My pastor is a Freemason

brody196

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by brody196 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:37 am

I have been attending my local Methodist church for several years now and have come to respect the pastor as a good friend. I dont agree with everything he teaches, but find him to be a very pleasant soul.

This morning I noticed he was wearing a Masonic Lodge ring, so I asked him about it and to my surprise he is a 32nd degree Mason. I have read a lot of material on Masonry and do not find it compatable with Christian teaching. I want to talk to him about it, but just dont know how to approach it. Any advice?

Singalphile

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Singalphile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am

I'd be glad to have the chance to learn about it directly from someone who is a known, respected Christian with firsthand knowledge. If he's a friend, then I'd just ask him about it, his experiences and how they square with what you've read.

Myself, I don't see how Masonic membership is different from being a "member" of Groupon, CostCo, a sports club, or a particular employer, or even a local church group. They all have their privacy and/or license agreements and rules/terms of service or membership. One could perhaps rightly argue that membership in such groups is a worldly distraction, I think.

I would be interested to hear about whatever you do learn, if you want to share.

I've never had any particular interest in Masonry but... maybe there's an old Mason thread around here.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Singalphile, being a freemason is MUCH different from being a member of a club, or even any other lodge. It is incompatible with Christianity. Do an internet search, and find out why Christians avoid it, and why the Catholic Church condemns it.

brody196

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by brody196 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 pm

I agree with Paidon. Freemasonry just isn't compatible with Christianity. There is a ton of info about Masonry out there, and there are also apologist that defend the lodge as a "non religious" org. There are many problems with the notion that Masonry isn't religious, as they have rituals, speak of "morality", references to deity's, etc. I love the guy and do not want to offend him. I'm just not sure on how to approach him. I will definitely be praying about it.

Singalphile

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Singalphile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Okay. There is a Masonry thread here. I can read more and post there if necessary. But I despise grand conspiracy theories. If I sense any of that, I'll quickly lose interest.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

mattrose

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by mattrose » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 pm

I would be concerned (as I've read on the subject too)... and I'd talk to the pastor about it, for sure.

That being said, I think it is very possible that different local lodges vary greatly. There are surely some masonic lodges that are basically a false religion. There may be others that are basically just clubs.

Perry

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Perry » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:46 pm

brody196 wrote:I love the guy and do not want to offend him. I'm just not sure on how to approach him. I will definitely be praying about it.
Hi Brody,
I think that, in a way, you have answered your own question here. The correct way to approach him is in love. If you have concerns for someone that you love and care about, then make sure that he understands that it's that genuine concern that prompts your question. I don't think I'd go in, guns blazing, and say, "Masonry is incompatible with Christianity." Rather, go in saying something like, "My understanding of Masonry is that there is legitimate cause for a Christian to be concerned...." something along those lines.

You're already praying about it, so that's cool!

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

As an aside, I don't know that much about Masonry... and didn't know that my grandfather, with whom I was never close, was a free mason until his funeral. There were some rituals they performed at the funeral, but nothing that gave me the shivers.

Tychicus

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Tychicus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 am

Perhaps taking a close look at 1 Cor 8-10, the part about food offered to idols, might give some insight. It's not exactly the same set of issues, but maybe close enough to give some help.

Jepne

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by Jepne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Brody - Was Jesus bold as a lion? Did he do anything that was not based in love? Was Paul afraid of offending people?

Anyone who has gotten to the 32nd degree has made a lot of vows, taken on a lot of curses and bowed to pagan gods.
I don't think such a one would be concerned about losing your love and respect and membership in his church.

Get informed, and remember the Bible says, If you do the will of God you WILL be persecuted.

Do your homework and see if the Lord would have you just get yourself and your family out of there.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

brody196

My pastor is a Freemason

Post by brody196 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Jepne wrote:Brody - Was Jesus bold as a lion? Did he do anything that was not based in love? Was Paul afraid of offending people?

Anyone who has gotten to the 32nd degree has made a lot of vows, taken on a lot of curses and bowed to pagan gods.
I don't think such a one would be concerned about losing your love and respect and membership in his church.

Get informed, and remember the Bible says, If you do the will of God you WILL be persecuted.

Do your homework and see if the Lord would have you just get yourself and your family out of there.

To answer your questions: Yes, no, and no.

However, I don't think the situation is as clear cut as you seem to be implying. For instance, scripture has a lot to say about choosing our words wisely(Proverbs 15:1-Eph 4:29). I used to find it to be an honorable thing to offend folks while "preaching" and whatnot, but have since changed my tone. I'm not concerned about persecution, but would rather follow Paul's advice in Gal 6, where he says " if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted"...

Why would you think that I need to get my family out of the fellowship?
Last edited by brody196 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Miscellaneous”