"The Enneagram: for Christians"

_Rick_C

"The Enneagram: for Christians"

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:02 pm

This isn't a Theological Topic, per se.
So why am I posting it (here)?

As an audio/sermons/lectures afficianado, I listen to a lot of teachers, preachers, panel discussions, debates, etc. In recent months I've come across talks from someone in the "emerging church movement" (can't remember who) and N.T. Wright; both mentioning they've "taken the enneagram." Wright, (and I think it may have been Doug Pagitt), said what "type" they were but I've forgotten.

Enneagram:
from two Greek words - ennea (nine) and grammos (something written or drawn).
(1) a nine pointed geometric figure.
(2) psychological testing used as an indicator of basic personality traits and/or styles: of individual strengths and weaknesses or assets/liabilities.

I've taken the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) test many times through the years, being introduced to it on the job in the Navy as a Neuro-Psychiatric Technician. I've consistently scored as the INTP personality type (Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceptive).

When I heard that N.T. Wright took the enneagram I was, like, "Wow, one of my fave theologians! Maybe I should take it too?" So I did. Why? I could give various explanations such as, "INTPs are constantly thinking about 'deep stuff' in their internal mental world."

But for this thread: N.T. Wright related the enneagram to his ministry, in terms of what he does best, how he goes about doing it and: What things he doesn't get done but would like to do, or is otherwise not naturally disposed to get done in terms of his personality. One example was how he would like to do more book reviews but hasn't made time for it due to being an extrovert, (not especially enjoying sitting around reading alone, much preferring being "out" giving lectures, and so on).

I have several links to free online enneagram tests and can post them here.
However, if you google "free enneagram test" you'll probably (easily) get the same ones I found. (Some are short, taking maybe 5 minutes, others take a tad longer).

From here: http://www.9types.com/cgi-bin/ennea/tal/test.cgi (a very basic types description).
The Nine Personality Types of the Enneagram
Type 1: The Reformer. The rational, idealistic type.
Type 2: The Helper. The caring, nurturing type.
Type 3: The Motivator. The adaptable, success-oriented type.
Type 4: The Artist. The intuitive, reserved type.
Type 5: The Thinker. The perceptive, cerebral type.
Type 6: The Skeptic. The committed, security-oriented type.
Type 7: The Generalist. The enthusiastic, productive type.
Type 8: The Leader. The powerful, aggressive type.
Type 9: The Peacemaker. The easygoing, accommodating type.
Other sites identify them slightly differently, e.g., :
Type 1: The Reformer.
Type 2: The Helper.
Type 3: The Achiever.
Type 4: The Individualist.
Type 5: The Investigator.
Type 6: The Loyalist.
Type 7: The Enthusiast.
Type 8: The Challenger.
Type 9: The Peacemaker.
Link: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp

(Btw, the number 5 guy's computer desk is more organized than mine, not kidding! and shopping malls have one, and only one, primary function: THE BOOK STORE)!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My scores: I've taken about 6 separate tests.
The longest and, therefore, possibly the most accurate test had me as a "5w4." The "w" = "wing" which is the secondary personality trait or orientation. So I rated as a: Thinker-Investigator with the secondary "wing" of Artist-Individualist. Another test scored me as a "5w6". I consistently had 5 as my primary (by far) with an exception where I rated a "1w9" on a shorter "quick" test: But the questions didn't seem "logical," lol.

What the enneagram is good for, imo.
It didn't tell me anything I didn't really already know. But it did point out areas I need to focus on. For example, as a Thinker-Investigator (which goes right along with INTP), I can tend to become so absorbed into my internal thought-world that I isolate from others. Iow, I need to put more effort into social interaction and what all can be involved: E.g., "my types" don't do much "small talk" (and often find it annoying and/or irrelevant) -- "deep stuff" is so much more important and interesting! On the Individualist-Artist "wing"-- I need to keep in mind that creativity and individuality doesn't make me "the odd man out"...or that I can "go it alone."

In short, "my Types" (Enneagram and/with Myers-Briggs) are good at critical and creative thinking, detached evaluation, perception, etc. We have things to offer others but have to make deliberate efforts to share them due to a "loner" tendency: (People are always saying I should teach a Sunday School class or something like that...but I don't regularly go to church or have a certain group of people I hang-out-with).

What's strange.
The very same people who say I "should be teaching" quite often also say they don't know what I'm talking about! or otherwise, don't appear to be all that interested? or have the intelligence to comprehend what I say? This strikes me as odd and I don't know what to do (unless they want to take the time and effort to Investigate?)....

The fact that I both feel and am "different" I should see as my God-given uniqueness -- not that I'm a "weird-oh recluse". (I can be perfectly contented reading and studying alone for like, weeks! see, The Mad Scientist). It's not a bad thing to study alone a lot, in and of itself. But being a Christian is about sharing, and so on....

A Type 5 Motto:
"I don't have to know everything" (but wouldn't mind)! :shock: :lol: :roll: :?: ... :wink:

Of the famous Type 5s (Einstein, Neitzsche, Lennon, etc.) the one I most relate to is "Fox Mulder" (actor David Dukovny, The X Files).....

Gtg check on a job! {"You need to get out more often, Rick!"}....
OK! {I really HAVE to in this case}!
Any thoughts or comments? Thanks :)
Last edited by _Rich on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Rick_C

Post by _Rick_C » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 pm

To talk about "you" here's a link to help you out (take a test & yack):
Eclectic Energies Enneagram Tests (free)

The "classical" one is the long version I wrote about, Thanks, :)
Last edited by _Rich on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
“In Jesus Christ God ordained life for man, but death for himself” -- Karl Barth

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:37 pm

I took two tests. The first scored me highest as "thinker" but also scored me almost as high for "reformer", "skeptic" and "leader".

However, the second and more detailed test was "thinker" all the way.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_Michelle

Post by _Michelle » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:09 pm

I took two of the tests (I have just a tad too much free time right now) and came out Type 9, the peacemaker, on both. I pretty much think that it's the loser category, except they say we create a calm atmosphere, which is nice, I suppose. At least we were mentioned in the beatitudes.

I think were supposed to say how this impacts us as a Christian, yeah? Well, Type 9s tend to go along with the flow in order to keep the peace. This may cause us to compromise, I think. So I should be vigilant not to give into that desire to keep the peace when I know my Christian principles might be the casualty.

Apparently we don't acknowledge negative emotions and they build up until they're uncontrollable and we explode. On the positive side, our storms are brief; on the negative side, our storms are completely unexpected by other people. I should probably work on that...
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:07 am

michelle wrote:
I think were supposed to say how this impacts us as a Christian, yeah? Well, Type 9s tend to go along with the flow in order to keep the peace. This may cause us to compromise, I think. So I should be vigilant not to give into that desire to keep the peace when I know my Christian principles might be the casualty.
very perceptive michelle- and it think this is indeed a problem with peacemakers (i havent taken the test yest, but i suspect that i might be a #9.

Rick- i always tested as an INTP as well- i wonder if i will have a similar outcome to yours on this test. we shall see.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Suzana

Post by _Suzana » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:33 am

I did just one of the tests, (from the link) and the results were unclear - I am most likely either a 2 or 9-
Helper/Reformer or Peacemaker/Reformer.

I feel pleased that I don't quite fit a pigeon-hole; that's probably a sign of something, but I'm too tired to try work it out, or do more tests.
Also I'm not sure if people can be, or should be, so neatly divided into categories.
Reason:
Sue

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:01 am

Also I'm not sure if people can be, or should be, so neatly divided into categories.
I agree. We think that if we put a person into a box (category), then we have a handle on the person. We think we know what he is. But that can be a serious mistake.

I think that this may sometimes be the motive even for asking a person what church he attends or belongs to. The one who asks often thinks he knows what that denomination or church teaches, and thus generalizes, thinking he knows what the person believes and practises. But most likely that information tells him very little, if anything, about that individual.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:47 pm

well, I agree with not putting people into a box.

but in case you want to, as expected I am a 9w1. (peacemaker with a reformer wing).

TK
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:10 pm

How do you get the wing? Which test?
Reason:
Paidion

_TK

Post by _TK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:13 pm

i went to the site noted in rick's 7:09 pm post. i took the longer test; when you are done it will give you your main score then your secondary "wing" score.

TK
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”