focusedman

Post by focusedman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Last edited by focusedman on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Singalphile

Re: Your Wish is My Command

Post by Singalphile » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 pm

This appears to be something like The Secret, though I'm not at all familiar with that.

Did you write that? Do you agree with it or do you present it just for comment?

I think it takes a pretty good idea ("Be careful of your thoughts because they affect your emotions. Be careful of your emotions because they affect your decisions. Be careful of your decisions because they affect your actions. Be careful of your actions because they affect your habits. Be careful of your habits because they affect your destiny."), and goes much too far with it.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

focusedman

Post by focusedman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for the reply Singalphile! This is called the Law of attraction, it is something that I believe in and participate in everyday. It is one of the Universal laws. You can researched them yourself whenever you get a chance.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am

As Singalphile pointed out, this is the same as the Secret. It attributes to the universe the powers that the Bible attributes to God. It also makes man potentially sovereign, and in control of reality, whereas the Bible puts God in that position. The difference between this and Christianity is pretty much the same as the difference between magic and biblical miracles. It extrapolates from the fact that our thoughts change our own behavior to the conclusion that our thoughts change the universe.

The argument starts out invoking the credibility of science—"Everything is vibrations"—and extrapolates to bizarre metaphysical conclusions about such unscientific notions as implanting beliefs into the subconscious mind, sending messages to the vibrationally responsive universe, becoming magnetized, creating realities, etc. It's first mistake is the assumption of physicalist premises that thoughts are merely vibrations comparable to other vibrations caused by the electrical pulsation of atomic energy. That's one guess, if you wish to rule out the spiritual realm of nonphysical reality.

The original post is a good exhibit of how many ways the verses of scripture, when wrenched from their contexts, and applied opportunistically, can be employed in the support of notions just the opposite of those taught in scripture. An excellent case for the need to study scripture exegetically.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

steve wrote:As Singalphile pointed out, this is the same as the Secret. It attributes to the universe the powers that the Bible attributes to God. It also makes man potentially sovereign, and in control of reality, whereas the Bible puts God in that position. The difference between this and Christianity is pretty much the same as the difference between magic and biblical miracles. It extrapolates from the fact that our thoughts change our own behavior to the conclusion that our thoughts change the universe.

Very good summary, Steve, thank you.

focusedman

Post by focusedman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm

Last edited by focusedman on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I would call this new age. I personally would rather read my bible right before I sleep.

I do believe that energy once created cannot be destroyed, which we are and which lines up perfectly with the Word.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Focusedman,

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but you may have inadvertently stumbled into a biblical discussion group. Almost everyone here is a Christian believer. We welcome discussion with non-Christians, but the kind of people you will find here are pretty much committed to the authority of the scriptures. I doubt if anyone here is going to take your New Age philosophies very seriously, since it isn't backed-up with any authority, and the few scriptures appealed to are taken entirely out of their context. Feel free, though, to interact.

focusedman

Post by focusedman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Focusedman,
I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but you may have inadvertently stumbled into a biblical discussion group. Almost everyone here is a Christian believer. We welcome discussion with non-Christians, but the kind of people you will find here are pretty much committed to the authority of the scriptures. I doubt if anyone here is going to take your New Age philosophies very seriously, since it isn't backed-up with any authority, and the few scriptures appealed to are taken entirely out of their context. Feel free, though, to interact.
Thanks for the feedback, first of all let me say that what I post here is very biblical, and even referenced by scripture. If you believe that it's taken scripture out of context, doesn't necessarily make it true and is likely because you don't understand it. (I highly doubt if anyone knows everything about the bible). Second, I'm only offering my opinion and no one is obligated to follow my opinion. Third what I posted here has the "authority" of scripture and for you to say that it has no authority is because you are neglecting the scriptures I quoted. Just because you look and probably smell like a dog doesn't make you an animal. You are a spirit and are in the same class as God with the same likeness.There are topics here ranging from UFO's to Extraterrestrial life forms to various other topics that I believe are very much non-biblical, but I guess that is ok. I'm not sure what the reference you made about non-Christians referred to but I’m very much a Christian and if anyone questions that, I'll have to question whether they really know God or they are just religious with knowledge of boring theological information. Since you gave your opinion about my posts, I would like to give you one of mine. Your audios ranging from eschatology to posts about unbelief is very boring like a theological cemetery and comes across as only having knowledge about the subjects, but lack any real creativity and lifeless. Have a great day! :D
Last edited by focusedman on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Singalphile

Re: ***

Post by Singalphile » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Well, I was going to ask what it is that he imagines during his meditation time (I don't remember what it's called), and how that relates to his prayer time.

Some interesting perspectives lately.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Miscellaneous”