives you a job to do on earth and you dont do it, there will be somebody else in heaven wearing a crown that was intended for you and that a hundred million years from now you will be still be grieving over it.

i dont know whether that's accurate but it always stuck with me.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Wed May 02, 2007 4:58 pm

After you die and go to Heaven, do you think you will remember your life on earth? If so how much? Will you only remember the good things and forget the bad things? Or will you have no memory of your life on earth?
I can't think of any biblical reason that we won't remember everything.

i remember a quote from leonard ravenhill-- he said something to the effect that if God gives you a job to do on earth and you dont do it, there will be somebody else in heaven wearing a crown that was intended for you and that a hundred million years from now you will be still be grieving over it.

i dont know whether that's accurate but it always stuck with me.
I love Leonard Ravenhill, and love his sermons and books, but he had some things backward in my opinion. I feel that often in his sermons, in his zeal to preach holiness, (which is a good thing!), he often resorted to unbiblical notions. Perhaps this is because he was more of a revival type preacher than an expositor, which is ok. He was certainly a great preacher and a great man of God!

I am not sure how it can be shown biblically that the saved will be grieving over anything for all of eternity. Rather, just the opposite. I think that should this person recieve the crown intended for us, we will rejoice in God's perfect justice.

Just a thought..

God bless,
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:7

_TK

Post by _TK » Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 pm

good call, derek, i agree. LR was a powerful speaker, and sometimes he said things for effect. the above example is probably one of those statements.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

__id_1092

Post by __id_1092 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:31 pm

my friends say that because there is no sorrow and no tears in Heaven then we could not remember bad things from our life.
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Wed May 02, 2007 6:03 pm

mbeckg wrote:my friends say that because there is no sorrow and no tears in Heaven then we could not remember bad things from our life.
Well, if we could see God's purposes, which He may reveal to us, we will rejoice in the trials that we've had. At least that's what I think.

Unfortunatly, anything that goes beyond what the bible states about these things is speculation.

We won't have a "sin nature" anymore, due to having glorified bodies. We will be like Jesus. I am not sure how God could do away with our memories without doing damage to our personalities, which I think are part of our souls, and left intact, (sans sinful inclinations).

God bless,
Derek
Reason:
Derek

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Thu May 03, 2007 6:19 pm

:) I am so glad that the former things will be remembered no more...
Also, that no sorrow, pain or weeping...All shall become new.

How awful it would be to not see a child/loved one in heaven.
The Lord promises no tears or sorrow.....All passed away and
behold I make all things new..

Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return and come with singing unto Zion, and everlasting JOY shall be upon their head..... :lol:

I do wonder what we will recognize.....
Reason:

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Thu May 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Glad Ravenhill said that and not GOD...
Reason:

_Derek

Post by _Derek » Thu May 03, 2007 10:26 pm

MLH wrote::) I am so glad that the former things will be remembered no more...
Also, that no sorrow, pain or weeping...All shall become new.

How awful it would be to not see a child/loved one in heaven.
The Lord promises no tears or sorrow.....All passed away and
behold I make all things new..

Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return and come with singing unto Zion, and everlasting JOY shall be upon their head..... :lol:

I do wonder what we will recognize.....
If God wipes out our memory, what be will be left of our personality?

Our past experiences, good and bad, shape who we are. Why would God wipe away our memories of them? Could it not be that God would rather reveal how He used all of those situations (many of which He may have put us in Himself), for our character, and His glory? We would surely rejoice in His perfect justice and wisdom. No need to wipe out our memories.

As for the "former things being remembered no more" I think that this is not referencing the memories of our lives, but rather God's memory of our sins.

Isa 65:16 That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes.
Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

This is God speaking about Himself, as far as I can tell, and not us.

God bless!
Reason:
Derek

_MLH

Post by _MLH » Sat May 05, 2007 12:34 am

I would like to hear any comments Steve G. may have about this subject.

We will have a body like his...I dont know about you Derek, but my life has been a real challenge and I can only hope I wont remember much.
Reason:

Return to “General Questions”