Church Giving Away A Charitable Donation

TK

Church Giving Away A Charitable Donation

Post by TK » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 am

The church I attend, like many other churches over the past couple of years, is in rather dire financial straits. I won't go into all of the boring details, other than there are various factors, some internal and some external (like the economy), that have come together to create a rather desperate situation, including possible foreclosure on the building if things don't turn around in the next year.

Another church in the area (that our church helped to plant) has generously and w/o solicitation offered a rather substantial sum of money (likely more than they can afford) to assist my church in its struggling finances.

It was announced at church a few days ago that the elders of my church had decided to tithe on the amount we are receiving from this other church, in the form of assistance to missionaries and other local ministries like the food bank and homeless shelter.

I struggle with this (and I believe others in my congregation are as well), because this other church is giving this money sacrificially for a specific reason, namely to help my church financially. If this other church wants to give to these worthy causes, of course they may do so. And my church certainly may do so as well from the giving of those who attend there. But I don't feel exactly right about giving someone else's money away.

For example, if a friend or family member came to me who was in desperate need- perhaps they need to make a mortgage payment or pay a medical bill, and I give them a substantial sum of money to assist in that very purpose, I am not sure how I would feel if they in turn took some of that money and diverted it somewhere else.

Now I realize that most people here do not believe that tithing is the NT standard for giving, but apart from that I was hoping that in general some of you would comment on this issue.

Thanks!

TK

steve7150

Re: Church Giving Away A Charitable Donation

Post by steve7150 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:36 pm

I struggle with this (and I believe others in my congregation are as well), because this other church is giving this money sacrificially for a specific reason, namely to help my church financially. If this other church wants to give to these worthy causes, of course they may do so. And my church certainly may do so as well from the giving of those who attend there. But I don't feel exactly right about giving someone else's money away.

As a practical matter even if your church accepts these funds and applies it exclusively to bills then that would leave other monies available to give to these causes, which the eldership could still do. Also the other church could specify that they want their funds used only for certain church financial obligations.
I think your church should communicate with the other church about their intentions and respect whatever feedback is given.

TK

Re: Church Giving Away A Charitable Donation

Post by TK » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I was thinking along the same lines, Steve.

TK

Return to “General”