Does covenant theology apply to anabaptism?

Quilter2

Does covenant theology apply to anabaptism?

Post by Quilter2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 am

Hi Steve, Friends,
I have been working my way through the media files of previous programs, and am up to May 2009. Just listening to the Q&A programs is an education. I can't wait to start on the book studies! I always wanted to go to Bible School. Thanks Steve for all your labors for the Lord and to the brothers who taped, edited and processed the files.
The church we first attended when I was a child was an interesting mix of ex-baptists, presbyterians and methodists who were real believers who had left dying churches. They knew the Gospel, lived the life and did not fight over mode of baptism, calvinism or eschatology. Like several other people have said on the radio program, most of my years were subsequently spent in a dispensational church setting but over time I came to agree with most of Steve's views and to realize these fit very well with the church of my childhood.
We find ourselves in fellowship now for 11 yrs (members) + more years as visitors in a plain Mennonite church. The pastor is amil, arminian. Much of what he teaches is very close to what Steve does. My question is -- would traditional anabaptism (not the progressive, protestantized or charismatic modern versions) be considered within the varieties of covenant theology, albeit without the calvinism?
If so, why. If no, why?
Thanks
Praying about the LA station.
Paula

RICHinCHRIST

Re: Does covenant theology apply to anabaptism?

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Paula,

I'm glad you have found somewhere you and your family find suitable for your current spiritual needs. Fellowship is vital to our Christian walks...

In regards to your question, it seems as though elements of anabaptism and elements of covenant theology can overlap without any quandary. In fact, I notice that Steve Gregg's own theology has overlapping of both. Covenant theology focuses on Christ's faithfulness to fulfill God's promises to Israel and the remnant called the 'Church'. Anabaptism is a radical movement focused on a literal interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount (and of course much more). These two aspects of Christian doctrine are different peas in the pod of Christian theology.

I find great peace in reconciling different aspects of different people's views. It is a freeing thing to know we don't have to look at things in a black or white way. I like to take what is helpful and discard the rest in regards to whatever doctrine I hear.

Return to “Miscellaneous”