Church discipline!? Which church? Matt 18:15

_Anonymous

Church discipline!? Which church? Matt 18:15

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:26 am

Steve,

Regarding Matt. 18:15, what would you consider a sin in these Bible verses? If someone sins against me from a different church than I go to, to which church do we go? Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic.....?

Love,
Monterey Tom (Roman Catholic)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:27 am

Hi Tom,

As for the definition of “sin.” I would be inclined to say that the sin that requires church discipline would be that which is a violation of a clearly-stated command of God in Scripture (e.g., theft, murder, adultery…). “Sin is the transgression of the law” (1 John 3:4). Where the Scripture is not explicit, and is unclear in its commands, so that genuine Christians might reach different conclusions, I believe no church discipline is called for, but rather the upholding of the biblical principle of Christian liberty and unity amid diversity (Romans 14:1-5/ 1 Cor.12:12-25).

Your second question underscores a real problem among Protestant churches. Regardless which church initiates the discipline, there is always another church that will disregard it and welcome the unrepentant sinner. This is indeed a problem. However, if the Roman Catholic church excommunicates a person, it is also possible for that person to find a church of another denomination to take them in...so the problem exists with every church.

Ideally, the discipline will take place in the church of which the sinning party has been a regular part, so that, at least the prospect of losing the fellowship of his friends may weigh upon him. This doesn't always work, unfortunately.

This problem is not a result of the existence of independent, free congregations, but rather, it is the result of sinful disunity among such congregations. I suppose that, if the Catholic church was still the only church available, the excommunicated party could still find some cult or secular club to accept him. The problem is not the lack of a centralized church authority, but of disunity among local congregations...a disunity that is by no means inevitable from the existence of such congregations. Just as Catholic parishes may be united by their common loyalty to the pope, so also non-catholic groups can be more united than they now are by their common loyalty to Christ and the Scriptures. Such loyalty and unity actually does exist in some cases across denominational lines. Just, unfortunately, not in every case.

Thanks for calling, writing and caring.

Your brother in Christ,
Steve
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “General”