Books

_JD

Post by _JD » Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 pm

Should we do a thread in Teachers, Authors, and Movements?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Thu May 25, 2006 2:33 pm

JD wrote:I think we'll just come over to your place and sit on your roof. Hey, uh, what's the weather like in Parker, from season to season? I saw that Denver was in the top 10 for both sunniest days, and most snow. Whoa.
Denver metro weather (Parker is a suburb of Denver) is one of the best kept secrets. Its not as bad as it sounds, but don't tell any more Californians. They keep moving here :wink:

Actually, if you and the family need anything while your here, consider my family your friends. I will send you contact information in a Private Message on this forum.

BTW, if this Denver discussion keeps up, we'll have to start a "Vacation" thread. :D
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Thu May 25, 2006 4:05 pm

"Blue Like Jazz" - That's another book I really enjoyed!

McLaren can be very challenging, but also very thought provoking. In fact,
oftentimes the characters in his books are very challenged with one another as they work through theological questions.

When I read "The Story We Find Ourselves In", I was actually moved to tears in places because the characters were experiencing things that I have experienced (such as getting in trouble with the church board for asking uncomfortable doctrinal questions).

I don't agree with all of McLaren's views, but that doesn't really seem to be his goal anyway. It's more that the questions are asked and the dialog occurs...
Reason:

_Christopher

Post by _Christopher » Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 am

I was actually moved to tears in places because the characters were experiencing things that I have experienced (such as getting in trouble with the church board for asking uncomfortable doctrinal questions).
Gee Mort, I've been told that only happens to rebellious backsliders....like me. :wink:
Reason:
"If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri May 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Which McLaren book do you recommend to start with?

What areas do you find you disagree with him on?
Reason:

_Mort_Coyle

Post by _Mort_Coyle » Fri May 26, 2006 2:52 pm

The first book I read by McLaren was "The Story We Find Ourselves In" and it's still my favorite by him. Although it's the second book in a trilogy, it stands on it's own.

His latest book, "The Secret Message of Jesus", is also very good.

McLaren challenges (in a gentle way) many of the "golden calves" of Western Evangelical Christianity. For example, he believes in evolution. He is an environmentalist. He asks some very provocative questions about the doctrine of eternal torment (aka Hell), particularly in his book "The Last Word (And The Word After That)".
Reason:

_JD

Post by _JD » Fri May 26, 2006 5:33 pm

I've read Church on the Other Side, A New Kind of Christian, and A Generous Orthodoxy by McClaren.

I think that last one is my favorite. He's a good guy - one with whom I disagree a lot, but who is challenging.

Schoel, for me, A Generous Orthodoxy would be a good place to dive into the McClaren controversies. It's seems to have gotten a lot of people lathered up.

JD
Reason:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:33 pm

"the pursuit of God" and "knowledge of the Holy" by Tozer
my utmost for his highest- oswald chambers
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

Return to “General Questions”