Reconciling the "God of the OT" with Jesus.

_anothersteve

Post by _anothersteve » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:14 pm

Please recall how Jesus dealt with the case of the woman caught in adultery. Then ask yourself whether He would have done what Yahweh supposedly did in the following account. And bear in mind this was not what was done to a woman caught in adultery. Any woman suspected by her husband of committing adultery, due to a fit of jealousy on his part, was made to drink polluted, bacteria-filled water as a test of her faithfulness:
Paidion, I don't want to divert from your main point but I just wanted to point out that this example from the OT was from, what I have categorized in my mind, God's civil law....you know, how to get along if such and such happens. For example, what do you do if you neighbor's cattle walks onto your land etc..etc... The "adultery test" was to be given to deal with a civil matter between a husband and wife. Therefore Jesus would not have used it in the John 8 scenario....but more important I still understand the main point you're trying to make.

Steve

PS...Since you are a former teacher, some of our sentence structure must drive you crazy! :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:39 am

The Jews in the OT were under a theocratic government as were their enemies; it was a matter of national survival. Seen in this light, the "OT God" did nothing wrong, imo. Modern concepts of democracy and equal rights (good though they may be) just were'nt reality in OT times. Back then it was "one nation's God(s) vs. another nation's God(s)"; there was no separation of the sacred and secular. Though the destruction of the enemies of Israel seems so unusually cruel to us today (and war is never pretty); God was operating within normal wartime conventions of the time (He always does things within the actual historical realities of any given time). Had not God preserved His chosen people, the Jews, we would never have heard of them...or of Jesus Christ....

Today and ever since the Ascension of Christ, the Kingdom of God is no longer a political national-military entity. As Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." He reigns over His People from heaven as the Kingdom of God spreads throughout all nations.
Just some imo's,
Rick
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

Return to “General Questions”