Prophets today?

jriccitelli

Re: Prophets today?

Post by jriccitelli » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Thank you for responding Michelle, I love responding to bible study discussion, this is part of my weekly study time, this certainly causes me to open my bible.
I said “Not him again” because Balaam’s name seems to pop up a lot since I spent over one whole year in a debate with my best friends brother over a book written by Douglas Del Tondo titled ‘Jesus words only’, the authors premise was that Paul (Saul of Tarsus) was a false prophet and that he is the one Jesus refers to as ‘Balaam’ in Rev. 2:14. This caused my friend to literally begin tearing many books out of his bible. The book is ‘very well’ written (By a So. California Lawyer!), but makes huge leaps of logic, creates fallacies, and contradicts its own premise, but has convinced people none the less.

Letting down our guard when it comes to what a ‘prophet’ or ‘prophecy’ is opening the door to ‘huge’ deception, and may I say I have observed that Mormons have a much more defined value and reservation to the meaning of prophecy than most Christians do today.
The modern charismatic redefining of ‘prophets’ begins to ‘hugely’ undermine the uniqueness, truth and profoundness of our true biblical prophets. The result and effect seems evident that some Christians I meet look upon the biblical prophets like they do their contemporary prophet friends, pastors and people on TV. They see the biblical prophets as just as whimsical, capricious, and ordinary as their charismatic friends.

Happy New Year, a happy Year is a Godly New Year!

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks, jriccitelli, I appreciate your instruction.
Last edited by Michelle on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TK

Post by TK » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:32 pm

From Wikipedia:
"In the New Testament, prophecy is referred to as one of the Spiritual gifts given by the indwelling Holy Spirit. From this, many Christians believe that the gift of prophecy is the supernatural ability to receive and convey a message from God. The purpose of the message may be to "edify, exhort and comfort" the members of the Church. In this context, not all prophecies contain predictions about the future. The Apostle Paul also teaches in First Corinthians that prophecy is for the benefit of the whole Church and not just the individual exercising the gift.[1 Cor. 14:22]

According to Walter Brueggemann, the task of prophetic (Christian) ministry is to nurture, nourish and evoke a consciousness and perception alternative to the consciousness and perception of the dominant culture."
Also- here is a link to an excellent article by Art Katz that talks about these issues:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/arti ... le&aid=395

TK

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks, TK. That was an informative article. I've bookmarked it to re-read later.

Jill

Post by Jill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

I find that Ezekiel is just as much as a Prophet, as John the Baptist, crying out the crimes of the day. Not of our day, but of the day in which he lived. And not of another political nor religious group in some millenial future day which does not yet exist, but man seems to have tendencies in himself, and in a self educated condition, and I can see my own group clearly in Matthew 23, though Matthew is not of my group, nor of my day.

That the masses of today and of my race might not live to the age of 125 very easily, I do not consider prophesy, but by many observations durring my life time. If people of another day and locality also find themselves in a similar condition, DO NOT WORSHIP ME.

NOTE: An older woman told the future to me about me for $50. (my bad). 3-5 years later ALL THREE NAMES and CONDITIONS manifested. This was amazing no doubt, but I find warnings of this in the book of Samuel to David. I am sorry that I, mearly for the sake of interest, had ever made an appointment or gave any money to a psycic, no matter how good. And she was not a prophet now was she. No. She wasnt. I liked her, but she was a psycic or a channeler or a tarot card reader, and not a man of God speaking in his own political-religious arena. I do not consider JFK a prophet, but miss his formality and that of his generation, very much.

heygeno

Post by heygeno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:45 pm

How do you guys see David Wilkerson ? Could he have been a prophet ?
Geno ( thanks for the info,steve...... :D )

steve

Post by steve » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Geno,

I believe that David Wilkerson was a true man of God. I believe, however, that he sometimes mistook his strongly-held feelings for a prophet word. His books, "The Vision," and "Set the Trumpet toThy Mouth," which came out in the 70s and the 80s, respectively, contained predictions (e.g., the opening sentence in the latter book, that America was about to be destroyed in a Thermonuclear holocaust) which did not hit their mark. In a taped sermon of his that I heard, in 1973, David saidd the Lord had spoken to him and told him to preach on nothing except the second coming from then on, because the event was so near. I believe he altered his opinion on this over the next 40 years. He once wrote that the showed him that Christian rock music was of the devil. Later, writing in Keith Green's "Last Days Newsletter," he said that the Lord showed him that Christian rock was not of the devil. As I said, David was a great Christian preacher, but I do not think his credentials are sufficient to call him a "prophet."

Steve

heygeno

Post by heygeno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks again, Steve .
I know many people thought of him as a modern day P.( I had no opinion ). trying to get a feel for the group.
Geno
Last edited by heygeno on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heygeno

Post by heygeno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 pm

PS....... I still aint sure if we have ever really seen anyone ( in an Old T. way ) qualify ..... is is possible ? Same with apostle. And healer. I have been puzzled by that for forever. Who would be able to judge the office ? Would "Prophet" even be necessary ? My think hurts. Geno

Jill

Post by Jill » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:18 pm

[quote="Jill"]I find that Ezekiel is just as much as a Prophet, as John the Baptist, crying out the crimes of the day. Not of our day, but of the day in which he lived. And not of another political nor religious group in some millenial future day which does not yet exist, but man seems to have tendencies in himself, and in a self educated condition, and I can see my own group clearly in Matthew 23, though Matthew is not of my group, nor of my day.

That the masses of today and of my race might not live to the age of 125 very easily, I do not consider prophesy, but by many observations durring my life time. If people of another day and locality also find themselves in a similar condition, DO NOT WORSHIP ME.

NOTE: An older woman told the future to me about me for $50. (my bad). 3-5 years later ALL THREE NAMES and CONDITIONS manifested. This was amazing no doubt, but I find warnings of this in the book of Samuel to David. I am sorry that I, mearly for the sake of interest, had ever made an appointment or gave any money to a psycic, no matter how good. And she was not a prophet now was she. No. She wasnt. I liked her, but she was a psycic or a channeler or a tarot card reader, and not a man of God speaking in his own political-religious arena. I do not consider JFK a prophet, but miss his formality and that of his generation, very much.[/quote]

[b]APOLOGIES[/b]: The "Psycic" or "Prophetess" prediction which a few years later was accurate to the point on three counts, turns out must have had contact with the close by ARGON INTERNATIONAL LABRATORIES (INEL. of SE Idaho), as many people and Iphone "texters" now do. On all three counts, a friend helped me see how these things are easily set up and answered by whom ever happens to be some sort of participant close by and entered into a data base. Fun, but embarrassing that I, all this time had believed its appearance, or in other words, that "true" Phsycic Phenomenon was actually real. It is so funny that it took this long to see how I had been "taken in". Embarrassing no doubt, but needed to let my friends at theos.org in on high tech capacities of non biblical, regular normal people, just having a good time at the simpleminded's expense.

(sorry for the interuption on this particular thread, but was a new and incredible finding.) Psycic. Prophetess. Seer. etc.

..."preach nothing save REPENTENCE to this generation" KJV ref pending... And, as of Jonah: no "end of the world" at that time for those folks, thanks to Jonah; whereas Noah found that the earth, thank heavens, still existed, though afloat.

Return to “Miscellaneous”