Discussion about rap on Friday

Discuss topics raised by callers on the radio program
Ian

Discussion about rap on Friday

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:17 pm

I also don`t like rap, and like Steve, would be inclined to head for another room when I hear it. But I don`t think the sound is inherently evil either. It depends.
The following piece brilliantly captures the pain of human life in 5 minutes. Unwanted pregnancy, lonely widower attempting suicide, heartbroken mother over her son shot in the head. The effect is to increase my compassion for people. See if you agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuvj65actc

Michelle

Re: Discussion about rap on Friday

Post by Michelle » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm unusual, I think, because even though I'm well past my shelf-date, I don't mind rap. I don't have it on my iTunes playlist, but I don't hate it, either. Anyway, this man was my student when he was a child and I find this edifying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYFxp7apl4

Edited: maybe this particular video isn't considered "rap" as much as "spoken word," but Propaganda does do rap as well.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:43 pm

...this man was my student when he was a child...
Wow Michelle, what a wonderfully small world. Propaganda is one of my favorites.
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 pm

jeremiah wrote:
...this man was my student when he was a child...
Wow Michelle, what a wonderfully small world. Propaganda is one of my favorites.
You know, he was a remarkable child. I remembered him fondly, which is unusual because after a number of years the names and faces blend into a blur. 25 years after he was in my fifth grade class, I heard him interviewed and they called him by his real name. I contacted him, and sure enough, it was my former student. I also enjoy his work he is intelligent, insightful, and funny.

crgfstr1

Post by crgfstr1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Michelle wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYFxp7apl4

Edited: maybe this particular video isn't considered "rap" as much as "spoken word," but Propaganda does do rap as well.
Wow! Very well done if you ask me. Very good message packaged up to reach many who probably would listen otherwise and wasn't watered down to do so.

jeremiah

Post by jeremiah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for sharing that Michelle. Since everybody is linking to edifying songs, here are a couple that are dear to me. One is by Propaganda collaborating with Beautiful Eulogy and Ascend the Hill: Lofty

And the other is self titled song by Beautiful Eulogy, another one of my favorites. This song is a live recording. I should also mention, if anyone would like to support these artists(Propaganda or Beautiful Eulogy), their music can be found on Itunes or on their record label's website. Humble Beast is the name, and all artists on this label make their albums available for free download if you would like.

Grace and peace
Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:22 am

Fantastic Michelle. It sure eclipses the one I linked to (though at least it got the ball rolling). Some great lyrics in there. It repays more than one watch.

For a woman past her shelf-life you`ve still got very white teeth. You should see what 50 years of drinking black tea has done to mine!

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:33 am

Ian wrote:Fantastic Michelle. It sure eclipses the one I linked to (though at least it got the ball rolling). Some great lyrics in there. It repays more than one watch.

For a woman past her shelf-life you`ve still got very white teeth. You should see what 50 years of drinking black tea has done to mine!
Crest White Strips

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 am

I dare say I would read "does not ship to Switzerland" were I to find it on Amazon!

Return to “Radio Program Topics”