The Longest Known English Word

darinhouston

Re: The Longest Known English Word

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Paidion wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:08 pm
Dwight wrote:In John 1 , John tells us that the Word, as the second person of the Trinity, existed, even before Creation, with God, and in fact, was God

John 1:1 says NOTHING about the Word being "the second person of the Trinity".
Yes, He existed with God even before creation. For God begat Him as the first of His acts.
John 1 does not state that He was God, but rather that He was "God stuff", that is, that He was divine—the divine Son of God.
In fact it doesn't even say that the WORD is the same as the Son. The WORD became enfleshed in Jesus (this is similar in some ways to saying that God's plans have been made manifest). So, whatever the WORD was, the WORD wasn't Jesus before creation. If anything, it is the WORD that is the second person of the Trinity, but I don't think you can prove personality of the WORD from Scripture (personification is not the same as personhood).

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 pm

Darin wrote:...but I don't think you can prove personality of the WORD from Scripture (personification is not the same as personhood).
How about John 1:3 [still referring to the WORD (the expression of God)]?

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Is the WORD not referred to as "him" in this sentence?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Paidion wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 pm
Darin wrote:...but I don't think you can prove personality of the WORD from Scripture (personification is not the same as personhood).
How about John 1:3 [still referring to the WORD (the expression of God)]?

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Is the WORD not referred to as "him" in this sentence?
Again, personification does not equate to personality. Consider how Sophia/Wisdom is spoken of in Proverbs 8.

Return to “General”