In Jesus' Name...But What Is It?

_Anonymous

In Jesus' Name...But What Is It?

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:38 pm

Hi, could somenone learned answer this question (it might be trivial)?

The original hebrew name for Jesus was Y'Shua pronounced (yea*shua)
Which does not translate through to English as Jesus, I think his name wouldve had to be Yoshi for it to turn into that Jesus. In any case Y'shua quite simply translates into Joshua for English. I was wondering why people to this day have not called him that since the translation occurred (KJV?) Was it a simple linguistic fluke?
Or were there reasons, Biblical, political, or whatever.

Are there any little religious sects that call Him Joshua?

It doesnt really matter since everyone all over the world calls Him something different. But I'd like to know out of curiousity.

Thank You.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:58 am

Good question. I'm wondering the same thing.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:44 pm

We call Him "Jesus" because that is the English transliteration of the Greek form of His name, which is the form in which it appears in the Greek New Testament. The English translations of the Bible worked from the form of the name they found in the Greek New Testament that they were translating.

To call Him by the Hebrew form of His name (or the Spanish, or Chinese or Swahili forms) would make no difference, if those were the languages a person was speaking generally. There can be no irreverence in translating His name from the original Aramaic to its equivalent in whatever language is being spoken by a certain group, since the writers of the New Testament themselves translated it from the Hebrew "Y'SHUA" (Joshua) to the Greek "iesous" (Jesus).

There are indeed groups today who insist on using the more Hebraic form of the name, which also is no irreverence. Unfortunately, these groups are often critical of those who use any alternative form of the name, as if the importance and authority that are associated with "the Name of Jesus" somehow inhere in the precise selection of syllables spoken, rather than in the divine character of the name's Possessor. This seems wrong-headed and legalistic to me.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Priestly1

Y'shua, Joshua, Haysoos, Jezus.

Post by _Priestly1 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:10 pm

We in the west owe "Jesus" from our Latin Church heritage. IESVS is Latin, and pronounced "Hezous". In short it is "Jesu"..Yesou. This is of course a Latinized transliteration of the Greek "Iesou"...which is a Greek transliteration of the Aramaic/Hebrew "Yeshua". The Latins and Greeks had no "Y" sound or a "Sh" sound...so Hesou is as close as you come. the final s is a Masculine ending. So our Jesus should be Jesu....our J can sound like a Y also....thus we can have Yesou also.
Joshua and Jeshua are better English transliterations, but Y'shua is the best...though it sounds very odd to us. In My Church Jesus, Yeshua and Y'shu are all synonyms we use...no problems. We use the Aramaic Bible (Peshitta) and Liturgy still, but we use any language we come into contact with and need to express the Love of God and the Revelation of His Word.
To be picky as to how you say the Master's first Name is silly at best...pride filled at worst.

In Maran Y'shu b'Mshikha (Our Lord Jesus Christ),
+Ken Huffman
Reason:

_Psalmist

Post by _Psalmist » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:09 pm

I generally say Yeshua and am part of a congregation that practices a Hebraic form of worship. I have also encountered those who denounce the name "Jesus" and sometimes even insist it is of pagan origin. This, of course, is nonsense. Probably the best defense of the name Jesus is the use of "Iesous" in the Greek Septuagint (in Greek letters, of course) by learned Hebrew rabbis long before the Messiah was ever born. If it was pagan or in any way improper, it would not have appeared in the Greek translation of the sacred Torah.

Blessings,
-larry
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”