Use of the word "hell" in conversations

steve7150

Use of the word "hell" in conversations

Post by steve7150 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:10 am

My question is when someone says "what the hell" is that a blaspheme of God or a curse word or profanity or irreverant use of the word considering it is a serious word being used casually?
We are told to hallow God's name but "hell" is not a sacred word & using it could actually jog someone's memory that we are accountable to God yet it is a serious word often used casually.
What do you think, is it wrong to use it occassionally.

TK

Re: Use of the word "hell" in conversations

Post by TK » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:46 am

i don't think i have ever said "go to hell" to someone- i think that would be pretty nasty.. and i dont think i have said "what the hell"-- at least not often. I usually say "what the heck." it's interesting how phrases get started.. like "what in the hell is going on here?" I am not even sure what that means.

I will catch myself saying something is "hotter than hell fire" which probably isnt the most edifying thing to say.

TK

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Perhaps we should bear in mind that the English word "hell" in earlier times meant "hidden place". You can find this older meaning in many dictionaries. It is equivalent to the Greek word "ἀδης" (hades), which in fact has been translated as "hell" in the 1611 Authorized Version as well as modern translations. The Greek word in the NT is often used to mean "the grave" (definitely a hidden place). But it came to mean the place where "souls" reside after death ---- where the rich man and Lazarus were in Christ's parable. In the middle ages it was sometimes said that lovers were gone to seek a hell. They definitely needed a "hidden place". The act of drawing earth around potato plants in order to keep the potatoes from sunlight, was called "helling potatoes". Somehow, over the years, the expression was changed to "hilling potatoes".

An question such as "Where in the hell is my book?" probably originally meant, "Where in the hidden place is my book?" When you can't find something, it is definitely in a hidden place for you.

My mother and the sister who cared for me as a child, taught me not to use words such as "hell" and "damn", etc. in the common way that people do. So I still avoid using these words in regular speech. But I don't feel any aversion to others using them. I don't believe the use of such words is blasphemy unless combined with "God" or "Jesus". Even the words "Jesus Christ", as we all know, is blasphemous when used in anger, and not in praise.

Strictly speaking, the use of "hell" or "damn" are definitely profane (a word which means "common" as opposed to "holy" (set apart). But there are many words which are profane which are not considered to be "bad" words.

Actually, in my opinion, there are no intrinsically bad words. Words become "bad" when they are used in anger, or to put someone down. Almost any word can become "bad" when it comes into common usage in these ways.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm

That’s a good question, Steve 7150, and I appreciated your observations, TK & Paidion.

“Hell” is often used in odd ways, isn’t it. “What the (heck).” “A (heck) of a good time/game/ride/show, etc.” “(Heck) if I know.” “(Heck) to pay.”
I sometimes miss the mark, but I try to restrict saying “hell” to times when I’m referring to the actual place or subject, and avoid saying it when I’m not. Maybe it’s because I was raised being told hell is a curse word. Maybe casually using the word diminishes (in the mind of the speaker and hearer) the severity of its actual meaning.

Misusing “hell” doesn’t seem to me to be in the same ballpark as misusing God’s name.

Here are some verses that help me in my ongoing struggle to tame my tongue:

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (Ephesians 4:29)

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver. (Proverbs 25:11)

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. (Colossians 4:6)

Candlepower

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Are the substitutes any better? Or do they just sound better because they are more freely used by decent people?

"heck" for "hell"
"Sam Hill" for "hell"
"The Blazes" for "hell"
"darn" for "damn"
"frig" for "f--k"
"Jiminy Cricket" for "Jesus Christ"
"Holy Christopher" for "Holy Christ"
"holy smoke" for "holy hell"
"Cripes" for "Christ"
"Geez" for "Jesus"
"Jeepers Creepers" for "Jesus Christ"
"Gol darn" for "God damn"
"Dagnab it" for "God damn it"

Plus hundreds of others!

As for me, I avoid the substitutes just as much as "the real thing".

When I was a child, I coined the word "blimpy" for my own private cuss word. When I was angry or disappointed, I exclaimed, "Oh blimpy!" Was it any better just because no one else used it or considered it as a "bad" word? I don't think so. As I see it, it's not the word, but the context in which the word is used --- in anger or disappointment or other negative frame of mind.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Here's another one with an interesting personal story behind it. The expression is, "Dad Burn it," which I think is probably a minced oath expressing one's desire for God to damn something. My mother says that when she was a child, she used that expression loudly enough for her grandfather (rocking on the porch) to hear. He called her over and touched a burning match (it may have been a cigar, cigarette, or pipe, I don't exactly recall -- but it was something hot) momentarily to her finger, and then told her never to take the Lord's name in vain again. While I don't agree with my great-grandfather's means, I understand his motive. And I do have a wonderful mother who loves Jesus.

Paidion said
As I see it, it's not the word, but the context in which the word is used --- in anger or disappointment or other negative frame of mind.
I agree. As is so often the case, it is the heart that matters. "...out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." (Matthew 12:34)

Candlepower

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks everyone for your insightful responses!

IsaacJ

Post by IsaacJ » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Interesting discussion, i actually have a good story to go with it.

I used to work in an office building with (understandably) a whole lot of worldly people. I've been raised to speak above reproach but a lot of my friends were getting into this "I can use profanity and be a Christian 'cause I'm not a legalist" phase so I thought I'd try out as well. One day I was around a few co-workers and said 'what the hell!' To my surprise one of the girls pulled me aside (she was literally one of the most worldly people there) and said 'Please don't talk like that! Don't become like us, we can tell there's something different about you.' I know that sounds like a Christian skit or something but I'm not making it up. It shocked me.

Here I was being rebuked by a pro-sinner for sliding their way. All that to say, I think it's important to remember the world is watching us. Even if we can find some way to justify things the world notes the difference in the way we talk. Even if my heart is right in what I'm doing, I don't want to dim my light or water down my salt to the world. I've often felt challenged by the Lord that when I'm dealing with a grey issue I can lean more towards love and holiness or more towards getting what I want and following the pattern of the world. I hope I always lean His way.

Candlepower

Post by Candlepower » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:09 pm

IsaacJ,

Interesting experience. Good points. Well said.

Candlepower

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Here I was being rebuked by a pro-sinner for sliding their way. All that to say, I think it's important to remember the world is watching us. Even if we can find some way to justify things the world notes the difference in the way we talk. Even if my heart is right in what I'm doing, I don't want to dim my light or water down my salt to the world. I've often felt challenged by the Lord that when I'm dealing with a grey issue I can lean more towards love and holiness or more towards getting what I want and following the pattern of the world. I hope I always lean His way.

Thanks that's a great point!

Return to “Miscellaneous”