Getting Burned out on Theology?

Jason

Re: Getting Burned out on Theology?

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:18 am

Karen, the issue I'm strugging with is not so much related to fellowship or a particular worship group. The problem is more related to "too much study, not enough charity." I have more patience with unbelievers but find I'm often rolling my eyes at other Christians.

Suzana, thank you for reminding me of those (seemingly related) scriptures. I'll make it a priority to practice the faith with more balance.

Tk/Darin, I don't think there's any danger that I'll abandon the intellectual side of our persuit. I'm not even sure I could do that if I wished to because my mind will always gravitate toward those things. But there is a profound lack of balance in my life right now and that is what's causing this "burnt out" feeling. It seems like the more I learn the less I love others which is strange. I tend to look down on the "end times madness" crowd even though I was at one time a card-carrying member. :)

christopher

Post by christopher » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 am

HI Jason,

I'm really glad you brought up this topic. A lot of what you said really resonates with me as well. As you might have noticed, I've been more of a lurker than a poster on this board in the last year. Granted, most of that is probably because I simply have very little time to enter into discussions since my third son was born last December (I really don't even have the time to be writing this post). But it's also partly because I got to the point that I'd rather pluck my eye out with a spoon than to enter into (or even read) another circular debate on Calvinism, Universalism, or Eschatology. Not that there is anything wrong with those types of discussions per se. But when an innocent quest for truth gets reduced to a mere contest of the wits and the wills, the fruit begins to sour a bit.

Some years ago, someone told me a lake needs an outlet or else the water becomes stale. But it also needs an inlet lest it runs dry. If we find ourselves simply taking in without giving out, we can easily experience that burn out you're describing. My outlet is teaching. I like to teach kids (especially my own) and adults alike. I also like to disarm unbelievers' stereotypes of Christian theology by presenting alternatives to what they presuppose all Christians believe.

I love the fact that I have the freedom and confidence to exclude certain theological presuppositions about hell or Satan from my child's homeschool curriculum. Or cut out the cleverly masked works oriented teaching about how to "prepare to meet Jesus" (which makes me gag) from a Sunday school curriculum. Or speak plainly about various views of just about any topic to a group of inmates who've never been exposed to any other views than what they've been spoon fed by their church. I love to watch the lights come on as they're minds are freed from the tyranny of unnecessary dogma.

Those have been the benefits of my years of studying and discussing theology. Suzana (or I should say James) is right about being "doers" and not "hearers" only.

Anyway, I could say more, but I need to go change a diaper right now. :D

Thanks again for raising this topic....I for one need constant reminders of why I do what I do.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Christpher, thank you for taking the time to chime in. Your input in valuable here. I have to admit that I've experienced some of the benefits you outlined. Just yesterday I was working on a film set and at lunch somehow the topic of demons came up. This one girl asked me if I believe in demons and I told her it was a part of my Christian worldview. Then the guy seated beside me asked, "So do you think Christians can be demon possessed?" After I gave my answer (or various answers to be accurate) the guy wanted to know if I thought demon possession could be written off as a psychological state. I seriously felt like Steve Gregg fielding calls. :D

Those random conversations get me excited, especially when they come from unbelivers. This was a good case of my theological "training" coming in quite handy. So I would never say it doesn't have great value. It's just that I know myself very well (being kind of an introspective nerd) and I'm very all-or-nothing. It doesn't matter what the issue, I either fold or shove my chips all in. The downside of such a disposition is that when I'm focused on one thing, I'm unable to equally focus on something else. So if my mind is wrapped up in theology then my mind is not wrapped up in loving others.

This relates especially to theological studies because once you become convinced of an unpopular truth (thanks, Steve!) then there's often a me vs. them mentality. My sister-in-law is a die hard dispensationalist but she's not well read. She e-mailed me a college paper she wrote to proof read for her. It was dripping with "End Times Madness" and went on and on about the 144,000 Jews that would be saved during the Millenial Kingdon since they are God's chosen, etc. I told her the paper was well written but poorly researched. She didn't take too well to that and I aired my grievances, picking her apart point-by-point. After my e-mail "assault" she simply responded, "I haven't heard those things before... frankly it sounds really weird. But who knows." I think some of my hairs actually turned gray at that point.

My wife was also rebuked by some church friends at a bowling alley. One of them made a joke and my wife said, "You're so crazy." The woman, apparently quite taken in by the word of faith movement, told her to "watch what she confesses" with this serious tone. My wife later told me the story because she didn't understand what the woman meant. That really got my blood boiling.

I realize that knowing truth from error is a wonderful thing. But I have to admit that back when I didn't know any theology I got along with people much better and judged them less. :)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Jason wrote: I realize that knowing truth from error is a wonderful thing. But I have to admit that back when I didn't know any theology I got along with people much better and judged them less. :)
I definitely agree with that (and the other posts). What a great opportunity that has been for me, though, to see the state of my true heart. If I just "went-along" like the others, I might not realize that this was lurking there all along just under the surface -- now I have to deal with it when it comes up, and I hate that but it's probably a good thing in the long run. Through my studies, I've definitely had to begin learning how to temper my pride and disdain for those not only who disagree with me but (mostly) for those who don't know any better and don't seem to care but would be the first to judge my beliefs as heretical if they heard them.

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Jason,

Your comments regarding getting burned out on theology immediately brought to mind David Bercot's statement in the preface to his A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs. Bercot writes:

The early church concentrated chiefly on the nature of Christian living because the essential core of Christian belief (i.e. the "rule of faith") can be expressed quite briefly. The church believed that the Christian faith is a fairly simple one.

This is a tempting thought, but then we have a lot to contend with that they didn't. Calvinism was unheard of, as was dispensationalism. No contoversy over infant baptism, or baptism by immersion or sprinkling. A great list could be made over issues that have come up through the centuries.

I once heard a young couple claim that Jesus never condemned premarital sex between people who were serious about their relationship. Surprisingly, it is not so easy to prove He did with only a cursory reading of the scriptures. Much study is needed if we are to teach, disciple, and counsel others, but not all are called to do so.

RickC

Post by RickC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 am

Greetings :)

If I make a "real reply" on this thread....
Would you guys mind if I get kinda "theological"?
Or even pretty theological?
Or maybe even, like, a lot?

Sounds like I'm joking around, huh?
Okay, I'm being humorous, sure, ;)
But I seriously do ask....
'Don't wanna burn you folks out any more than you/we/I are! :shock:

Till next time,
Take care, :)

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:28 am

Rick, you are free to espouse theology on my anti-theology thread. :lol: Actually, that's a jest as I'm very much in favor of studying the Scriptures, though I might have to set a partition between that and over consumption of theology since they are different categories.

I have probably opened too wide a topic so let me Narrow the Path (Sorry, couldn't resist). The issue for which I'm seeking counsel is this: The more I become convinced of certain theological positions, the less love and patience I feel toward others. The fact that most of my views are unpopular makes it worse because it now becomes a common occurance to strongly disagree with someone. Before I held any firm theological positions I was probably more fun to be around.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 am

Jason,

Jesus had some pretty firm positions and He wasn't much fun to be around for some folks either. Maybe you are too hard on yourself.

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I think that there is another reformation brewing. The change in Church thinking has to change that much. But such change may not be for another 50 years. So some stuff being found now are just some of those small bubbles before things boil.

It seem you need to just be patient with what you learn. God's purpose and timing holds most significance. And not everyone will accept the ideas. So in my studies I basically have tried to study and present the ideas methodically. Then people may eventually agree based on the logic or may find a problem in the logic (Nah. How could I make a mistake? :o )

Another thought here is that I don't expect any specific person to change who has heard or read my arguments. Maybe this comes in part because I have a minority view and just have to accept rejection. But also, God didn't say that I would have to change people's minds -- be it on an individual or organizational level.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Return to “General”