Is Homosexuality a birth defect?

RICHinCHRIST

Is Homosexuality a birth defect?

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:57 pm

I was recently conversing with a non-Christian uncle of mine about homosexuality. He mentioned that same-sex attraction came from an abnormally sized gland in the brain. I did some research and found the following article (http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/gay-br ... th-defect/)

Here's a quote from the article:
What makes people gay? Biologists may never get a complete answer to that question, but researchers in Sweden have found one more sign that the answer lies in the structure of the brain. Scientists at the Karolinska Institute studied brain scans of 90 gay and straight men and women, and found that the size of the two symmetrical halves of the brains of gay men more closely resembled those of straight women than they did straight men. In heterosexual women, the two halves of the brain are more or less the same size. In heterosexual men, the right hemisphere is slightly larger. Scans of the brains of gay men in the study, however, showed that their hemispheres were relatively symmetrical, like those of straight women, while the brains of homosexual women were asymmetrical like those of straight men. The number of nerves connecting the two sides of the brains of gay men were also more like the number in heterosexual women than in straight men.
In the future, if this is without a doubt proven, what type of impact can it have on the Christian teaching of sexual morality? I myself have never once experienced any same sex attraction to other men. I don't know why, but it has never been a temptation for me. However, for gay people, it seems preposterous for them to even consider the possibility of celibacy or heterosexuality due to the intenseness of the temptation towards a homosexual lifestyle. Same sex attraction just comes natural for them. If this is truly a brain defect, merely a genetic predisposition, what kind of impact can that have on God's judgment of homosexuality? They must still have a choice, of course, but it seems that God would be more sympathetic toward someone who has no control over their attractions. They can't be judged for their attraction alone, but solely for their choice to abandon sexual purity and to pursue sin. Any thoughts?

TK

Re: Is Homosexuality a birth defect?

Post by TK » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:42 pm

I think this is an important topic, especially as we further unlock the "genetic code." For e.g., there is supposedly a genetic disposition toward alcoholism, and I recently brought up on another topic here that I have read that there may be a gene that predisposes a man toward pedophilia.

I suppose that as the genome is uncoded, we will find genes that make one person more susceptible to steal than another, or to be violent, or to commit adultery, or whatever. The questions is whether this excuses the behavior. The Bible treats sin as a moral issue and it also seems to teach that sin is a choice that we must not choose.

I don't know the answer to your question; If one accepts that God created people (and I do) we must also assume that He knew what He was doing; i.e. that He did not make mistakes.

I supposed "the fall" could account for certain anomalies.

I hope this topic generates some discussion because I am very interested in hearing what people have to say.

TK

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:11 pm

There is much disagreement between scientists, researchers, and the medical establishment as to whether homosexuality is biologically determined or influenced, or whether it is learned behaviour. Here is an article written by a medical doctor who provides considerable evidence that it is learned:

What causes homosexual desire?

However does that fact have any bearing whatever on whether or not homosexual acts can be judged as sin? Is homosexual practice more excusable if one is "born that way"?
After all, have we not all been born with a sinful disposition, biological because of the fall of Adam and Eve? Is our sin excused because of this propensity, because we "couldn't help doing it"? Since there is a strong correlation between early homosexual experience and homosexual desire resulting in homosexual acts, does this fact not make these acts just as "excusable" as they would be if there were a biological link? After all they couldn't help it if a homosexual seduced them or forced them when they were teens.

If we are looking for excuses, we could all claim the biological "cause" of our behaviour. A promiscuous heterosexual could say, "I just can't help myself. That's the way God made me."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:56 pm

By the same author:

MEDICAL CONSEQUENCES
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:44 pm

There is much debate about whether it is biological or learned, this is true. What I was saying was that IF it was proven to be biological, without a doubt, there must be some reason for this. TK, I agree it could have been the fall... but there is one passage that makes me think that it could be something different.

There was a certain point in time where God "released" people into further uncleanness. Perversion was so rampant that God let the reigns loose and let people go on in their sin.

I've always wondered what Paul meant when he said "receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due". What exactly does that mean? Receiving what penalty? Disease? Perhaps early on in human history, when God released people to commit homosexuality freely without hindrance, those early sexual acts could have somehow altered the genetic code through sexually transmitted disease. Perhaps birth defects began in their early stages in human history and have continued to affect the human race. God obviously didn't create people this way, but it was a penalty that has affected humanity ever since. Just a thought.

I've heard of cases where young children were confused about their gender. Young boys who love pink, and to play with dolls... and young girls who are naturally masculine and tend to act more like boys. These kinds of things are apparent even before puberty... it just seems like it may be a birth defect.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Rich,

You've started an interesting discussion. I think that the idea that homosexuality might be a birth anomaly brings up a lot of questions and is thought provoking. I have no idea what the cause(s) are, but I have a question for you. You stated in the first post:
However, for gay people, it seems preposterous for them to even consider the possibility of celibacy or heterosexuality due to the intenseness of the temptation towards a homosexual lifestyle.
What makes it preposterous for a gay person to consider the possibility of celibacy?

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Michelle wrote: What makes it preposterous for a gay person to consider the possibility of celibacy?
I should have said, "it seems preposterous to them", not for them. My mistake. This is the case with heterosexuals as well. Celibacy is an other-worldly type of discipline that only a God-fearing individual would consider. I think if someone has a same-sex attraction they should remain celibate. I have heard of cases where homosexuals have come full circle and become heterosexual after getting saved, but I've also heard other testimonies from formerly gay Christians that they have no attraction for the opposite sex and physically cannot have a heterosexual relationship.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Yeah, I know a man who has no attraction to women, and is devoted to Christ, so he is celibate. For a follower of Christ, chastity is not preposterous.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Scientists at the Karolinska Institute studied brain scans of 90 gay and straight men and women, and found that the size of the two symmetrical halves of the brains of gay men more closely resembled those of straight women than they did straight men.
There are actually 2 interpretations of these findings.

1) It could be that the gay men studied always had brains more similar to straight women thus prompting homosexual tendencies

2) It could be that the gay men studied developed brains more similar to straight women because of their homosexual tendencies

After all, our brains are not simply a matter of DNA, but of our experiences and environment.

Take fingerprints, for example. Identical twins have the exact same DNA, but on close examination they do not have the same fingerprints. This is because of differences in environment (even before birth!).

BUT I also am willing to travel down your hypothetical scenario (to a world where homosexuality is proven to be linked with genetics). In such a world, I agree with above posters that this wouldn't change anything. We are all 'oriented' toward a sinful life. Similarly, we all need to confess that orientation to God and trust that He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If someone has a homosexual orientation and yet wants to follow Jesus Christ, they can simply not act on (lust or actually act) their orientation. Or, better yet, it may be that Jesus will deliver them from the fallen orientation entirely.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm

mattrose wrote: 2) It could be that the gay men studied developed brains more similar to straight women because of their homosexual tendencies

After all, our brains are not simply a matter of DNA, but of our experiences and environment.
Thanks for the comment, Matt. I think there is some validity to that. It sure would make a lot more sense (and be more conducive to the Christian message) that homosexual tendencies is a learned trait. I'll have to bring that up the next time I talk to my uncle.

Return to “Miscellaneous”