wisdom

_glow

wisdom

Post by _glow » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:41 am

I have a question. Why does the bible /Gods word refer to Wisdom as "she" in so many scriptures ?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:22 am

This phenomenon is found, primarily, in the book of Proverbs. When we seek a reason for Solomon's choice of personifying wisdom as a female, rather than as a male, more than one reason may suggest itself.

On the one hand, using the female gender as a characterization of certain non-personal entities—e.g., ships, hurricanes (until recently), "the motherland," "Mother Nature," etc.—has been in vogue for centuries. Solomon's use of this same convention to depict wisdom only strikes us as strange if a) we think of women as less wise than men, and therefore as less fitting as representatives of wisdom itself, or b) we think that the Holy Spirit, in Proverbs, is really speaking of "Wisdom" as a pre-incarnate form of Christ Himself, in which case the feminine pronoun seems inappropriate.

This association of wisdom with Christ has led some (i.e., feminist theologians) to suggest that Christ, in relation to the Father, is the "female aspect" of the Godhead—since He is said to be our wisdom in 1 Cor.1:30, and since wisdom is personified as female.

My response to this suggestion would be that there is no evidence in Proverbs (or elsewhere in scripture) that Solomon or the Holy Spirit were seeking to depict Christ when discussing wisdom. Rather, wisdom is simply presented as an attribute of God, and is given a personified "speaking role" for creative literary purposes. Also, if Christ really WAS the "female aspect" of the Godhead, and we were expected to realize this, one must wonder why, in revealing Himself in incarnation, He was born male (which tends to obliterate any impression of Him being the female side of God).

I think the reason that Solomon depicts wisdom as a woman is that he is writing to his son, and seeking to communicate how desirable wisdom is as a companion to a young man. Female images are more likely to elicit this reaction in a guy. The book of Proverbs regularly depicts wisdom and folly as two very different kinds of women seeking the hearts of the sons of men. Wisdom stands in the streets calling out to men, saying that by choosing her, they will enjoy long life, health and prosperity as consequences of moral uprightness and the favor of God that are the product of a life lived in godly wisdom. Folly, like a harlot, also calls out to men, promising them cheap thrills with impunity, extolling the pleasures of illicit choices, and concealing the fact that her house leads to destruction and sheol.

Solomon's son, to whom the book was written, like any healthy young man, would find women attractive. Solomon hoped that his son would be as attracted to wisdom in his life as he would be to a lovely, gracious and well-spoken woman, and that he would be as repulsed by folly as he would be by a cheap, boisterous and bawdy prostitute offering herself to every fool that passes her door.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_glow

wisdom

Post by _glow » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:11 am

Thankyou Steve for your insight.

I had also assumed Solomon was trying to guide his son. I found it very interesting though , your comments and thoughts "if "Christ was a female Godhead so to speak how some things might have been different.. I would never even have thoght of that !

In reading this area of Proverbs I also wondered if the world picked up it's idea of a womans intuition from these scriptures. ("some" woman having Wisdom) I myself, have always aquaited wisdon with common sense. It takes alot of it to raise children and handle all the little daily events that keep threatening to disturb the peace of a household. A woman "usually" is in this position and sure needs alot of it to guide those in her care , sometimes at the drop of a hat.

Your words describing the character traits of two very different women was also very interesting. I suppose I personally hope we don't really look so black and white , I find us much more of a combination in one ( our inner workings of human vs spiritual fights we all have). Maybe it is the artist in me. that I like to see us more in color.

But once again, thankyou for your guidance .
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”