Greater Alton Church, IL

Quilter2

Greater Alton Church, IL

Post by Quilter2 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Steve spoke at this church in Alton, IL a year or so back before our family all arrived here. It is only 10 min. from our house. I have driven by it a couple of times but have not seen any cars there. The bldg. also needs some work. Are they still meeting there? Does anyone know when the meetings are?
Thanks
Paula

steve

Re: Greater Alton Church, IL

Post by steve » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 am

Hmmm. The building you drove by, is it a big concrete dome? That is where it was when I spoke there. They are a Church of Christ, and had a lot of people there when I was there. They might have moved. They have a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greater- ... 5008431346

The minister who invited and hosted me is a great guy named Allan Hamblin. His Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/allan.hamblin.9?fref=ts

Whether you are on Facebook or not, you should be able to visit the page.

Quilter2

Post by Quilter2 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 am

Ok, thanks Steve. I did not realize they are CofC. I didn't see anything on the front except the name and a quote of some kind. That looks like it; maybe I assumed the wrong time for meetings. I am on facebook but my privacy settings are pretty tight. Sometimes facebook messages get thru when nothing else does. I had a college professor who was Disciples of Christ; CofC is one group I have been thinking about visiting here. Maybe you and your wife will get back to Alton one of these days. We are 6 miles away. Blessings, Paula

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 am

Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ are fairly different—principally in that the former is a fairly liberal denomination. Church of Christ has good theology (by my standards—e.g., amillennial and non-Calvinistic), though, historically they have been a bit legalistic on the matter of baptism (in my opinion). I think many Churches of Christ are less legalistic these days, and I have never run into any that struck me as legalistic. Churches of Christ are usually cessationists (which I am not), and many do not use musical instruments (Greater Alton Church is such a one). If you visit there, and hear their singing, you will definitely believe that musical instruments would be superfluous. With your anabaptist background, you may already have a preference for a capella worship.

Return to “Miscellaneous”