I Corinthians 15:28 and the divinity of Jesus

_kaufmannphillips

Post by _kaufmannphillips » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Hello, Paidion,

Thank you for your reply.
Again, it all depends upon what you mean by "Gods".

Genesis 1:26 sounds as if the Deity is composed of more than one divine Individual...
(aleph) In this case, then, you are employing "Deity" as we would "humanity" - an aggregate category?

(beth) Do you feel, then, that this is the diction Paul has in mind in I Corinthians?

(gymel) In any case, how does this affect the upshot of my query:
...what is the purpose of excluding a (putatively) complete sharer in divinity from the outworking of God being "all in all"? Does this not rob one "God" of that which is rightly his?

Shalom,
Emmet
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Quote:
Again, it all depends upon what you mean by "Gods".

Genesis 1:26 sounds as if the Deity is composed of more than one divine Individual...
(aleph) In this case, then, you are employing "Deity" as we would "humanity" - an aggregate category?
Yes.
(beth) Do you feel, then, that this is the diction Paul has in mind in I Corinthians?
In 1 Corinthians 15:28, "ho theos" with no qualifying words, is used, which invariably refers to the Father alone. So it is not Deity, but God the Father who will become "all in all".
(gymel) In any case, how does this affect the upshot of my query: Quote:
...what is the purpose of excluding a (putatively) complete sharer in divinity from the outworking of God being "all in all"?
The Son of God (the second God, if you will) was always submissive to the Father, was submissive to Him while on earth, and will be submissive to Him in the future. It is the paradigm of a father-son relationship as it was meant to be. By turning over the Kingdom to the Father that God (the Father) may be all in all, does not "exclude" the Son, "this complete sharer in divinity" from anything. It expresses His Sonship, His relationship with the Father as being always secondary to the Father in position, not in essence , that is, not in regards to His Deity.

An anology might be the ideal relationship between a husband and wife as God intended it, and as the apostle Paul expressed it (Wives submit yourselves to your husbands). In this relationship, the wife is secondary in position, but not in essence (her humanity).
Does this not rob one "God" of that which is rightly his?
In no way is God the Father robbed of anything. Nor is the Son of God robbed of anything. It's exactly what the Son wants.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_kaufmannphillips

reply to Paidion

Post by _kaufmannphillips » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:26 am

Hello, Paidion,

Thank you for your response.

kaufmannphillips: ...what is the purpose of excluding a (putatively) complete sharer in divinity from the outworking of God being "all in all"?

Paidion: The Son of God (the second God, if you will) was always submissive to the Father, was submissive to Him while on earth, and will be submissive to Him in the future. It is the paradigm of a father-son relationship as it was meant to be. By turning over the Kingdom to the Father that God (the Father) may be all in all, does not "exclude" the Son, "this complete sharer in divinity" from anything. It expresses His Sonship, His relationship with the Father as being always secondary to the Father in position, not in essence , that is, not in regards to His Deity.

An anology might be the ideal relationship between a husband and wife as God intended it, and as the apostle Paul expressed it (Wives submit yourselves to your husbands). In this relationship, the wife is secondary in position, but not in essence (her humanity).
Your answer is theologically clever. Yet, I am skeptical of the likelihood that cleverness leads to truth.

Your answer opens the door to a number of questions:

(aleph) Why is the one divine individual paradigmatically submissive to the other? Is it merely didactic, or is it actually pragmatic?

(beth) If didactic:

(alpha)If such a submissive relationship is so important as to involve the deference of one divine individual to another throughout all eternity, then why does this particular exemplar not emerge until many centuries into the thread of revelation? Should it not have been part-and-parcel of the revealed paradigm from the beginning?

(beta) Is it your position that fathers & sons and husbands & wives will remain in hierarchical relationships throughout eternity? If not, then what is the purpose of subjecting one divine individual to another throughout eternity, for the sake of relationships that are not eternally submissive?

(gamma) Then again, if submissive relationships are an eternal part of the social order, is it your position that this exemplar of submissive relationship will be eternally necessary? Will those who participate in the world to come have an everlasting need for such an object lesson? And if so, must such a need be met in the dynamics of divine interrelationship, and not simply in the example(s) of sanctified humans?

(gymel) If pragmatic:

(alpha) Shall we understand that there will eternally be a pragmatic need for one divine being to submit to the other? If so, what is the nature of this pragmatic need?

(beta) If it is a pragmatic matter of differing wills, are the divine individuals never to attain complete unity of will? Elsewise, why the eternal economy of submission?

(gamma) Then again, if it is a pragmatic matter of relative skill or fitness, on what basis is the one divine being ordered hierarchically over the other? Is the one divine being wiser or more gifted? And if so, will this relative condition remain eternally, so that the one divine being never attains parity with the other?

kaufmannphillips: Does this not rob one "God" of that which is rightly his?

Paidion: In no way is God the Father robbed of anything. Nor is the Son of God robbed of anything. It's exactly what the Son wants.
If this were so, then one might be forced to revise their understanding of divine character. One no longer could imagine that it is an essential aspect of divine character to be jealous, wishing to be first in people's hearts. One no longer could imagine that it is an essential aspect of divine character to be the ultimate ruler of creation. Actually, one no longer could imagine that it is an essential aspect of divine character to be the ultimate anything, insofar as one divine being would in all things be surpassed by the other, who alone is "all in all."

Such a submissiveness reaches far beyond the limited economies of father-son and husband-wife relationships, for neither fathers nor husbands have any basis to claim that they are "all in all," even within their paradigms.

Shalom,
Emmet
Reason:

_JC

Post by _JC » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:09 am

Emmet, I won't attempt to answer for Paidion since he's the best authority on his own opinion. I would, however, like to offer some thoughts on the overall issue that's being discussed. We don't know much about the angelic realm but it would seem that such beings are eternal (they don't seem to die or participate in the resurrection) and they have a distinct order. This seems to even be true of the fallen angelic realm. Perhaps this gives us a hint when it comes to the eternal order of submissive roles or hierarchies.

Resurrected human beings are not angels but Jesus said we would be like the angels, at least when it comes to marriage. So it would seem this Earthy hierarchy is not eternally maintained. However, I do believe there will be a hierarchy in the new creation, predicated by our obedience and love for one another in this present age. The scriptures even tell us the saints will judge angels. I'm not sure what that passage is referring to but it sounds hierarchical.

In my own opinion, and Paidion may disagree... the act of Jesus turning everything over to his father is symbolic. God wanted to redeem his creation from sin/death and give them life. His son accomplished this task and, in the end, says to his father, "I did what I had to do, Dad. Here's what I purchased for you. Enjoy." It would seem that love works most perfectly through submitting to another's will, whether symbolic or practical. God being "all in all" refers, I think, to God enjoying his creation and us sharing in that joy. Beyond this, I have no opinion. Is that enough disclaimers for you? :)
Reason:

Return to “Miscellaneous”