Tebow and shining lights vs. prayer in a closet

darinhouston

Tebow and shining lights vs. prayer in a closet

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:12 am

So, how do you balance Matthew 5:16 and Matthew 6:5-6 in the Tim Tebow context?

In other words, what does it mean to let your light shine if it doesn't mean public displays of religion or fishes on cars, etc?

mattrose

Re: Tebow and shining lights vs. prayer in a closet

Post by mattrose » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 am

I'm sure it really comes down to motivation. If your motivation is to be seen by men so that what they think of you is positive, then you're motivation is wrong. If your motivation is to be seen by men so that what they think of Jesus is positive, then you're motivation is right. Personally, I think public prayer, having a fish on your car, and stuff like that is, perhaps, more likely to be associated with the negative than stuff like helping the needy... but I wouldn't judge an individual case since I am not a heart surgeon :)
Last edited by mattrose on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 am

So, how do you balance Matthew 5:16 and Matthew 6:5-6 in the Tim Tebow context?

In other words, what does it mean to let your light shine if it doesn't mean public displays of religion or fishes on cars, etc?

Tebow regularly visits kids in hospitals before football games and seems like a sincere believer so i think his displays are admirable but obviously there are many other positive ways to let your light shine.
There are plenty of famous sports figures who beat there chests and scream how great they are when they make a good play in a game so to me Tebow is a breath of fresh air.

SamIam

Post by SamIam » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Perhaps he should display his thanks after fumbles and interceptions instead of touchdowns.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm

This was my response to a friend on the subject...

So, I think his light shines when he does all his good deeds (see Matthew 5) and that gives him a platform for that light to be directed to Christ when he's interviewed, etc. in a modest and honest way -- folks will know he's a Christian without the spectacle he's created which -- face it -- this seems to have made "him" the center of attention and not "Him." When he says he sets up xyz foundation because of his love for his brothers and His Christ, that shines a light for Christ. But, this is a platform for ridicule. I don't remember Eric Lidell kneeling and praying publicaly, though his story sure caused Christ's light and that of the gospel to shine through his sport. I'm sure his intentions are good, but I don't think it's a good model. People will know we are Christians by our love for each other -- a supernatural and radical love expressed in the lack of poverty in our body of believers (fail!) and in our sacrifices for each other (fail!) and our holding them accountable for the marital vows (big fail!) -- we are to lead a radically different life from those around us and not simply avoid scandalous public sins so that folks have reason to say "man, there's something different and attractive about that group of folk." I don't see that today, and no amount of public prayer, profession, or fishes on cars will make up for that failure.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

But, this is a platform for ridicule. I don't remember Eric Lidell kneeling and praying publicaly, though his story sure caused Christ's light and that of the gospel to shine through his sport. I'm sure his intentions are good, but I don't think it's a good model.

Tebow's actual prayer is on the sidelines (i think) and quite brief and IMO very modest. It's only received such publicity because Tebow engineered some amazing football game comebacks and his prayer of thanks gets mixed in with everything by the media.
Many kids idolize Tebow and copy him so it's likely some will come to Christ even if this isn't the ideal method. Tebow may be ridiculed by some but they would probably ridicule any Christian in the public domain.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm

I just don't see why he can't just pray quietly to himself. I'm as devoted and unashamed as the next guy, but hearing folks pray at dinner tables in public is very annoying to me, also. It's almost an anti-social attitude of "you can't stop me" or "I hope someone casts me a glance so I can feel like a martyr" or some such. I don't know what it is, but it just strikes me as out of place. Maybe it's me.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 am

I just don't see why he can't just pray quietly to himself. I'm as devoted and unashamed as the next guy, but hearing folks pray at dinner tables in public is very annoying to me, also. It's almost an anti-social attitude of "you can't stop me" or "I hope someone casts me a glance so I can feel like a martyr" or some such. I don't know what it is, but it just strikes me as out of place. Maybe it's me.

I understand your point but he really does quietly pray by himself. He doesn't tell his teammates to gather around him, he doesn't invite the media but he does feel the need to thank God immediately and he does not have time to run into a closet. The act of bending his knee may be what attracts attention but i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that in his mind it means something important.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I never knew this until a friend told me. After every NFL game, there is a long standing tradition. When many in the crowds have left the stadium, and after the media has mostly left, many people gather at the 50 yard line. Who are these people? These are the players from both teams who are believers. They all gather at centerfield and pray to God. It's not only a Christian thing, since people of other faiths come too.

My friend went to the Broncos Patriots game two weeks ago. He said Tebow wasn't out there but many of the other players were. He said he was being swarmed by TV people and other interviewers... But it does seem like it would be a more humble way of thanking God in private.

I believe God is glorified either way though... Whether Tebow gets publicity and uses it to promote the name of Jesus, or whether an unknown lineman prays by himself. The world will always mock. I think it's cool that Tebow has gotten such a platform, but sometimes I think he could be a little less "in your face" with his faith. After all, I don't think God is very interested in football (since Tebow lost pretty bad in his last game). To thank God for every touchdown is a little overboard, since It's clear that Tebow also fumbles and throws interceptions and loses games too. It sounds bad but I think football is really a game of "survival of the fittest". If anything, I think God might want to humble Tebow and let Him lose so God proves to the world that what is esteemable in man's eyes is an abomination in His eyes. All in all, though, I still enjoy football even though there is no beneficial purpose of watching it. I just think it's an exciting sport.

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:00 am

Christian Brits have their own shining hero in a different field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9oTbBUtR8
but as you can see from the comments, he probably stirs up even more cynicism than Tebow.

Return to “General”