Ethics of international adoption

darinhouston

Re: Ethics of international adoption

Post by darinhouston » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:24 pm

All I can tell you is I'm pretty plugged into the adoption community -- at least in South Central Texas, almost anyone normal can adopt a black baby or one with health issues in just a few months. If you are willing to adopt beyond newborn, it's easier -- if you adopt sibling groups, it's even easier -- if you go through the State and take babies and young children who have been removed from bad homes or from those going into prison, etc., it's even easier. Etc.

If you know someone in Texas who has had a bad experience or "run-around" then I'll tell you they probably had a bad agency. Most of those issues I've heard have come from the "fancier" agencies and not from the smaller Christian organizations. Done right, the law is very supportive.

brody196

Post by brody196 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm

darinhouston wrote:All I can tell you is I'm pretty plugged into the adoption community -- at least in South Central Texas, almost anyone normal can adopt a black baby or one with health issues in just a few months. If you are willing to adopt beyond newborn, it's easier -- if you adopt sibling groups, it's even easier -- if you go through the State and take babies and young children who have been removed from bad homes or from those going into prison, etc., it's even easier. Etc.

If you know someone in Texas who has had a bad experience or "run-around" then I'll tell you they probably had a bad agency. Most of those issues I've heard have come from the "fancier" agencies and not from the smaller Christian organizations. Done right, the law is very supportive.
I'm not sure which agency my friend's are going through, but I will check into it. They want a baby so bad and can't seem to catch a break. The system here in Georgia seems to be very flawed. I know of another case here in my hometown where the local pharmacist had to fight for a long time to adopt two minority children whom the state had taken from an unfit mother. She eventually got custody, but there was a lot of unnecessary things she had to go through.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 pm

I should clarify that at least in Texas the state adoptions can be more complicated and risky because the parental rights are usually being severed without consent, but placement itself is usually pretty quick -- as long as they are ok with the risk that the placement isn't final right away and is more of a foster situation at first while the courts deal with the parental rights, it can be a good solution -- it's usually free (vs. $30k and upwards for an agency adoption) and health care is usually provided by the state (I think maybe even for a good number of years if not the entirey of the child's age of minority). I have several friends who have gone that route -- It's a real ministry for changing these kids' lives, and the only option for some who can't afford other adoption avenues.

Choosethisday

Post by Choosethisday » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

In discussing this issue with others a common objection has come up. This being that if the massive amounts needed to raise a child is not used to internationally adopt orphans it likely will not be given to Gods’ work anyway. I agree this is a possibility. However, as with many things believers are called on to do in being wise servants of God’s resources we are still required to do our best. So just because we often don’t do our best for God doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing it. It just means we are missing Gods’ ideal for our life.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:45 pm

The massive amounts of money used to raise a child in my case is being used to raise two children, each adopted. I determine that to be God's work and would be offended if someone suggests otherwise just because they weren't born in another country. Just something to point out to your friends. I think God's work is all around us and though I have a heart for missions, think people can get dogmatic about their own preferences for where and how and through whom God works.

Choosethisday

Post by Choosethisday » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for that insight. I have seen those in my church and on adoption forums who approach adoption as though they were thinking about the latest fashion trend. The subject is simply too serious to approach lightly. And as implied in your post, we also have an orphan crises in this country. If we didn’t have so many children who desperately need homes it would be more understandable, at least from a motivation point of view, as to why IA is pursued. But from what I have seen there hasn’t been much maturity shown by those considering IA. Once again, thanks for the insight.

Fairlight

Post by Fairlight » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Paidion wrote:there are millions of unwanted children who need homes, as well as millions of wanted ones whose parents cannot afford to feed them. These children need homes. I see this need to be paramount. Any argument against adopting these children pales in comparison to the need. God commands us to feed the hungry and care for the orphans.
As an adoptee myself, I have very strong feelings on this subject.
First...adoption, as it is currently practiced in this country, is a multi-billion dollar business that is completely UNREGULATED. Second...children who are "wanted" by their parents, should stay with their parents...in most cases. If the parents cannot afford to feed them, shouldn't the church step in and help feed them? Why do we need to remove the child from the family in order to provide food? The Bible says to feed the hungry and care for widows and orphans....it doesn't necessarily mean to "take" the child away from their country and everyone that child knows and loves. If a child is truly orphaned (both parents dead), then the child should go to extended family. If that isn't possible, then the child should be adopted, preferably by a family in the child's own country. IA should only be a consideration as a last resort.

I have been an adoptee rights activist for many years and there is much corruption in the adoption industry...such as, coerced relinquishment, child trafficking, open adoption agreements that were reneged on (O.A. are mostly legally unenforceable), Babies taken from parents without their consent (an investigation is underway in Canada over this).

I've encountered so many first-parents that wanted their babies and would have kept them if they had only been given some help and encouragement to do so. Family preservation should be the desired outcome....if that isn't an option, then adoption may be the answer.

Blessings,
Fairlight
[b][i][color=#FF80BF]"Look, I go forward, but He is not there, and backward, but I cannot perceive Him...But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold." ~ Job 23:8, 10[/color][/i][/b]

Choosethisday

Post by Choosethisday » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 am

Fairlight, you hit it on the head. We can start to be less judicious with God's resources when the needs of so many orphans are not going unmet. Unfortunately this is not likely to happen soon. For now we need to be wise stewards and do our best to reach the most orphans with the best help we can.

Return to “General”