Just my idea? (changing churches)

ryan

Re: Just my idea? (changing churches)

Post by ryan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks for the additional thoughts, everyone. It seems like a lot of the problem is just that many churches (at least in the rural area I live, but I suspect it's the same elsewhere) are pretty much locked into the traditional, American concept of what church "should be." I'll have to admit, that until I became familiar with Steve's ministry a few years ago online, that I was in that same mindset more than I realized. I've thought about morbo3000's example, of being able to fellowship with multiple congregations, and I consider that perfectly valid... but I know that many in my local fellowship would really have a hard time accepting that concept. At times, it has seemed to me that the only time the congregation I attend is comfortable with a Christian leaving to another church is if A) a girl marries, and they attend the husband's fellowship, or B) someone is called to pastor somewhere else. Now, I'm likely exaggerating somewhat, but sometimes that's the vibe that I get.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the food for thought. If anyone else has any other thoughts, I'd be glad to read them. Appreciate them all.

Choosethisday

Post by Choosethisday » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:56 pm

There is so much wisdom expressed here and in the other areas of the Theos site so there is little I could add to this subject. However, there are at least two books I have read that I can highly recommend that apply to the ideas presented here. The first and foremost, from the point of view, of churches, is Radical, by David Platt. This book lays forth good illustrations of how the individual members of a church should live. The other book I suggest one read is God Has A Wonderful Plan For Your Life. Don't let the title fool you. The book does an excellent job of contrasting what most of the western church attenders consider reasonable expectations for their life and what the early Christians thought should be expected. The cover shows a person being stoned. Quite an eye opener.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm

I wanted to respond right away to your post Ryan, but I am glad I waited. I love people who are devoted to helping their small church and passionate about the people they call friends. I really love small churches, and bigger ones offer more gifts and talents such as music. I think the small home group is the most important relationship a Christian can have. (I think Morbo illuminated this 'very' well)

Yet - I use to be accused all the time of being a 'church hopper', yet on the other hand I had just escaped from two cults, so tell me; 'who's crazy here?'
I spent my first two years as a Christian trying to bring my Mormon friends out of Mormonism (by reading them the Bible and apologetics), then I helped Ex-Mormons for Jesus ministries. I really wanted a well grounded church to attend regularly but I felt I never was so 'in the Spirit' as when I was attending different churches with the purpose of fellowshipping and evangelizing individual persons. I could wind up at a Catholic service, a Mennonite service, a Lutheran service, a Presbyterian service, a Pentecostal service, an all black church (I'm not black), a Hispanic service, a Chinese church, etc, etc… (I haven’t really stopped to think of how many different churches I have been to before)…
Sometimes my interest in ministry or invitation has had me sitting in a Buddhist Temple, a Hare Krishna dinner, a Sikh Temple (they have them in San Jose), a New Age Festival, a Greek Festival (this weekend), or watching a stage hypnotist put people into a trance … etc. etc. Visiting different religions may not be a safe recommendation for all students of religion but the point in it is that I can glean the good from the false, the pomp and ceremony from the true religion. I can now see the vanity of incense and bells, smoke and statues, fine fabrics and moving chants - in comparison to what God really is concerned with - that is our heart, and - truth - itself.

I was not surprised when I stepped into a giant Catholic cathedral and found people walking around in a labyrinth, and only a short time later having the student leader of our local church group suggest we set up a labyrinth for the youth group (!).

I was going to relate how an employees experience of working for 'different' companies increases their ability to improvise and avoid production pit falls and mistakes, but I will stay on the Bible track to say that God seems to grow us through change, the Christian growth is a Journey - not just a pew and a sermon - God is building a huge family, a huge community, one person at a time. So as a Christian who wants to add value and experience to their experience I recommend visiting other services (with Bible in hand) for input and insight on what you may be missing in your own, and what not to bring home (like labyrinths).

My favorite times were the welcomes and inspiration I got from attending churches other than my own. And also the amazing wonder, and faith building enjoyment, of discovering Christians of 'all sorts' worship God in truth in many sorts of ways. Life is a mission field, and we are sojourners in a foreign land.
"By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise;10 for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God" (Hebrews 11:9-10)

At the end of the day I think its good we all eventually do come back home to our little Church group, a little wiser and happier.

Return to “General”