Admins & Mods

Post Problems, Suggestions, or Comments about the New Forum.
Suzana

Admins & Mods

Post by Suzana » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Steve wrote:Because you are fairly new here, you may not know that I am the one who makes decisions about banning participants. I usually put up with a lot of nonsense from someone before I ban them, but the quality of the dialogue here is important enough to me that, if someone continues to degrade the discussions, I have been known to ban them.
Steve, would it be a good idea to have you coloured orange again & Darin and other moderators, green?

It might be helpful for new members to know who's who.
And perhaps remind us to mind our p's and q's (I wonder where this phrase originated, & what its stands for)!
Last edited by Suzana on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzana

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikew

Re: Admins & Mods

Post by mikew » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Nah Karen... being an LDS isn't too much a problem here.

But I'm still trying to figure out your responses.

One thing I appreciated and which showed you read the discussions is that you complemented me on my argument.

I'm still waiting to see a discussion on Theology or on scripture that results in some similar conclusions between us.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Jill

Post by Jill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikew

Post by mikew » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 pm

mikew wrote:I'm still waiting to see a discussion on Theology or on scripture that results in some similar conclusions between us.
karenprtlnd wrote:Only in spelling maybe.
Ok. We can start with that.
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:03 am

Suzana wrote:
And perhaps remind us to mind our p's and q's (I wonder where this phrase originated, & what its stands for)!
I'll take a stab at it - "p"s and "q"s, in the lower-case, might be confused with one another by schoolchildren when learning how to write, though perhaps not so much as lower-case "b"s and "d"s. Perhaps you remember as a child, trying to remember which side of the circle to put the tail on? We also have the expression, "dotting all your 'i's and crossing all your 't's" - another potential slip-up for schoolchildren, but one that adults are more likely to make, too.
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 pm

P's & q's.

"Pints and quarts."

One origin story of "mind your Ps and Qs" comes from English pubs and taverns of the seventeenth century. Bartenders would keep a watch on the alcohol consumption of the patrons; keeping an eye on the pints and quarts that were consumed. As a reminder to the patrons, the bartender would recommend they "mind their Ps and Qs."
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

kaufmannphillips

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Now who's using Wikipedia? ;)
========================
"The more something is repeated, the more it becomes an unexamined truth...." (Nicholas Thompson)
========================

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:30 pm

There are a number of different theories as to the meaning of "Mind your Ps and Qs", but RND's explanation is the most common. I heard that same explanation a long time ago.

One variation of it is that the customer is asking the bartender to "mind your pints and quarts", in other words "Make sure you give me a full measure of the ale if you expect full payment."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

RND

Post by RND » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:35 pm

Ale = liquid bread!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Return to “New Forum”