Talents

_Anonymous

Talents

Post by _Anonymous » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:12 pm

I have been told on many occasions that God gives us talents (Abilities), but I can't find this in the scriptures. Can anyone help?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:41 pm

Try Romans 12:5-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:4-11.

Hope that helps...

Damon
Reason:

_Anonymous

Steve Gregg are you there? any Input?...

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:52 am

Guest-? wrote:
Damon wrote:Try Romans 12:5-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:4-11.

Hope that helps...

Damon
This I know, these are ministry gifts. Thank you. :D Let me try to explain more, I am speaking of talents as in a truck driver, doctor or a carpenter. I have been told that these are from God as well. how do they come to that conclusion? I am talking about a predestined Job, Task, Talent. In other words I haven't picked my profession it was established for me. Back to a Calvinistic thing. Frightening is'nt it.

Steve Gregg are you there? any Input?...
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:45 am

Hello Guest-?,

I do not think that there is any scripture that specifically supports the point you are asking about. Among the gifts, however, there are some, like "helping," "giving," "showing mercy," and "leading," which might involve a person's natural aptitudes or proclivities, but this is not so specific as to say that a certain person has the gift of being a truck driver, in my opinion.

Of course, we know that "every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights" (James 1:17), and Paul asks the Corinthians, "What makes you to differ from another? And what do you have that you have not received [as a bestowal from God]?" (1 Cor.4:7). This would, no doubt, apply also to whatever skills, aptitudes, strengths and opportunities as may fit us for some vocations and careers more than others would be fit for them, and may serve to give some idea of the kind of work God "cut you out for."

This is not the same thing, though, as saying that God has predestined you to work in a certain job, and that your working at a different job would be disobedient. Divine guidance may direct you specifically. Through providences, godly counsel, conscience, and outright direct revelation from God, you may indeed be directed into a specific field or a specific location.

Short of specific guidance, I think you should find and choose a career the same way that most people would do so, and, having found a lawful employment, to thank God that He has you there. However, God is full of surprises, so you will want to be open to career changes He may direct you to make in the course of your life.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

Talents

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Steve,

The scriptures you quoted (James 1:17 and 1 Corinthians 4:7) are of spiritual in nature not of Human talents. In James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Father of lights: the illumination of truth that does not waver (with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.). He is talking about Christian growth during trails and tests as in Joseph’s life. Joseph’s dreams were from God, Joseph’s talents were used by God, as in Paul’s ministry a wise Pharisees but was rebellious to God after a little shaking he saw the light and to his spiritual benefit he believed then also toward our benefit the scriptures. In 1 Corinthians 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? Paul is speaking of spiritual gifts in regards to the corruptness of the Corinthians. The Corinthians thought that some were better than others because of the spiritual gifts and tended to follow different teachers because some had specific gifts that almost certainly they were attracted to. Paul may have been speaking to a single person in 1 Corinthians 4:7 who was puffed up with spiritual pride, never the less it would stand for all of us as well. I do believe God is Sovereign in all things I just believe that his sovereignty is very large for our benefit. An example would be Pharaoh. Pharaoh had the chance to repent but decide not to. Ten plus tries as matter of fact, that was before his heart was harden. So then God (Sovereign Will) still used Pharaoh to His benefit for the things at hand.

Thank You

:?: Is there any other scripture that may shed some light on the subject :?:
Reason:

_CFChristian

Talents

Post by _CFChristian » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:49 pm

:idea: :arrow: By the way Talents are only money :mrgreen: in the Bible :roll:

Abilities might be the meaning you’re looking for.

:lol: Just havin Fun with the emoticons :shock:
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”