The Longest Known English Word

dwight92070

Re: The Longest Known English Word

Post by dwight92070 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Paidion wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 pm
Thanks Darin,

This seems to suggest that while most Americans say they believe in the Trinity, they don't actually understand the concept.
Dwight - I think the majority of the ones who do not understand the concept, do not have a "real" faith in Jesus, as you put it. You find these people in all churches. On the other hand, the majority of those who do have a "real" faith in Jesus, do understand the concept, because they have sought to understand it, at least as much as it can be understood. So, it's safe to say that most Christians accept the doctrine, and that the majority of those who do not accept it, are in cults, which leaves their claim of being a Christian, in doubt.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:24 am

Well... in my own case, I was with Trinitarian churches throughout my Christian life. First in Baptist churches, and later in assemblies of "Plymouth Brethren". As a young man, I attended a Bible school that was Trinitarian.

It was not through any association with a "cult" (I never had such an association), but through my personal studies of the New Testament, that I realized that the doctrine is not found there.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:41 pm

dwight92070 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:40 pm
Paidion wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 pm
Thanks Darin,

This seems to suggest that while most Americans say they believe in the Trinity, they don't actually understand the concept.
Dwight - I think the majority of the ones who do not understand the concept, do not have a "real" faith in Jesus, as you put it. You find these people in all churches. On the other hand, the majority of those who do have a "real" faith in Jesus, do understand the concept, because they have sought to understand it, at least as much as it can be understood. So, it's safe to say that most Christians accept the doctrine, and that the majority of those who do not accept it, are in cults, which leaves their claim of being a Christian, in doubt.
Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one -- I've been sensitive to this long enough that at least my experience almost none have any real idea what the Trinitarian doctrine holds beyond the most basic credal affirmation and that most preaching is inconsistent frequently with the underlying assumptions.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:23 am

Paidion wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:24 am
Well... in my own case, I was with Trinitarian churches throughout my Christian life. First in Baptist churches, and later in assemblies of "Plymouth Brethren". As a young man, I attended a Bible school that was Trinitarian.

It was not through any association with a "cult" (I never had such an association), but through my personal studies of the New Testament, that I realized that the doctrine is not found there.
Dwight - My background was similar. From a child, I was with my family in a Baptist church - Trinitarian for sure, but I don't ever remember the pastor or teacher discuss the Trinity, much less teach about it. However, I was not saved until I was 21, and then I went to Charismatic, non-denominational churches, which were Trinitarian. However, in these churches, I do remember some teaching on the Trinity, but not a lot. After getting saved, one of my first questions was: "Where does the Bible teach the Trinity?" I too, attended a Bible school, which was Trinitarian, but pretty much never taught on it. Also through my studies of the Old and the New Testament, I realized that the Trinity was, in fact a Biblical doctrine.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:42 am

darinhouston wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:41 pm

Dwight - Thankfully, an extensive knowledge of the Trinity is not necessary to be totally convinced that it is a Biblical fact - anymore than an extensive knowledge of salvation is necessary to be saved.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 am

Most 13 or 14 year old kids, could easily see, in the scripture, that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God, and the Father is God. Since there is only One God, then there has to be a true concept, which came to be called "the Trinity".

That would be an interesting experiment. Take a teenager, Christian or not, and ask them if they can find anywhere in the Bible (we should probably limit it to just the New Testament), that identifies Jesus as being God. There is an abundance of scripture, so I would bet most could find that quite quickly. I may even try that. Using your I-phone or computer is not allowed. Only flipping through the pages of the Bible is allowed.

Anyone else out there care to try that? I may even throw in an incentive - say $5.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:41 am

dwight92070 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 am
Most 13 or 14 year old kids, could easily see, in the scripture, that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God, and the Father is God. Since there is only One God, then there has to be a true concept, which came to be called "the Trinity".

That would be an interesting experiment. Take a teenager, Christian or not, and ask them if they can find anywhere in the Bible (we should probably limit it to just the New Testament), that identifies Jesus as being God. There is an abundance of scripture, so I would bet most could find that quite quickly. I may even try that. Using your I-phone or computer is not allowed. Only flipping through the pages of the Bible is allowed.

Anyone else out there care to try that? I may even throw in an incentive - say $5.
And then ask them if they can find anywhere in the Bible that identifies Jesus as being a door.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:59 am

Darin,

Surely you jest.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:32 pm

Homer wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:59 am
Darin,

Surely you jest.
Sort of, but mostly proving a point through absurdity.

dwight92070

Post by dwight92070 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:43 pm

I'm not getting it. Please tell us what point you just proved through absurdity.

Return to “General”